Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia, Weather Chat...July 1st 2015...

Methuselah

Posted

I'm complaining because a) any rain here is drizzly and is not doing any good at all, b) these conditions are perfect for blight to thrive and all kill my potatoes/tomatoes that I've worked my ass off to get growing, c) this year has been challenging for someone trying to be self sufficient in growing their own fruit/veg due to drought conditions, d) I'm in a bad mood today and e) it's a free country with free speech and it's nice to talk/get excited/whinge about weather on here as nobody I know has any meteorological interest at all lol. I shall now go and have a coffee and try to cheer up!!

I'm grumpy myself lol. I can get very excited, once the word snow is muttered, the season of Summer does not particularly fill me with joy, it's quite uneventful although dining outdoors is enjoyable.

I do like Autumn with the shades of browns, reds and yellows although things are not completely dead just still. With Atlantic depressions blasting through can be invigorating. Also with the shortening daylight sets the journey.

In recent years this has been more dominant in winter not to my taste. I know you like your heat and there appears to be some of that in the latter half of this week. Soak it up as I do not see much on the horizon.

it will be August before we know it. And going by past August performances I'm not sure whether another week of heatwave conditions are possible I take hope in there's plenty of time remaining...

Like I prefer to experience it earlier then not experienced it at all I prefer December freeze over February one. I find there is more legroom in summer months at least, and quite rightly we need rain and lots of it. :)

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Vile weather, cloud, drizzle muggy, windy. Only good for spreading blight to my potatoes and tomatoes! Not enough rain to be useful, enough to be annoying. Typical UK crap. Thursday at least looking hotter/sunnier but a one day wonder again before Atlantic winds come blasting in. Further outlook not great either. What a waste!

Not great today, though it reached 20C today instead of 15C under a similar situation with north westerlies.

Wednesday looks to be the day where things will improve with skies brightening to bring sunshine and showers (temperatures predicted to reach 26C), Thursday looks possibly hot with 30C still possible and Friday still looks warm (similar to the Saturday following those thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm quite enjoying this weather; it's warm, if a tad humid, and all the plants are greening-up. And, towards the weekend, things'll very likely brighten up... :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I'm complaining because a) any rain here is drizzly and is not doing any good at all, b) these conditions are perfect for blight to thrive and all kill my potatoes/tomatoes that I've worked my ass off to get growing, c) this year has been challenging for someone trying to be self sufficient in growing their own fruit/veg due to drought conditions, d) I'm in a bad mood today and e) it's a free country with free speech and it's nice to talk/get excited/whinge about weather on here as nobody I know has any meteorological interest at all lol. I shall now go and have a coffee and try to cheer up!!

I had terrible blight three years ago :vava: :vava:

I'm grumpy myself lol. I can get very excited, once the word snow is muttered, the season of Summer does not particularly fill me with joy, it's quite uneventful although dining outdoors is enjoyable.

I do like Autumn with the shades of browns, reds and yellows although things are not completely dead just still. With Atlantic depressions blasting through can be invigorating. Also with the shortening daylight sets the journey.

In recent years this has been more dominant in winter not to my taste. I know you like your heat and there appears to be some of that in the latter half of this week. Soak it up as I do not see much on the horizon.

it will be August before we know it. And going by past August performances I'm not sure whether another week of heatwave conditions are possible I take hope in there's plenty of time remaining...

Like I prefer to experience it earlier then not experienced it at all I prefer December freeze over February one. I find there is more legroom in summer months at least, and quite rightly we need rain and lots of it. :)

It snowed in Australia :crazy:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-33456711. It could get quite ahem.......weathery towards the end of the week, thunder/heat.  Apart from a week of storms and high heat, this summer has been very samey (sorry for the technical weather terms)

Wouldn't mind if the humid part went, the only blinking weather I dislike. Sweated less in doors when it was 32 outside. The humidity was only something like 45% 

The Norf Atlantic is 4c colder than it should be so low pressure systems are forming further south and swinging NE up to the UK, which means humidty is here to stay. :cray:  Dull, damp, dingy and devoid of any interest here. Same goes for the weather, 19.9c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I had terrible blight three years ago :vava: :vava:

Did they fall off? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Did they fall off? :rofl:

:laugh: They went all brown and mushy and had to be binned :shok::whistling: Drizzle has returned, (what's the point of drizzle?) :unknw: Still humid as funk! Just have to walk and you start sweating........yuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Latest GFS run is actually very nice for our part of the world for this weekend and next week too. An encouraging turn-around.....saying it quietly as dont want to jinx it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Very quiet in here! I can't believe there's not someone out there who adores grey, drizzly weather and is enthusiastically posting photos of dull, leaden skies in the thread! :crazy:   

To relieve the boredom, let's look forward to our ultra-mini heat wave due on Thursday. It's currently looking like there's some heavy rain around for Thurs evening and overnight into the early hours of Friday, with a small chance of a thunderstorm thrown into the mix. Now that's better than drizzle!! :good:

GFS Precip Thurs 21.00 post-20040-0-61255400-1436882032_thumb.p CAPE & LI post-20040-0-67973800-1436882042_thumb.p

NMM 5km model is in general agreement, although at the moment has slightly different timing but even better CAPE & LI.

