IGNORED

Autumn 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

post-9143-0-93511700-1446374731_thumb.gi

it was mild in nov 09

and nov 97

post-9143-0-82142700-1446374376_thumb.gi

id be inclined to say winter might be feb time this year into next with some pretty mild months ahead.

Edited by emotional rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like May is starting on a dry and sunny note here, feeling pleasant out after a cooler night with minimal fog.

Edit: November.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Pleased for other areas but horrible in Surrey today; grey, dark, barely reaching double figures centigrade. 

Posted

@bbcweather

Latest in... the temperature in Trawsgoed reached 22.4C, a new record, which could be matched or even exceeded tomorrow. Helen

Couple of thoughts:

1. a bit odd that no other location got within 3C of this location? is it really reliable?

2. doesn't it just seem wrong that an average year like 2015 now has two monthly temperature records??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Couple of thoughts:

1. a bit odd that no other location got within 3C of this location? is it really reliable?

2. doesn't it just seem wrong that an average year like 2015 now has two monthly temperature records??

Well its an official met office station so it will be reliable bit like the July temperature at Heathrow really that was questioned but again its an official station

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

20 deg has only been breached on 6 days in November with 20.7 on the 17th and 20.0 on the 23rd.Interesting that Wales holds or joint holds 19 of the warmest  days in November out of the 30 .20 deg will not then be breached until March 2nd !!

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Couple of thoughts:

1) not necessarily. As an official met station it should be pretty accurate. Many variables probably at play. I don't know the topogroahy there at all but could there be a local foehn effect? Was it a particularly sunny spot whilst elsewhere nearby was more foggy/cloudy?

2) no. Not really. Anything is possible with our climate! Quite cool the records have both fallen on the 1st though. :)

Posted

1) not necessarily. As an official met station it should be pretty accurate. Many variables probably at play. I don't know the topogroahy there at all but could there be a local foehn effect? Was it a particularly sunny spot whilst elsewhere nearby was more foggy/cloudy?

2) no. Not really. Anything is possible with our climate! Quite cool the records have both fallen on the 1st though. :)

The beeb said it was a temperature inversion, and the cool air at ground level mixed with the warmer upper air. Coupled with the sun, this was enough to break the record. I''m not really surprised. I drove most of the M6 on Friday, and a similar thing happened there, the temperature lifted (car reading) considerably around Staffordshire and was 2-3 degrees cooler elsewhere. 16c in most places, lifting to around 19c for a 10-20 mile stretch of motorway. Not scientific but was backed up by official readings nearby.

• Like 1

The beeb said it was a temperature inversion, and the cool air at ground level mixed with the warmer upper air. Coupled with the sun, this was enough to break the record. I''m not really surprised. I drove most of the M6 on Friday, and a similar thing happened there, the temperature lifted (car reading) considerably around Staffordshire and was 2-3 degrees cooler elsewhere. 16c in most places, lifting to around 19c for a 10-20 mile stretch of motorway. Not scientific but was backed up by official readings nearby.

I had 19 c on m6 on Friday eve and a 4 and a half hour 90 minute journey ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Thanks for the update. Yes things can change very quickly and often, even locally and thus not captured by stations very much or at all. All interesting stuff. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I wonder if I'm going to manage one air frost this Autumn...?

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder if I'm going to manage one air frost this Autumn...?

I've recorded four so far this Autumn, the last time I recorded that many at this time of year was 2009. An omen for the coming winter or just plain randomnesses, only mother nature can decide. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I've recorded four so far this Autumn, the last time I recorded that many at this time of year was 2009. An omen for the coming winter or just plain randomnesses, only mother nature can decide. :D

I've had frozen dew on the car once a couple of weeks back, but no air frost yet. Looks unlikely for the next 7-10 days at least too!

Posted

20C Trawsgoed (or Trawscoed seems the beeb use 2 versions) currently 2.4c off the record set yesterday

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Trawscoed I think? Only 7c SE from there at Sennybridge with fog. 

Not one frost here so far this season either...

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A nice inversion here this morning.

post-12319-0-20487800-1446469754_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Met Office says Trawsgoed.

One word: confusing.

The beeb have 2 versions of it in the same tweet confusing indeed

â€@bbcweather

Trawscoed (W Wales) broke the UK November high temperature record yesterday. Back up to 20C currently. Peter.

CSzqoP6UwAAyeJn.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Coed would make sense to me (Coed meaning wood), although C and G beginnings do vary in usage depending on context, some sort of language mutation e.g Coch or Goch both meaning red.

Right ok it's A soft mutation.

Just found this:

http://www.siaradcymraeg.com/mutations.html

So Trawsgoed is correct, Traws (cross) causing coed to mutate to goed.

Trawsgoed, pronounced Troussgoid, (Crosswood).

Edited by Chris R
  • Like 1

Posted

Very sunny and feeling lovely and warm here.

Took my dogs for a walk on the werneth low (east Manchester) and normally you can see Manchester and Cheshire in the distance but it's covered under a blanket. Looked amazing, however my fotos aren't so great.

post-21944-0-06329600-1446474235_thumb.j

post-21944-0-05455600-1446474287_thumb.j

• Like 3