Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

I didn't know that Scotland has had it so bad this summer, totally the opposite to down here in the SE where we hit 37c, which was unpleasant to say the least. Don't know if this has already been posted in here, but it explains why you have been stuck in autumn all summer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33854146

Thanks for the link, I wish he had explained why the Jetstream was further south than normal though. Have the below average SSTs in the Atlantic caused it, or is it "just one of those things". A bit more detail would have been good rather than what was given.

Here are two SST charts, one dated two days ago and one from the 11th August last year. The change is large, to say the least (last year's is the first chart):

post-2844-0-30311500-1439359828_thumb.gipost-2844-0-18782700-1439359823_thumb.gi

It's not been too bad weather wise down here in the past few days, the farmers are getting the crops harvested at a decent pace. You can't move round here for farm equipment up and down the road, not that I'm cursing them on the way to work, honest. This pic is a bit gloomy but the scene gave a nice feeling of a hard day's work well done by the farmers/harvesters:

post-2844-0-19258200-1439360034_thumb.jp

Posted

Thanks for the link, I wish he had explained why the Jetstream was further south than normal though. Have the below average SSTs in the Atlantic caused it, or is it "just one of those things". A bit more detail would have been good rather than what was given.

Here are two SST charts, one dated two days ago and one from the 11th August last year. The change is large, to say the least (last year's is the first chart):

attachicon.gifSST Chart 11th August 2014.gifattachicon.gifSST Chart 10th August 2015.gif

It's not been too bad weather wise down here in the past few days, the farmers are getting the crops harvested at a decent pace. You can't move round here for farm equipment up and down the road, not that I'm cursing them on the way to work, honest. This pic is a bit gloomy but the scene gave a nice feeling of a hard day's work well done by the farmers/harvesters:

attachicon.gif014a.jpg

Think they will be very wary of giving out reasons even if they know as it may have a  verybig effect on our weather if permenant.

Its probably autumn sown crops you are seeing harvested(2 weeks late too possibly) but all spring sown crops up here will be September harvested probably two to three weeks later than normal and with the handicap of shorter damper days.

Autumn is appearing as all the trees are starting to turn yellow  here probably due to the lack of sunshine this summer Grass growth has virtually stopped and we are still feeding cattle. This is of the most bizarre growing seasons I have seen on a par with 1985 but with massive extremes of cool and heat in NW Europe

• Like 3

Posted

Just like yesterday here. Cloudy and still. Not warm or cold. Just about right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just like yesterday here. Cloudy and still. Not warm or cold. Just about right

Much less cloudy here than forecast so it's actually looking quite nice outside at the moment. Lack of cloud has also allowed the temperature to climb to the dizzy heights of 17.1C in Dyce. Flags mainly droopy so not much wind either.

Much less cloudy here than forecast so it's actually looking quite nice outside at the moment. Lack of cloud has also allowed the temperature to climb to the dizzy heights of 17.1C in Dyce. Flags mainly droopy so not much wind either.

Glorious sunshine here, but the temp is still "only" 19ºC on the 12th of August. Not that I'm complaining, it looks set to be clear across the south for the meteors tonight and it's a lovely evening :D

Posted

Nice photos Cheggers, is that Lake Balaton?

Yes, and what a fantastic place it is. Sorry for the delay in replying\posting but work gone mad and been out and about. Just in from sunny Scarborough. Long drive and got stuck behind a RTC but what a view I had atop Sutton Bank.

11816095_10153157528095829_3828892345331

• Like 1

Posted

The cloud broke up in the afternoon. Actually got really quite warm. Bliss. Should be warmer tomorrow too before a iffy day friday (unlikely to be thundery though)

Posted

Glorious blue sky morning. A bit chilly earlier on at around 8C but hopefully it'll warm up nicely.

Posted

Yes Rave. Super day here too. Perfect for sitting outside with a nice cold one

Posted

Pleasant sunny day here in St Andrews but the easterly breeze is suppressing the temperature: just 15c despite abundant sunshine. Not complaining though!

