Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

An almost cloudless start to the day here after a few overnight showers.

It could hardly be classed as  cold though with a current temp' of 4.1c.

you had a snowless month? unreal if you have up there, must be first ever snowless Dec

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Had a covering on the 21 November.. Other than that just some sleety mix sometimes so far this December, A very poor effort indeed so far!

IMG-20151223-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you had a snowless month? unreal if you have up there, must be first ever snowless Dec

There's been just one day with sleet this month.

I've never recorded a December with no sleet or snow at all but there have been 4 with no lying snow at any time of day; 1987; 1988; 2006 and 2007.  2015 looks likely to be added to that list.

• Like 1

Posted

well, a neighbour reminded me last year that they were stuck in snow  on boxing day on the estate, and yep it was true I forgot how bad it was here that night.

plenty of fun and games.

we came close to a real white Christmas in Dec 14, looks like no chance here this time around.VID_20141226_225735644.mp4

Posted

Some very heavy rain here now it boucing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's been a feature of this month that rapid change of air mass has meant that many of  those days which have been relatively cool have returned high maximum temp's due to milder air moving in during the overnight period.

Yesterday was a case in point with a daytime max' of 6.9c ( yes, hardly cool I know! ) but by the early hours of this morning the temperature was up to 8.9c. The 9th, 13th, 15th and 21st were other examples.

The 13th would have been the coldest day of the month with a day max' of  3.7c but by morning the temp' had risen to 6.6c.  

• Like 1

Posted

Today the most seasonal day of the month coldest at 6.6c and there was sleet in a shower even incredible :reindeer-emoji: for the hottest December since dare I say I won`t say.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Yes a little sleet mix in the heavy downpour here this morning, Clear sky's since mid afternoon with the temp falling to currently 3.9c and very little wind. It actually feels chilly after the balmy temp of late.

Yes Merry Christmas to all here in the Midlands thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Temps dropping rapidly here now with clear skies.

Was 10.6C at 09:00, now down to 3.6C with little wind.

Can we get a white frost for morning?

Merry Christmas to everyone....

I have just seen/read the MOD thread... Some possibilities for New Year.

Lets keep everything crossed and hope Santa delivers tomorrow :D:D:yahoo:with a further upgrade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well, a little Christmas present of hope from Metcheck for Solihull....

Merry Christmas fellow Midlanders :)

image.png

• Like 1

Posted

Merry Christmas everyone , just dropped to 3 deg c here feels cold considering the balmy warmth we've had !! 

Posted

Merry Christmas everyone :)

The temperature here dropped to 3.5°C a short while ago, the coldest it's been since 12th December.

Bish

Posted

A dry clear morning with a low of 1.6c, Currently 3.9c with a light W/S/W F2.

Posted

More (largely unforecast) showers during the night, temp dropped to 5C in the clear slot around midnight but couldn't go down properly because of all the rain piling in. 

Damp and 6C now, yet I am still seeing forecasts for dry and 4C....

Posted

Spring like day, sunny at times now, 12.8C, some areas on course surely for warmest Boxing day on record

we'll have to pay for this though, January looking very wet, contender for wettest January on record for midlands southwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Maxed out at 14.5 °C here this afternoon, after a crazy minimum of 12.7 °C last night! Clearly Jack Frost has been on the :drunk-emoji:
Today was grey and wet. Of course. I remember saying in November that the only sort of winter I really didn't want was a wet one. Yes, well, that worked out well, didn't it! I just hope the second half of winter won't be so awful. I normally find people who say they want to emigrate because of the British weather really irritating, but at times like this I start to see their point...

The Severn here in Bewdley is nothing to worry about, and I'm not sure the defences will even have much to do unless there's a lot more rain in the catchment soon. It's murky and depressing and immensely boring to have this weather for weeks on end, but it's not really getting in the way of ordinary daily life in any way.

Of course, my heart goes out to those further north who have a lot more to worry about than just damp and gloom. It's heartbreaking to see some of the news and photos coming out of those regions.

Posted
7 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Spring like day, sunny at times now, 12.8C, some areas on course surely for warmest Boxing day on record

we'll have to pay for this though, January looking very wet, contender for wettest January on record for midlands southwards

A bold statement to be making on the 26th December.

Same as saying that my choice of lottery numbers are contenders for winning next Saturday.

Edited by Gord

Posted
26 minutes ago, Gord said:

A bold statement to be making on the 26th December.

Same as saying that my choice of lottery numbers are contenders for winning next Saturday.

hardly! I think a washout January for low levels midlands south, is miles more likely than winning the lottery!

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hardly! I think a washout January for low levels midlands south, is miles more likely than winning the lottery!

Indeed, but how can you say what's going to happen? My knowledge is very limited...on what grounds do you make this prediction?

To predict that it will be wet is fair enough but I've seen you twice on here saying that it will break records and as someone who loves learning about these things, I'm genuinely interested in why you predict this.

Edited by Gord

Posted
Just now, Gord said:

Indeed, but how can you say what's going to happen? My knowledge is very limited...on what grounds do you make this prediction?

To precit that it will be wet is fair enough but I've seen you twice on here saying that it will break records and as someone who loves learning about these things, I'm genuinely interested in why you predict this.

mine is limited too, but it's obvious over the years Nov to Feb period is getting more low pressure dominated, wetter and milder, models also continuing to show lows battering us on a more southerly track to Dec, so our turn for the flooding, while the north (high levels at least) see feet of snow

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

mine is limited too, but it's obvious over the years Nov to Feb period is getting more low pressure dominated, wetter and milder, models also continuing to show lows battering us on a more southerly track to Dec, so our turn for the flooding, while the north (high levels at least) see feet of snow

Interesting, so a more hyped up version of last winter where we ended up of the mild side of the weather systems while the snow went up north?

I will be first to be impressed if you are correct but I would be far too scared to make a prediction like that this early on!

Fair play to you, it's through making predictions and then observing that we learn

(..and if you do have the lottery numbers I would be grateful! ;):D )

Edited by Gord