NMM Precip Fri 01.00 post-20040-0-34709400-1436882060_thumb.p CAPE & LI 18.00 post-20040-0-54431100-1436882076_thumb.p

And with good CAPE & LI values across in northern France and a SE flow, with luck there could be a few French exports heading our way. :smile:

Posted

Looks like we're having a spin of "meh" days - it is cool feeling despite it being 21C at least it's dry. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

This has to be the worst kind of weather, I dont mind rain but just cloudy? What is this? Why is this even a thing haha. Mother Nature and I need a few words I think, maybe shes tired after giving us those storms and is taking a break?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I spent three years in Watford :cray: What a horrible, hideous, hell hole :bad:, full of drunks and wierdos and that was just my uni :shok: The high street at the weekend is a chav war zone! (sorry to anyone from there :oops::friends: ) I actually prefer NW slumdon :shok: It was like visiting  the artic though. :cold:  Never seen so much sleet. I would leave slumdon and it would be raining, halfway to Watford it would be wet snow, by the time I'd got to hell, there would be a couple of inches on the ground, so you are right, it makes a big difference. Then the return journey, snow/sleet/rain :( Another downpour here, still very warm indoors.

... yup im from here, I also lived in Southampton and its no better. Im from North Watford it isn't as bad here as it used to be but its probably one of the less nice places in Watford. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A better day today, a high of 22C with some sunshine during the afternoon. There were some pretty pokey showers which developed over the fens during the mid to late afternoon which soaked me and my fiancée before managing to get into the car for the drive home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

No sign of the sun again in Cambridge with drizzle on and off all day and a couple of heavier showers, very disappointing few days for mid July

• Like 1

Posted

... yup im from here, I also lived in Southampton and its no better. Im from North Watford it isn't as bad here as it used to be but its probably one of the less nice places in Watford. 

Southampton is a bigger dump :D North Watford, is that far away enough from the town center? Is the high street still a tip? :D  It attempted to rain again today, but as usual, after 5 minutes, it stopped. Here is a video on why showers are so hard to forecast, or are the beeb just covering their butts? :wink:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/33509158

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Another horrible morning, grey and dark with heavy drizzle, hopefully the last day of this for a while

Posted

Hopefully the last few hours of this drab, grey weather, then into a few days of warmth and decent amounts of sunshine. The one 'OK'' aspect of the last few days has been the small diurnal range of temperature because of the cloud cover. Never too uncomfortable whatever time of day or night. Take this morning - it was 18.6C here at 08.00. The 'not OK' has been having 3 days of on-off drizzle - and it's just started again as I type - heavy too.

Yesterday I posted some charts for possible heavy rain and small chance of thunderstorms for Thurs evening into Friday. Forget that! This morning's NMM showing any heavy rain stays to our west and moves north. This morning's Look East and National forecast agree. So looking good for the next few days for our patch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Humid light drizzle, can go out in a T'shirt and stay dry. 

Posted

Humid light drizzle, can go out in a T'shirt and stay dry. 

I could go out in a t-shirt and stay dry if it wasn't left trouser legging it down here. :closedeyes: 20c and very, very, very, very, very humid.

Posted

Now sunny and humid with patchy clouds. temp only 17.8 humidity 100%

Posted

Nice healthy looking bunch of cumulonimbus clouds to my north, no sign of capping whatsoever to them, looks like a field of cauliflowers, was surprised there was very little rain on radar from it. Looks like some very heavy rain underneath it. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Cloudy & warm here. At least the dull dank drizzle atmosphere has gone.

• Like 1

Posted

Did I read right yesterday that we are due for storms Friday?

My view is that the very west of our Region may see an isolated storm break out as the main area of potential to our west moves north. I think the latest NMM 06z charts show this quite well.

Thursday 20.00 and both CAPE and LI values are supportive of the development of storms: post-20040-0-78810200-1436970070_thumb.p

But the 700 hPa Vertical charts (showing if lapse rates further support storm development) are probably more indicative of where storms may occur (with black/green best). Note the Fri 01.00 chart shows a small black/green area moving up the west of our Region, supporting the idea that the west of our Region may see an isolated storm:

Thurs 20.00 post-20040-0-47937300-1436970532_thumb.p Fri 01.00 post-20040-0-13279300-1436970547_thumb.p Fri 04.00 post-20040-0-50510600-1436970558_thumb.p

And NMM precipitation charts also help pinpoint the heaviest rainfall, indicative of possible storms:

Thurs 20.00 post-20040-0-61273600-1436970732_thumb.p Fri 01.00 post-20040-0-39742100-1436970744_thumb.p Fri 04.00 post-20040-0-02820300-1436970757_thumb.p

So apologies for my being long-winded, but I find every picture tells a story! It certainly shows that Midlands north is looking very reasonable for a more organised line of storms to have developed. The southern half of the UK is more the breeding ground on this occasion!

As always I would be interested in the views of others on here and, as is usual with storms, events on the day are always likely to spring a surprise!

• Like 1