Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

20c hit at Charlwood, near Gatwick

Super stuff! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Super stuff! :D

Ay but you don't live there, I'm dreading 3 days of horrendous rain, where you will have 3 dry warm days,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

12C with mist all day in Leeds, no hint of sun unfortunately. Looks better later in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Balmy earlier today just missed out on 18c but it did feel very pleasant in the sun, feeling more like a summers day to be honest! Clouded over this afternoon and it's just started raining in the last hour. Temp is currently 14.7c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This mornings and early afternoon was nothing short of stunning. 16c, sunny, little wind and people had the Windows right down on cars, multiple soft top roofs were down. Definitely late summer Esque. Fantastic that the weekend looks to offer more of the same. :D

Will be reverting back to shorts for walking the dog this week. :)

Posted

I love autumn warm and sunny spells like this, because they feel like a massive bonus. In summer you kind of expect it to be warm, but in autumn you expect it to be more of the cold and rainy variety, and so warmth and sunshine feels like such an added extra, especially this late into the season.

Long may it last! :D

Until some snow appears in the forecast, that is - then it can clear off and return in March where it belongs. A November 2010 repeat would be much welcomed - that month started off very mild as well.

Anyway, the high was 12C today with just a hint of drizzle.. certainly felt like November is just around the corner. Looks cloudy all week until Saturday. Spare a thought for us while you're banging on about warm sunshine.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

November 2010 was a nightmare at work ,loads of problems with gear ,you can keep it :)...give me this weather every time ..

No problems for me.. well, except one afternoon when 6 inches fell and the entire city came to a halt. But 2 days later, life seemed normal - kids were walking to school with their parents and people were waiting at the bus stop to go to work. In fact, I can say, hand on heart, that 1 December 2010 was the first time that my life was ever inconvenienced by snow. We're not pansies like they are in London.

It's interesting that  during summer, I found posters like 'simshady' very annoying because they wanted cool weather, but now I find mildies annoying because my attention has turned.. feels like I'm the only four-season lover on this forum.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

November 2010 was a nightmare at work ,loads of problems with gear ,you can keep it :)...give me this weather every time ..

I thought you had packed it all in Moki? You can now just sit back and enjoy the snow ...when....  'if' it comes :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

No problems for me.. well, except one afternoon when 6 inches fell and the entire city came to a halt. But 2 days later, life seemed normal - kids were walking to school with their parents and people were waiting at the bus stop to go to work. In fact, I can say, hand on heart, that 1 December 2010 was the first time that my life was ever inconvenienced by snow. We're not pansies like they are in London.

It's interesting that  during summer, I found posters like 'simshady' very annoying because they wanted cool weather, but now I find mildies annoying because my attention has turned.. feels like I'm the only four-season lover on this forum.

I would expect you lot in the North to cope better. Certainly much better located even for snow to rain events.

I enjoy all 4 seasons mostly though one thing I hate most is pointless cold that being bone chilling cold with no reward - snow. If it snows fine, im happy as it makes the landscape beautiful. However right now, snow is still a pretty unlikely event so may as well enjoy warmth especially as our climate is rather lagged due to ocean effects etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I would expect you lot in the North to cope better. Certainly much better located even for snow to rain events.

I enjoy all 4 seasons mostly though one thing I hate most is pointless cold that being bone chilling cold with no reward - snow. If it snows fine, im happy as it makes the landscape beautiful. However right now, snow is still a pretty unlikely event so may as well enjoy warmth especially as our climate is rather lagged due to ocean effects etc.

Agree with last bit, enjoy warmth at low levels where snow is not really possible yet, I look for high pressure on models, as a high pressure fan, some may say 'boring weather fan' I like FI on the models (very early Nov) looks fine and dry

most people will describe me as a boring weather lover, as rain, low pressure and gales completely suck

Posted

feels like I'm the only four-season lover on this forum.

Nope. I love the seasons, each has it's unique charm and each has it's pros and cons. The only problem, for me, is that in our country they aren't as pronounced/defined as I'd like.

I'd love a truly four-seasons climate - somewhere like Maine.

• Like 2

Posted

Too true MB. Somewhere like Warsaw would be best for me - cold enough winters that snow lasts most of the winter but without the frigid weather, but warms up quickly in spring, summer is warm but not hot, and then a gradual decrease in temperatures in autumn but not too drastic. More thunderstorms to boot.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The cold enthusiast part of me is revolted by what's showing for the next couple of weeks, but the work part of my brain is delighted!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nope, me too!  :) Not a fan of warm southerlies in autumn, mild wet southwesterlies in winter, easterlies in spring or northwesterlies in summer.

Don't mind a bit of stormy spillover into December but by midmonth I'll be looking for weather from the northwest-southeast quadrant and/or cold anticyclones. After this balmy start to November, I'm hoping the weather gets its act together with some Atlantic storms.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

You're not the only one. I love properly defined seasons. What is so frustrating for me is how both January and June can have grey days with a maximum in the mid teens. Summer should be hot, winter should be cold. But that is an oceanic climate for you. 

What I'd really like is a moderate humid continental climate like say Poland. Proper seasons but not crazy extreme like say Siberia.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

'I found posters like 'simshady' very annoying because they wanted cool weather'........Yay..........Fame at last!! :D

Enjoying this Autumn really. It's been mostly cool and dry. A few mild days forecast, 14-16c, but not too warm. Hopefully it'll turn cooler as Autumn turns slowly to Winter. :)

Edited by simshady

Posted

Having the worst day of the autumn by far here today. It's not too cold and barely any wind but it is pouring down

Posted

It has been an incredibly boring Autumn so far here. In fact, between 29th August and now there hasn't been a maxima lower than 11.7C or higher than 19.8C. The only plus side is that it has been rather dry overall.

I like an Autumn with variety, both warm and cold spells (obviously with the warmer spells in the first half and colder in the second), but this year has just been 12-19C every day and looks like continuing for a while yet.

The only point of interest is we could threaten the high maximum in November but that's about it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It has been an incredibly boring Autumn so far here. In fact, between 29th August and now there hasn't been a maxima lower than 11.7C or higher than 19.8C. The only plus side is that it has been rather dry overall.

I like an Autumn with variety, both warm and cold spells (obviously with the warmer spells in the first half and colder in the second), but this year has just been 12-19C every day and looks like continuing for a while yet.

The only point of interest is we could threaten the high maximum in November but that's about it.

Yep, no prospect of a first air frost for some while around these parts either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I agree this Autumn has not been great, pretty boring and add to that the fact that the set ups we have seen would have brought great conditions during the summer. No frosts at all and no sign of any frosts in the current output, including the extended output.

The coming week is a prominent example, robust Euro heights and a southerly flow for days on end. If only it happened in July. That said the start of November could potentially be record breaking in terms of overall warmth.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Why cant these strong euro heights ever build i9n the summer anymore? Seems to me the jet finds its summer position in winter and vice versa. Its all the wrong way round these days?

Posted

Why cant these strong euro heights ever build i9n the summer anymore? Seems to me the jet finds its summer position in winter and vice versa. Its all the wrong way round these days?

Indeed the 10c+ 850hPa isotherm looks set to be over here more in the next week than it was the entire summer. 

Always seems to flip into tropical upper's mode from around 25th Sept onwards every year.