Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Morning, (I GOT TO SLEEP  :D ) looks like that heavy area of rain/storms will skirt east of here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Hearing rumbles here in Burgess Hill and the lights keep flickering.

There also seems to be an easlerly element to the flow so happy with that. Could be an interesting hour or two!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

This is absolutely beutiful to listen too, the thunder and lightning isnt frequent and the rain s falling at a steady heavy pace with no wind at all, but the sound of everything is perfect

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The ridge of high pressure is really putting up a good fight... if this was winter we'd be shivering under cold but infuriatingly dry air, waiting for the precipitation to push north... only for the warmer air to result in rain :wallbash:  ;)

As the low has developed during the first 9 hours of today, we have seen plenty of precipitation making a break for the UK, but they have been moving outside of the main moisture plume, and from the looks of things encountering some issues with either having been surface-based (despite the time of day... low probability) or subsidence from higher in the atmosphere, associated with the ridge of high pressure. Air descending in this way tends to be very dry indeed, snuffing out convection very quickly. I can't be sure without observed soundings of the atmosphere though (GFS-based ones don't really show much sign of it but the forecasts are proving inaccurate anyway) - anyone know where I can find some for Southern UK? Thanks in advance  :)

It does appear from current radar imagery that the moisture plume is at last being drawn up toward the far SE, with some torrential rain and plenty of electrification. Yes, I am envious...!

The overall motion is to the NW, however there is also expansion of the moisture field to the north, hence the SE coming into the line of fire.

Some embedded activity has made it to the Isle of Wight, which is not far from here. Listening out of the windows when I can.

• Like 2

Posted

A few flashes and rumbles several miles to the SSW around 5:15am, then 2.2mm of rain with a couple heavy bits.

Not much else to report and I'm not confident of anything interesting happening here today.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks as if the East Midlands is now out the firing line. Damn, I thought I could save on petrol!!!

Posted

Oh no, they are doing shooting exercises on ash ranges today that sounds a bit like thunder when you are inside and can't hear it clearly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Can anyone explain why lightning activity is heading N/NE when all the rain is heading N/NW?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Oh no, they are doing shooting exercises on ash ranges today that sounds a bit like thunder when you are inside and can't hear it clearly.

Planes make a good substitute too. Looks like the sun is trying to break through , lovely.

Posted

This is absolutely beutiful to listen too, the thunder and lightning isnt frequent and the rain s falling at a steady heavy pace with no wind at all, but the sound of everything is perfect

Would you say that they sound elevated? UPDATE: My lights have all just flickered twice. Is that a sign that something is close? 

Edited by Rain123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Still rumbling away, those of you in the South East look like your in for a treat, good luck guys

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can anyone explain why lightning activity is heading N/NE when all the rain is heading N/NW?

Can only assume the Eastern edge is tapping into the most energy and juice, therefore containing the most convective elements.

Posted

I can't be sure without observed soundings of the atmosphere though (GFS-based ones don't really show much sign of it but the forecasts are proving inaccurate anyway) - anyone know where I can find some for Southern UK? Thanks in advance  :)

Observed soundings

Here you go!

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html.

The site has soundings per 12 hour interval of locations throughout Europe, including southwestern UK. Unfortunately there are none for southern and southeastern UK, but there is one from northern France of about 10 hours ago which could be representative of the air currently situated over southeastern UK.

Forecast soundings from WRF

Furthermore, on the site of Meteociel, you can obtain soundings from the WRF model. Just click on a location and a sounding for the chosen time interval will show up. Only emagrams are available, though.

http://meteociel.fr/modeles/sondage_wrf.php?region=uk&ech=1&mode=1&wrf=0

Forecast soundings from AROME

The AROME model (a new, small-scale model) also has soundings available.

http://meteociel.fr/modeles/sondage_arome.php?mode=1&ech=1

Sources:

http://meteociel.fr/

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

Edited by Vorticity0123
  • Like 1

Posted

Muggy here with a uniform grey blanket. Been watching the radar picture since yesterday eve, lots of activity has tried pushing North and stuttered out.. really hope a few of these storms make it, if only so the rain clears the air a bit. Phew.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Stayed dry all night here lol, and now I can hear that lot in the channel probably because the cloud it's in is over head, sounds interesting, almost constant distant rumble, but will it get here. That low is moving this way very slowly so maybe, but it looks at the moment like were in a winter thread waiting on a channel low.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

It's never felt so painful to watch storm progress..for those further West interest lies in the rain current around Isle of Wight, but MetO shows this weakening by time it reaches us.

Looking good for SE corner... :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Since midnight the cloud has moved north to cover virtually all of England, but the rain/storms have just been spinning around uselessly in the Channel all that time. Why is one moving and not the other?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Since midnight the cloud has moved north to cover virtually all of England, but the rain/storms have just been spinning around uselessly in the Channel all that time. Why is one moving and not the other?

The storm area is staying with the low I think.

Posted

Can hear thunder...

We must have heard the same strike, I heard some too.

• Like 2