Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - SPANISH PLUME - 30/06/15 onwards

Posted

That's odd - I live in Leeds too and we have definitely gotten more than a couple of storms over the past two years (which isn't saying much at all, is it?).

Here's my theory: I grew up in rural Wales, where you could see for miles around. However, living in Leeds as I do now, there's loads of hills and buildings everywhere. If there was a storm within 10 miles in Wales, I'd have seen and heard it. Now, I can see something kicking off on radar 5 miles up the road, but have absolutely no concept of it where I am.

If I had the day off tomorrow, I'd head up the Chevin and sit outside the Royalty, watching the anvils roll by. What a great day that would be! 

Posted

Here's my theory: I grew up in rural Wales, where you could see for miles around. However, living in Leeds as I do now, there's loads of hills and buildings everywhere. If there was a storm within 10 miles in Wales, I'd have seen and heard it. Now, I can see something kicking off on radar 5 miles up the road, but have absolutely no concept of it where I am.

If I had the day off tomorrow, I'd head up the Chevin and sit outside the Royalty, watching the anvils roll by. What a great day that would be! 

In the night in the South East Welsh valleys .. I can see lightning to my East as Far as Gloucester in some storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I remember many years back, the late, great Michael Hunt saying that widespread thunderstorms are unlikely to occur where SLP is greater than 1012mb; I call it Hunt's Law. But it's interesting to see that in much of southern Britain, France and Spain, SLPs are currently still up at around 1016mb...It's only a 4mb drop? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I'm actually thinking of driving up to the Chevin tomorrow, it's only 30 minutes away! Aging doggie can't manage too long a walk, especially in this heat and it's an amazing vantage point up there with just a short walk. Pooch loves storm watching with me and I'm finished work nice and early. It's either that or a slow walk up the local moor side,but there are a lot of pylons and lines and I had a close encounter with lightning a few years ago up there!

• Like 1

Posted

@BBC Weather: Isolated thunderstorms now developing over northwest France - the odd one may drift across southern England later tonight. John H anything today will surely be a bonus it would be nice.

Posted

I'm actually thinking of driving up to the Chevin tomorrow, it's only 30 minutes away! Aging doggie can't manage too long a walk, especially in this heat and it's an amazing vantage point up there with just a short walk. Pooch loves storm watching with me and I'm finished work nice and early. It's either that or a slow walk up the local moor side,but there are a lot of pylons and lines and I had a close encounter with lightning a few years ago up there!

Sounds like a fantastic day out. Take some pictures - even if the Lincolnshire lot do get all the storms they'll never have seen a view like it!

Posted

Nice choice. Luckily the top of the otley chevin is only a 15 minute walk for me. Seen a few good storms/snow showers roll in over the years from there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Storms over NW France now making their way into the channel, perhaps the Channel Islands could get some action?

Posted

this is well worth reading for a balanced and knowledgeable view for tomorrow.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83450-storm-potential-july-1st-onwards-technical-discussion/#entry3221983

Posted

I remember many years back, the late, great Michael Hunt saying that widespread thunderstorms are unlikely to occur where SLP is greater than 1012mb; I call it Hunt's Law. But it's interesting to see that in much of southern Britain, France and Spain, SLPs are currently still up at around 1016mb...It's only a 4mb drop? :D

Sorry peeps, I meant 'rule-of-thumb-under-normal-conditions'. And the situation over the next few days hardly constitutes normal conditions. That said, it's usually quite a good guide. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Something hotter and more humid approaching the Kent coast - temperatures in New Romney have lept from 21C to 24C. That will filter northwards through this evening and tomorrow.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

No longer need to be worried about about missing tomorrow's possible thunderstorms thanks to this brill update from the Met Office UK forecast. :spiteful:

post-10703-0-20523800-1435679604_thumb.j

They had to shrink the text, though, in order to fit it all in...

• Like 9

Posted

storms are sneaky sods, got a bad feeling everything will be west and north of here, seen it so many times in this setup where storms fireup north west and move in a nne direction to scotland missing us ,  

and anything coming up from the south has a habit of fizzling on approach to here, :wallbash: 

just what is it about this area that storms hate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hmmm just looking at the current channel convection and its heating toward Wiltshire area. This right?

Hope so but I know everything can change so I'll keep checking the radar...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

storms are sneaky sods, got a bad feeling everything will be west and north of here, seen it so many times in this setup where storms fireup north west and move in a nne direction to scotland missing us ,  

and anything coming up from the south has a habit of fizzling on approach to here, :wallbash:

just what is it about this area that storms hate

That's funny. I say exactly the same about Dumfries/Lochmaben. We did have a cracker of a thunderstorm last year, but that was the first in a long time that I can remember. I get ramped up about a storm that's heading my way and then it suddenly dissipates before reaching my area. Sucks :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well....trains in absolutely state of chaos this evening...obviously the "wrong sort of heat" or some other nonsense. Cap it off, it's about 50C on this poxy train. Joke!!! (Wrong thread I know, but the heat has a remarkable ability for making one irritable).

Bring on the storms!!!!

Posted

Got some of those UFO clouds forming :)

Could those be wave-clouds, over North Wales? Or am I looking the wrong way? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Do they signify anything interesting? I had 'whipped cream' type clouds this morning. Couldn't take a photo at the time as was driving a bus. I must go and familiarise myself with clouds again. They're great to watch :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Alto-Cumulus  Lenticular :)

• Like 2

Posted

[

Could those be wave-clouds, over North Wales? Or am I looking the wrong way? :)

Sorry I didn't post the direction, it's East, so I imagine it's the Pennines

Oh and apologies it's sideways!

Edited by Darren Bown