Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

HOLY ****

I was just about to call it a night with loads of elevated lighting then the room just filled with lightning and then the most amazingly loud lightning straight after - something must have just been hit with how intense it was

And it's just taken on a whole different feel around here as well, started throwing it down and the thunder is getting much louder

a few lucky ones currently receiving storms in a narrow belt running in a sw to nw conveyor around or to the west of London....great fun for those underneath, but a gnashing of teeth for those to the west and east of this train of thunderstorms

I know that feeling. Definitely cleared up here now in Crawley but I can see the constant flashes up t north

Posted

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime - 3 strikes right over harefield cor I saw that just a minute ago, not far away at all.

Scared the crap out of me lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Not kidding - I can STILL hear thunder here in Bournemouth! Maybe 'cos the skies are clear and still, thunder from elevated strikes carries a long, long way?

unless you have local strikes that are not appearing on ATD then it's not physically possible......as I say it must be localized non-detected sferics otherwise it's 80 miles to your nearest lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

OK?! Strike near farnborough.

Posted

Distant lighting, no thunder and judging by the lack of interest/posts in this thread compared to 2 weeks ago not much enthusiasm for tonights potential.

Posted

Rain is so heavy here a tree about 50 meters away cannot be seen and rain is getting through the little window at the top of the window frame

Gone quiet though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Just had an amazing time watching the storms in the distance, whole cells lightning up and CG's visible. Didn't realise i had such a good vantage point to the north. Still seeing a few flashes from that cell to the west. Although not overhead, certainly as impressive as the other week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Seeing bright flashes and hearing distant booming thunder now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Right, think that's my lot. Wicked night really while nothing juicy in this locale...some nice cloud illuminations and occasional convective downpours. While the sky overhead still littered with AcCas it seems quite clear that near destabilising line is not budging.

Very much look forward to seeing the footage and pics people have :D

Enjoy what's left of the show :D night all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

for those in the the home counties, I am truly envious......I've just been in the back garden looking east and north east.....even though I'm in east Wilts under clear skies I can see lots of 'below the horizon' lightning reflecting in the sky!....It's like a damn strobe light, more than a flash per second!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Im very jealous of the Londoners now, all sorts going off down there to the SE.        Where are all the pics and vids!!! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Not kidding - I can STILL hear thunder here in Bournemouth! Maybe 'cos the skies are clear and still, thunder from elevated strikes carries a long, long way?

unless you have local strikes that are not appearing on ATD then it's not physically possible......as I say it must be localized non-detected sferics otherwise it's 80 miles to your nearest lightning

well i'm in Christchurch, not far from Luke, thank god i'm not going mad! i have been hearing very short deep rumbles, but can't see anything close to here!

surely it cant be from them storms north of London 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Im very jealous of the Londoners now, all sorts going off down there to the SE.        Where are all the pics and vids!!! :D

Making me glad i moved south from yorkshire... almost. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Is that a hook on the storm heading for me right now?

Posted

It was a bit of a beast over here mate enjoy it

All quiet here now rain stopped so calling it a night

Laters all

• Like 1

Posted

well i'm in Christchurch, not far from Luke, thank god i'm not going mad! i have been hearing very short deep rumbles, but can't see anything close to here!

surely it cant be from them storms north of London 

no it's not...it's either developing cells in the channel not showing on the radar or it's tank exercises on Salisbury plain, larkhill are firing tonight so that's a possible explanation

Posted

Storms were very violent here jeez haven't heard thunder like that in years lightning very powerfull a little to close for comfort but have been spoilt by 4 different storms!

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say, visually, this has been a better storm than the one over a week ago. Not had a single rumble of thunder but the sky to the north is still being lit up by incredible lightning, giving the sky a pink glow at times!

My partner and I went up to the top floor of our block to get a better view, and it was well worth it- beautiful arches and loops of cloud to cloud lightning with the occaisional cg.

Wish I had a view from the Shard right now!

Posted

was fantastic but when they rolled in jeez very violent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I got about 5 beautiful strikes over twickenham way. It went ballistic for a bit - almost strobing as it approached - but I noticed it would stop with no strikes for about a minute and then fire up again out of nowhere!

My best storm night so far I think.

Only rain was before the storms even got here - and that was a gentle shower!

I'll post pics in a bit when I get to my Dad's place. Battery in camera ran out.

So, see everyone same time same place next week? ;-)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The vast majority of Londoners are storm free tonight.It's a very narrow strip of storms really.