Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well what a contrast. Yesterday was lots of blue skies and felt quite warm despite the strong wind. Today has lots of very low cloud, a stiff breeze and very damp. Only good thing is for once it's been the 'correct way around' i.e. decent weekend then deteriorates as we go back to work.

As promised, snow patch pictures from Cairngorms on Saturday...

The first 2 were taken from Loch Etchachan looking towards Ben Macdui, the second two from near the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin lookign towards Cairn Gorm. Difficult to tell the extent from the pictures, but the large patch in the last one looked pretty deep from a distance.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Another very nice day here at 24'C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Another very nice day here at 24'C

Hmm not sure it got anywhere near that warm and we only got fleeting glimpses of the sun. Bit of a blustery wind at times.

Posted

Not too bad a day at all here actually after the rain cleared. Obviously not as hot as yesterday but didn't feel too shabby at all

tumbleweed.jpg

Aye, there's not much weathering going on at the moment.

The charts do seem to be cooking up a high pressure for the start of September, as usual it's all down to orientation & positioning. The GFS has it quite far south with reasonable 850 temps, while the ECM draws cooler air from the Arctic with some fairly low 850 temps. Fingers crossed for slap bang over us and a week of settled, calm, sunny and dry weather at last.

Posted

tumbleweed.jpg

Looks a lot drier where you are than it's been here. Is that the road out to Ullapool? Looks like potential President Trump has been visiting Scotland again and had his hairpiece blown off. :whistling:

Yesterday here was a truly dismal day. Not horrendously wet or anything, but very low cloud and mist all day. Today isn't too much better. Mist has gone but still virtually 100% cloud cover and a brisk wind.

• Like 4

Posted

Dear all,

Firstly, let me introduce myself: my name is Pedro and I am originally from Barcelona but I am going to be based in Dollar (Clackmannanshire) for the next few months. I have lived in the UK for the last four years, and so I have been an adept to this forum, but I have not participated much, as I felt I had not loads to share. However, this all could change really soon. Let me tell you why.

The reason why I am in Dollar is because I am going to be this session's Spanish assistant. Prior to my arrival, though, they asked me what other areas of interest I had in order to contribute to the school's co-curricular project, and obvs the first thing that came up was 'meteorology!'. So, my idea always was to set up a weather station. Now that I am finally here, enjoying the delights of this utterly variable climate of yours, I have had the chance to have a word with the Geography dept. and everyone is super excited about my idea and want to help me to make it come to fruition.

Nevertheless, I thought that I would ask for your views and thoughts on the matter. It would be really useful if you could tell me what stations are better, what sort of software we would need for data to be streamed live and with no need of -constant- supervision from the teaching staff. I have done some research and found out about the wireless Davis Vantage Vue and the Weatherlink IP system. Do you think they are good and reliable enough for a school context? Would we need great IT knowledge in order to set it up? Be as critical with this as you want and do not hesitate to recommend any other stations you want, I do not think money is a problem as God knows this school has the means and I am guessing they will value durability over price.

I cannot express how excited I am about this whole thing, I have been crazy about the weather for as long as I can remember and I always wanted to set up my own weather station, so it is great that I am getting the chance to learn the more technical aspect of meteorology.

Thanks a lot for your help!!! I will be looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Pedro.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Yesterday was reasonably nice, reached a high of only 16.5c though so 3c below average. Shows how poor this summer has been if I'm saying yesterday was a acceptance day.

Was sunnyish and dry at least (until evening when it rained a bit).

A short severe spell of rain hit about 9am today, torrential in bursts. I don't usually use the word torrential (it's overused) however in the past few days the rain has been particularly heavy.

Ground is so wet just now.

Doesn't bode well at all for autumn.

Let's hope for a drier than normal autumn and a cold and dry (snowy would be fine!) winter.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted

Wet here again this morning but a bit cooler at 14c. Still a bit off from harvest and most of the younger farmers round about are like coiled springs ready to go and getting frustrated over the potentially late harvest , they have been spoilt with modern earlier ripening varities of spring barley which lead to an August harvest, but 40 odd years ago a September harvest was the norm although even I like to have spring barley cut by the middle of the month before the risk of equinoxial gales increases

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have done some research and found out about the wireless Davis Vantage Vue and the Weatherlink IP system. Do you think they are good and reliable enough for a school context? 

Welcome to the Forum peb, Yes the Davis/weatherlink is ideal. Have one myself an excellent piece of kit.

Posted

Strange how SWS is needing to evolve webbed feet, whereas it's been merely damp here - the runner beans have needed watering weekly for a while now.

Also I've had my idea of torrential rain put in context. There's a weather station close to where we stayed in France a couple of years ago - I look at its stats (via Meteo) occasionally still, usually in summer because it can get remarkably hot there. I looked yesterday and the standout fact was how the drought came to an end recently with over 4" of rain in one hour!

Posted

Hmm not sure it got anywhere near that warm and we only got fleeting glimpses of the sun. Bit of a blustery wind at times.

The sun was out a lot of the day here, was feeling really quite warm at times! Last two days have been less inspiring to say the least.

Posted

It's got a lot brighter after a wet start. Funny thing is despite the poor summer the wet start like this morning has not happened all that much

Sunshine, showers and a stiff breeze today. Charts still on course for some kind of HP close, or to NW of us. Some classic September HP weather would be brilliant, one of my favourites outside autumn and winter.

Posted

Just been out lifting potatoes - earlies!  Feels cool, damp and autumnal this evening but it's nice to be active outside again.

• Like 2

Just been out lifting potatoes - earlies!  Feels cool, damp and autumnal this evening but it's nice to be active outside again.

Glad you're back up on your feet again.

Cool, breezy and showery for many of us today and tomorrow. Is summer over or will the HP we're still on track for next week bring something decent at long last?

Posted

Another delightfully wet start to the day. Dried up now but for how long

Posted

Dry start here and now sunny,13'C currently. The last couple days are quite the change from the warm conditions we enjoyed previously but pleasant enough!

Posted

Up to 15.5C in Dyce with broken cloud, sunny spells and a brisk breeze. Just been out for a stroll and it's pretty pleasant in the sun despite the breeze.

Posted

Out west the midges appear to be trying to make up for lost time!! Worst kind of weather, mild, still and damp too!  :help:

Oh dear!

Posted

Had 1 nasty shower today but been drier than I thought it might have been

Posted

Dry day here, mostly sunny with occasional periods of cloud.