Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Of course, the 'buzzword' for this cold spell for most of the Midlands will be 'marginal', but I remember the cold spells of 2010 and 2013 were just the same.  

We had wonderfully cold uppers of almost -10'c and it was dry as a bone!   When the moisture started to come in it went all marginal on us and we had quite a few let downs of rain, whilst everyone else in the land had a snowfset, even the damn channel isles!  

I'll be happy with a couple of inches of snow followed by a high pressure and some vicious frosts!  I'm not expecting a foot of snow, I've gone beyond that nowadays lol :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
43 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Of course, the 'buzzword' for this cold spell for most of the Midlands will be 'marginal', but I remember the cold spells of 2010 and 2013 were just the same.  

We had wonderfully cold uppers of almost -10'c and it was dry as a bone!   When the moisture started to come in it went all marginal on us and we had quite a few let downs of rain, whilst everyone else in the land had a snowfset, even the damn channel isles!  

I'll be happy with a couple of inches of snow followed by a high pressure and some vicious frosts!  I'm not expecting a foot of snow, I've gone beyond that nowadays lol :D

I'm with you all the way......I'll be happy just to see Snow fall :) and not just one am in the Morning!!!

Day-time would be better as one as to work and going to work feeling tired because Ive stayed up til very late ain't good.

Must admit though 2010 was alright for snow here and blimey march 2013 was epic 20cm+ in my back yard.

Anyway let's hope that we all see at least 5cm and this thread get's busy busy busy :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Not a bad winter's day today. It's been mostly dry, with quite a bit of sunshine, and sensibly chilly. Max 5.7 °C earlier; now down to 4.3 °C and actually feeling quite nippy. It shows how awful the weather has been recently that these conditions -- which are really pretty average for January -- feel really refreshing.

As far as next week is concerned, who knows? If I see daytime snowfall for the first time since March 2013, that will be a win in itself. Bewdley is a very un-snowy place -- anything over 5cm is noteworthy; even Mar 2013 maxed out at about 8cm -- so I'm not getting my hopes up. It'd be nice to be surprised, though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Lots of people talking about snow next week perhaps happening "Midlands northwards" again. That's always a bit annoying to hear, given that what we want to know is what's going to happen within the Midlands! I suppose it fits with the media narrative of "north/south divide", and rarely taking much notice of those of us who aren't really either. :nonono:

I'm keeping my hopes low, which after being burned in the past is the best way, I think. Let's face it, if we end up later next week with a few days of quiet UK High weather with some decently cold nights, it'll be vastly preferable to before Christmas even if there isn't a single snowflake. Sleety rain would be the worst outcome (unfortunately quite a likely one for some of us) so I'll struggle to be too upset if it ends up dry and frosty for the most part. :)

Posted
25 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Can someone tell me what are the chances that Birmingham see's snow Thursday/Friday?

This will change from day to day but this is what's on offer today for the week, the snow risk charts show what is on offer at the end of the week.....Happy Days! we hope :D

Capture.thumb.PNG.1907455ff3ee44d6b2c3b5Storm Risk ForecastStorm Risk ForecastStorm Risk Forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
38 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

This will change from day to day but this is what's on offer today for the week, the snow risk charts show what is on offer at the end of the week.....Happy Days! we hope :D

Capture.thumb.PNG.1907455ff3ee44d6b2c3b5Storm Risk ForecastStorm Risk ForecastStorm Risk Forecast

Hi dancer nice looking charts but the bbc latest forecast didn't show much at all except for high ground, they might be playing it safe but there was also not much ppn on there charts. As you said though things will change. Let's hope the midlands thread is buzzing next week, pub run time so more drama to come no doubt. 

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Wow looks better than I first thought, I guess it will be a nowcasting kinda day. My area has similar fairly high elevation to you so that should help :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, snowangel32 said:

Hi dancer nice looking charts but the bbc latest forecast didn't show much at all except for high ground, they might be playing it safe but there was also not much ppn on there charts. As you said though things will change. Let's hope the midlands thread is buzzing next week, pub run time so more drama to come no doubt. 

AMEN :drunk-emoji:   it's certainly a roller coaster ride is that!

scared despicable me roller coaster

Let's hope we all don't look like Mr grumpy come the end of the week :whistling::D

200_s.gif

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

AMEN :drunk-emoji:   it's certainly a roller coaster ride is that!

scared despicable me roller coaster

Let hope we all don't look like Mr grumpy come the end of the week :whistling::D

200_s.gif

Yh check out the pub run lol , this is going to go down to now casting because the models have gone awol.:wallbash:

Posted
22 minutes ago, nobble said:

Any chance of wet snow tonight in these squally showers?

Yh for the Peak District but for us lowly lot no just cold rain.

Posted

Brief mention of some potential for wet snow in places tonight as all that rain crosses our region. Didn't think much of it when it was shown on the Midlands Today map, but then it was on the national map as well a couple of minutes later. Probably won't amount to anything interesting away from the highest hilltops, but just goes to show how things can turn up from nowhere sometimes!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kieran said:

gfs-2-120.png?18

Far off but that would give several cm's for the whole midlands region?

Oh yes a slider, always good to look at but very difficult to forecast, from run to run you will see the PPN more to the west or to the east or even it will disappear all together.

