Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Absolutely incredible!! What a night this turned out. I think these two charts at 02.45 a.m. say it best. Eat your heart out NMM, and wooden spoon for the BBC Look East forecast "only a very small chance of a storm... and any storm very isolated". Lol.

Lightning 2,423 strikes/hour post-20040-0-77339300-1435976061_thumb.j Rainfall 02.45 post-20040-0-21898500-1435976074_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

What a fantastic night! The sky started flickering at about midnight, the storm passed directly overhead about 2am and I have just come back from chasing it north. It's still flasing away in the distance now. An incredible light show! I've seen many storms in Florida and the lightning this one created far surpassed anything i've seen there. 

I noticed a strong smell of burning a few miles up the road, I just hope it was a tree that was struck and not somebody's home!!

Posted

We had a storm pass just off the coast of Dover last night but since then it's very humid, it's made it very uncomfortable!

I was expecting more of a storm personally.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Cracking night, quite a bit of high cloud this morning but the sun is already working on that. A hot and sunny day to come with 30C still possible in the east of the region today, high twenties widely though.

15-582UK.GIF?04-0

Enjoy :)

Posted

I have to admit I did'nt think we would get anything in Kent so took myself off to bed about 11. Got rudely awakened by thunder at 12.01 and it was going for a good while. I was too tired to get out of bed and watch but the rain/hail sounded intense. Gutted I did'nt have the energy to get up and watch it.

Looking at the strike radar I may get to see a storm this morning if the channel does'nt kill it off.

Edited by k66yla

Posted

Take a look at the radar this morning is utterly immense and still going

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a fantastic night! The sky started flickering at about midnight, the storm passed directly overhead about 2am and I have just come back from chasing it north. It's still flasing away in the distance now. An incredible light show! I've seen many storms in Florida and the lightning this one created far surpassed anything i've seen there. 

I noticed a strong smell of burning a few miles up the road, I just hope it was a tree that was struck and not somebody's home!!

Was pretty remarkable, wasn't it? I've not seen anything quite like it, in over 30 years...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Pretty nothing really here.

Garden is still dry,had some lighting, it didnt wake me up.

Some rain but as said still have dry bit in garden.

Thats also now twice we had storms and the next day has been horrific in humidity.

MInd you 5 miles away was pretty good by all accounts.

22c and feeling like a sauna.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Best night time storm since 1992 :D Only side swiped but still a great light show with plenty of thunder. Couldn't venture out due to two stressed dogs (even though the other three were in the kennels and slept right through it!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Have a cracking headache this morning. Sage to say doggy is fast a kip to! Excellent storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well that was interesting. So many flashes like I haven't seen for years. Although most were hidden by cloud, it was still spectacular.

But why was the thunder either absent or much quiter than it should have been?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Storm was high based i imagine,thunder head was prob in excess of 40,000ft high

Posted

Have a look at the lower part of the cloud, am I really seeing more to this than just a cloud?

post-20787-0-92154900-1435998432_thumb.j

post-20787-0-80807200-1435998470_thumb.j

post-20787-0-69831900-1435998760_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Well that was interesting. So many flashes like I haven't seen for years. Although most were hidden by cloud, it was still spectacular.

But why was the thunder either absent or much quiter than it should have been?

Coz light travels and we was on the edge of two storms either side of us :)

Have a look at the lower part of the cloud, am I really seeing more to this than just a cloud?

Impressive how the bolt cuts through the cloud and parts of the bolt are hidden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I posted these images earlier on the storm thread but I thought might as well share them here,

uVMq5qc.png

N1seDkm.png

GbhQsZh.jpg

DDqWfuo.png

vqMJFuR.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: sun and storms

On the 3rd pic, is that  a funnel cloud trying to form?

Posted

Great photos overall I rate it a 7.5/10 largely due no hail, no earth shuddering thunder although I did see the most heaviest rain I've ever seen too much IC lightning if you had your blinds/curtains closed you would have been clueless what's going on. As there was not much audible I counted 5 CG one of which was very near, fork Lightning was great just not a lot of it. It did remind me to being stuck under MCS, which showed last night was rather special. It did get me out the NSC and for that I'm grateful. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Yeah not a lot of loud thunder last night, caught a couple of shotgun blasts on video though so I'm happy enough. Best and most prolonged lightning show I've seen in years though, from 11pm right through to 2am there was almost constant lightning from all directions. Perfect that it happened on a Friday night as well!

Posted

The GFS has consistently been showing a finger of heavy rain moving up over south east England East Anglia during the morning and afternoon tomorrow. The 6z has further upgraded this and moved it a little further west. Any idea why this hasn't been mentioned on forecasts as it looks like writing off most of tomorrow for outdoor activities?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Incredibly, I slept through it, though we also had less thunder than you'd get from storms with a lower base and more CG strikes.  I did hear a few faint rumbles later-on (around dawn) after I did wake up, but that was very much the tail end.  My father reckons there was IC lightning all round us, with constant rumbling and around 4 slightly louder crashes (and around 2 CG strikes).  Rather disappointed I missed it, actually. :fool:  Current conditions sunny and hot - local amateur station showing 28.2C, DP 19C and 60% humidity.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster
  • Like 1

The GFS has consistently been showing a finger of heavy rain moving up over south east England East Anglia during the morning and afternoon tomorrow. The 6z has further upgraded this and moved it a little further west. Any idea why this hasn't been mentioned on forecasts as it looks like writing off most of tomorrow for outdoor activities?

Seen it to, just uncertainty most probs, could be a Kent clipper, channel hugger, or get the whole region bar maybe the far north of the region, perhaps we will see some updates later today..