Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 12th June 2015 onwards

Posted

With this type of event now casting is usually the best option.However modelling can sometimes show up the broader details. What we should be looking for in our now casting is convergence zones setting up across the UK.
post-2809-0-26142900-1434117008_thumb.pn

This should help with moisture pooling which will drive higher dew points. I think this is more likely to be the trigger than actual temperatures.
post-2809-0-21821600-1434117027_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-10118100-1434117033_thumb.pn

Another detail to look for today is a low level Jet. This Jet is in marked contrast to winds above it. There is also divergence at the mid level.

post-2809-0-14490200-1434117059_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-07592700-1434117072_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-28125400-1434117077_thumb.pn

500hpa humidty charts sugest some potential for the south and east anglia later on as well.
post-2809-0-13209900-1434117114_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-61110200-1434117194_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-35188300-1434117199_thumb.pn

Oh well back to now casting.

post-2809-0-28340700-1434117218_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-27888000-1434117225_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-92968400-1434117231_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Lots of altocumulus coming up from the south east

Posted

Keep an eye out for any activity between the warm/cold front that's where the highest cape will be, and I estimate that is where the storms will be around IOW / Brighton south of it.

Good day fellow Andover resident! (im not actually from Andover but have worked there most of my working life:) )

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

:lazy: Today sucks.

Thanks for that informative post.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

I wrote this yesterday in the regional chat and i still hold to those words

Posted by Cyclonic on Yesterday, 16:54 in Regional Discussions

Hi guys, been a while since posted on here, or even had an interest in weather (enjoying my 1st Grandchild) :)

Anyway, hope your all good and well..

As for the storms, have any of you ever had that funny feeling it will throw the unexpected at you, and take you by surprise....well thats how im feeling lol...

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted

You guys are too impatient, back in the 90's storms didn't kick off until 6pm at the earliest, normally French imports where not until 8pm.

it's only 14:46 and many times things explode un-expected. we have rain which is a good sign, but it's very elevated give it until it least 6.30pm. 

Hear hear you took the words out of my mouth! I can recall so many evenings/nights where storms kicked off after either hot sunny days or indeed muggy overcast days like today.

Back in the pre internet/radar/satellite days nobody could access all manner of data and get frustrated at nothing occurring when all along Mother Nature knew what she was doing!

How anyone can call it a bust or give up before 15.00 is utterly beyond me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather

With this type of event now casting is usually the best option.However modelling can sometimes show up the broader details. What we should be looking for in our now casting is convergence zones setting up across the UK.

attachicon.giflowwind17.png

This should help with moisture pooling which will drive higher dew points. I think this is more likely to be the trigger than actual temperatures.

attachicon.gifsbcape17.pngattachicon.gifdewpoint17.png

Another detail to look for today is a low level Jet. This Jet is in marked contrast to winds above it. There is also divergence at the mid level.

attachicon.gif925wind.pngattachicon.gif700wind.pngattachicon.gif500wind.png

500hpa humidty charts sugest some potential for the south and east anglia later on as well.

attachicon.gif500humidty15.pngattachicon.gif500humdity17.pngattachicon.gif500humidty19.png

Oh well back to now casting.

attachicon.gifcloudprecip15.pngattachicon.gifcloudprecip17.pngattachicon.gifcloudprecip19.png

looking at those last 3 charts not much expected until late evening

Posted

Hear hear you took the words out of my mouth! I can recall so many evenings/nights where storms kicked off after either hot sunny days or indeed muggy overcast days like today.

Back in the pre internet/radar/satellite days nobody could access all manner of data and get frustrated at nothing occurring when all along Mother Nature knew what she was doing!

If I had to guess everyone should be looking at the radar south of the IOW and Brighton towards Le Harve & Cean. the low is circling anticlockwise so this high cloud will slowly move W/NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

It isn't muggy here, I just walked to the shop in a T shirt and was cold!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

:lazy: Today sucks.

Yes, yes it does.....but tonight might not.....we live in hope

• Like 1

Posted

Its colder outside now than it has been all winter.

Sure. What temp you got -3 ??

• Like 2

Posted

Thats because the forecast has changed quite dramatically - these Tstorms are now being pushed back until early eve now (if at all) and with what was originally on offer it will be a disappointment - carol K and 'Humdingers' lol

• Like 2

Posted

Thats because the forecast has changed quite dramatically - these Tstorms are now being pushed back until early eve now (if at all) and with what was originally on offer it will be a disappointment - carol K and 'Humdingers' lol

Patient my friend,

Thundery rain is to the SW france as it drags up that's where the instability will be, just to the N/NE of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Few breaks in the cloud appearing, temp 21.1 & rising, 91% humidity 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

We have a DP of 19 now according to the local weather station...just over 20C with 93% humidity

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Light rain here now, still very humid.