Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 04/07/15 Onward - Heat & Plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Yesterday proves that the forecasts are only a guide - I knew there was something afoot just looking at the skies but not even convectiveweather had the south down for storms - and they're usually quite liberal!

I was out last night anyway but there was a small chance I would have been down near Portsmouth but tbh I don't think I'd have seen much from there anyway.

I'll wait patiently for the next one :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Only the south got storms didnt they in the end? I kept an eye on the radar last night and although some heavy showers, areas of rain showed up further north there was no lightning. Shame really, those amazing skies yesterday were just teasing us all!

Those pics are amazing further up the page. No idea how you press the shutter so quick lol to catch lightning, ive never been able to do it! Maybe im expecting too much from phone cameras hehe :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I get some detail using video stills from lightning taken on a camcorder but nothing like the photos posted on here. I am assuming the photos are taken with a decent spec camera.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

That would've been my colleague Jim at a guess, and as you say plumes are incredibly hard to get the detail right and models will have a limited use, never always right and can often spring surprises - trick is to stay ahead of the the game and to try and guess what might happen that the models aren't showing...

Yes i was expecting a chance of thunderstorms with the forecast. As i was hoping for a storm. He is usually good with convective weather. Can't get every situation correct....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I get some detail using video stills from lightning taken on a camcorder but nothing like the photos posted on here. I am assuming the photos are taken with a decent spec camera.

A Dslr camera is very good for lightning shots, also how you process the photos makes them impressive. I don't know my way around photoshop, as i don't have it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Im not one for bragging, but i feel quite proud to say we were one of the only forecasters to predict the risk of thundery showers, mainly it was my mate who pointed it out due to previeous experience, as proof this was our forecast at around 4:15pm

https://www.facebook.com/IsleOfWightWeather/photos/a.578987685453758.1073741825.562651267087400/1048052958547226/?type=1&theater

Like I say I dont like to brag or anything lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Now for the main one from our storm chase on the isle of wight, this was taken by my mate too who also gave me permission

11665761_10207179040856426_8414183049864

Exceptional photo, that one. :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I thought yesterday was rather funny.The previous evening indications were for the North East of England only so when I saw a storm over the southern Irish sea I chuckled. I hadn't seen any forecast since early morning so I don't know if they updated or not. Looking at some of the posts suggests not and people got a pleasant surprise or an unpleasant one depending on how they view storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Some cracking photos, I didn't get chance to take any photos but saw possibly the best CG strike ever last night. Not forecast but saw the best strike I've witnessed. Truly remarkable.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Check this footage I found guys from freshwater bay last night, around 3 minutes it really gets good

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Check this footage I found guys from freshwater bay last night, around 3 minutes it really gets good

Not at all bad, SK...My neighbours must think I have terrible flatulence! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Exceptional photo, that one. :D

absolutely brilliant photo ,mother nature at her best ,cheers .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I'd take a storm like this over the megastorms the other week any day... Proper darkness, silence and decent thunder booms. Also enough time between strikes to compose yourself and set the camera up. Rain arrives but not before some decent forks. Great stuff! Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

met office going for Thundery showers this afternoon as this mornings rain band clears through and the sun comes out.

Posted

met office going for Thundery showers this afternoon as this mornings rain band clears through and the sun comes out.

Outside chance, and a small opportunity window (12z-15z) for SE, and desperately in need of a trigger with only a partially convective atmosphere.

post-5986-0-77110000-1436696142_thumb.gi

If I had to bet, I'd say no.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

Torrential downpour here at the moment, no thunder yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I think the storms will pop up behind that line.

Very humid now the sun is out and big humungonimbus appearing to the west and north of Tamworth now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

May not have been any thunder today but some nice dark CBs around at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

May not have been any thunder today but some nice dark CBs around at the moment.

Just been heavy rain around today. After a heavy squally downpour at around 3pm, currently wstching a nice bubbly line of convection passing to the north of me from Ashwellthorpe near Wymondham. According to radar its passing over Fakenham and Aylsham due east. Amazing how far away it is but looks closer.