As we come closer 24-48 hrs i will post hi res charts which are better for any PPN for rain or snow.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hello all, been a while since I last posted. Hope you are well. Maybe a little sleetiness possible tonight, i.e shropshire hills, Malvern Hills, Black Mountains and Brecons, maybe even higher parts of the Black Country. 

Us lot in the Midlands could be in one of the best places this week for some more organised snowfall this week, or rain... at least here in the southern half of the UK. Going to be more ups and downs in the models this coming week. Been exhausting to watch so far!

Still, I have not seen any proper snow for about 3 years now. Had a brief snow shower back in that brief November cold shot and a short snow shower in Cornwall last winter. Didn't really get to see the goods of March 2013 either, or Jan 2013 for that matter having been residing in the land of the woodshed and daffodills. Saying that, our daffodills are currently shooting through the ground well here!

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Also would just like to add its interesting a few Hi res models like the NMM send a small area of heavy PPN right through Worcestershire/Black Country/Staffs way around dawn in the morning. HIRLAM is even more optimistic with a nice snowy surprise for the W Mids region in the morning though is probably quite too optimistic but still. Moreover, this looks to coincide with an area of light wind speeds, thus allowing for evaporative cooling perhaps? Might just be heavy enough to allow a wintry mix for some. Chance of pure snow low for the vast majority I reckon and a covering even lower. Maybe a 20% chance of a little wintry mix in the aforementioned areas around 5-7am? Enough to have a look out for maybe. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
24 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Also would just like to add its interesting a few Hi res models like the NMM send a small area of heavy PPN right through Worcestershire/Black Country/Staffs way around dawn in the morning. HIRLAM is even more optimistic with a nice snowy surprise for the W Mids region in the morning though is probably quite too optimistic but still. Moreover, this looks to coincide with an area of light wind speeds, thus allowing for evaporative cooling perhaps? Might just be heavy enough to allow a wintry mix for some. Chance of pure snow low for the vast majority I reckon and a covering even lower. Maybe a 20% chance of a little wintry mix in the aforementioned areas around 5-7am? Enough to have a look out for maybe. :)

Nice last few hours have been crazy with much more snow potential on offer let's hope those daffs look more like snow drops at the end of the week lol. 

• Like 1

Posted

Reports of sleet in the Mendip hills in Somerset. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.
7 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Hello all, been a while since I last posted. Hope you are well. Maybe a little sleetiness possible tonight, i.e shropshire hills, Malvern Hills, Black Mountains and Brecons, maybe even higher parts of the Black Country. 

Us lot in the Midlands could be in one of the best places this week for some more organised snowfall this week, or rain... at least here in the southern half of the UK. Going to be more ups and downs in the models this coming week. Been exhausting to watch so far!

Still, I have not seen any proper snow for about 3 years now. Had a brief snow shower back in that brief November cold shot and a short snow shower in Cornwall last winter. Didn't really get to see the goods of March 2013 either, or Jan 2013 for that matter having been residing in the land of the woodshed and daffodills. Saying that, our daffodills are currently shooting through the ground well here!

No sleet overnight where I am on the Malverns. In fact it's sat at a stubborn 4.1oC all night, and now there's a light fog.

I'd love to see some white stuff - Facebook insisted on reminding me of a very snowy day some 6 years ago - 6th January 2010 - when we had several inches of snow, and it has indeed been a long time since anything significant here. We missed out last winter. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much! However the far brighter days recently have been a welcome relief - but we've yet to see a frost this winter.

Edited by Barbmac

Posted
34 minutes ago, Barbmac said:

No sleet overnight where I am on the Malverns. In fact it's sat at a stubborn 4.1oC all night, and now there's a light fog.

I'd love to see some white stuff - Facebook insisted on reminding me of a very snowy day some 6 years ago - 6th January 2010 - when we had several inches of snow, and it has indeed been a long time since anything significant here. We missed out last winter. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much! However the far brighter days recently have been a welcome relief - but we've yet to see a frost this winter.

You will see some nice frosts this week but according to the bbc weather not much ppn about from wed to sat and any that does fall will be a sleety mix I do hope they are wrong. So at present cold and dry with some sleet or snow in the hills is there forecast. Still time for change though. We need that Cheshire gap to start brewing lol.

Edited by snowangel32

Posted
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

You will see some nice frosts this week but according to the bbc weather not much ppn about from wed to sat and and that does fall will be a sleety mix I do hope they are wrong. So at present cold and dry with some sleet or snow in the hills is there forecast. Still time for change though. We need that Cheshire gap to start brewing lol.

The BBC are useless when it comes to snow. Quiet often it's been snowing outside and they've had now snow symbols and temperatures of 7-8'c!!      They also missed one snow even altogether and were still forecasting rain as heavy snow was falling!

Posted
35 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

The BBC are useless when it comes to snow. Quiet often it's been snowing outside and they've had now snow symbols and temperatures of 7-8'c!!      They also missed one snow even altogether and were still forecasting rain as heavy snow was falling!

very true but still worries me the lack of ppn they are seeing also met app is similar but that is as equally as useless. 

Last update shows rain through most of Thursday morning and afternoon with snow for an hour lol. Like you said they are useless. :wallbash:

Edited by snowangel32