Posted

Pleasant sunny day here in St Andrews but the easterly breeze is suppressing the temperature: just 15c despite abundant sunshine. Not complaining though!

Yeah breeze has picked up here too now but still managing 18C despite that and a bit of light cloud. Inland a bit at Aboyne it's a couple of degrees warmer at 20.5C.

Edit: Met Office Yellow warning for rain out for tomorrow and SEPA flood warnings issued for eastern areas of Scotland too now.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Cloud's increasing (can see it before it gets dark) rain should hit at one point tonight how heavy it will be is another matter. What a super day it was though

Posted

Nice day on the Black Isle. Shame I'm incarcerated recovering from surgery!

Great day here too with a top temperature of 20c and blue skies and sunshine.

Still making hay today very good  qualityafter a 48 hour dry spell a rarity this summer and only cut 6 days ago .post-2744-0-28031700-1439498929_thumb.jppost-2744-0-50804100-1439498906_thumb.jp

Hope your recovery goes well. 

• Like 1

Posted

Rained for a bit but it has cleared. Looks to be a really extensive rain band though

Posted

Rained for a bit but it has cleared. Looks to be a really extensive rain band though

Not as bad as expected here in NE Fife. Damp morning but most of the rain has been light and the rainband looks to be fragmenting. Certainly dreich for mid-August though. Very light winds, 14c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.   Much better day today after the soggy mess of yesterday.   12.6c, WNW breeze and sunny!

Apparently, acording to one of the other threads, the analogue year closest to this coming  winter which included a strong el nino,  (expected this year,)  is 1957/1958.

Dug out the UK details for that winter to see how we fared:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/9/q/Snow_Survey_of_Great_Britain__1957-58.pdf

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yesterday was just boring. Today has started very wet. Not that I'm too bothered, stuck indoors with a bloody great dressing across my tummy; Ms HC is doing the shops this morning and has got out her winter coat for the 1st time since... June?  Bloody this n bloody that - bloody weather!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

It's lovely here like it has been most of the week. Breezy today yes but dry (and this might well continue)

Posted

Finally just stopped raining here but still grey and damp. Had to turn the heating on for a bit this morning after I got up, too chilly even for me. Real autumnal feeling outside.

Edit : Spoke too soon! It's p---ing it down again.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yesterday was just boring. Today has started very wet. Not that I'm too bothered, stuck indoors with a bloody great dressing across my tummy; Ms HC is doing the shops this morning and has got out her winter coat for the 1st time since... June?  Bloody this n bloody that - bloody weather!

Nothing too serious I hope HC!   If you are anything like my hubby when he has anything wrong with him, then Mrs HC was probably glad to get out!  :D   (It's a man thing!)

• Like 1

Posted

Finally just stopped raining here but still grey and damp. Had to turn the heating on for a bit this morning after I got up, too chilly even for me. Real autumnal feeling outside.

Edit : Spoke too soon! It's p---ing it down again.

Yes, it has been thoroughly rubbish so far today in Aberdeen too. With a bit of luck things should be improving quite soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well travelled thru from Skye down thru Scotland today and it was a glimpse of sun and some wee showers. Here is a pic of from this morning!

Although say spent a good part of the day stuck in the roadworks at dalwhinnie!

The sun was out when I finally got back - fab😊although it feels cool tonight.

post-863-0-71389200-1439673039_thumb.jpg

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Nothing too serious I hope HC!   If you are anything like my hubby when he has anything wrong with him, then Mrs HC was probably glad to get out!  :D   (It's a man thing!)

This is certainly a man thing... but Ms HC is usually oot n aboot anyways. And she'll have the pleasure of being out running in the chill tomorrow morning :rofl: !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells this afternoon with a max of 17C. Felt warmer than that. My daughter even managed to get sunburn on her face walking the dog! Unfortunately she also dropped the dog when passing her over a deer fence gate to her to her boyfriend resulting in torn ligaments and another fortune at the vets no doubt.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1