Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Darn right im ready PM....  reading Tamra's post just now in the MOD had me doing a little fist pump and a yes.... im sure nobody else heard it... its been nearly 3 years since we had any proper snow... i know we had some last winter but it was not spectacular so im really hoping this upcoming spell really delivers and not just for us at altitude i want everybody in the Midlands thread to enjoy some stonking cold and snow.... bring it on...

1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

Darn right im ready PM....  reading Tamra's post just now in the MOD had me doing a little fist pump and a yes.... im sure nobody else heard it... its been nearly 3 years since we had any proper snow... i know we had some last winter but it was not spectacular so im really hoping this upcoming spell really delivers and not just for us at altitude i want everybody in the Midlands thread to enjoy some stonking cold and snow.... bring it on...

Strange how you say nothing special last year I took a drive up to the Peak District for my snow fix it was like a winter wonderland planning the same this year. But at present I think the midlands is in a good position for any snow. But still a long way off to call.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes we had plenty of snow days last year. Hail/sleet shower here just.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

yes we had snow falling a few days but nothing to compare to 2013 my first winter here so i guess i was spoilt that winter... i do think we will all get in on the action this time round tho... looking forward to reporting in here... currently clearer here and temp has dropped to 4c but feels very bitter in the wind when compared to the last few months...

Posted

Sleet shower just now. Temp 2.5c, WC -1c, Dp 1.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, same here P.M. The first sleet of 2016!

A windier day today than I expected with the mean speed at 350 m reaching 38-39 mph early this afternoon and a gust of 60 mph.

• Like 1

Posted

Just warming up my seat in here for when/if the cold spell becomes certain and we can all run off into our regional threads to get reporting on what we can see from our own little rectangles on the planet!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Yep, and we can all commiserate when the inevitable mild sectors appear at the last moment. :rofl:

Still, first stage accomplished: the max here today was 7.5 °C, which is a sensible max for the middle of winter!

• Like 1

Posted

Ugh the MOD thread makes awful reading this morning. Why does it always have to be so complicated?

Nonetheless, at least it will be getting a lot colder for all of us next week :)

Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Quiet on here...

Is everyone watching the MOD drama show?

For my own twopence worth, I think that if this Azores low moves south of here we could be in for the mother of all blizzards.:D:cold::cold:. We can but hope.

Anyway back to today.

Frost this morning Min -0.7C, and frost everywhere . Currently at 5.5C, with varying cloud. I'm happy with this for the time being.

:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Fergieweather has been quoted via twitter saying the Met expect the cold to last into next weekend and the following week but snow forecasting will be an issue.... so it looks like its game on for a cold spell... lets hope we all see some fun and action in the upcoming week or 2.... nice to see some old faces back in here in time for the cold spell...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Made it down to -0.2 °C briefly last night, so first frost of 2016 ticked off! Tbh I don't mind that much about next week -- though it's a balancing act. I'd rather have snow than dry, but I'd rather have dry than rain. So I only want ppn if it's going to be the white version... and in our part of the UK, without significant altitude, it's nearly always knife-edge city!

Oh well, at least it's more interesting than it has been recently. :)

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, bigsnow said:

Fergieweather has been quoted via twitter saying the Met expect the cold to last into next weekend and the following week but snow forecasting will be an issue.... so it looks like its game on for a cold spell... lets hope we all see some fun and action in the upcoming week or 2.... nice to see some old faces back in here in time for the cold spell...

lets hope the GFS is wrong then, meto on board half the battle, ECM 12z looking at model thread though not ideal, to me looks very good in FI

• Like 1

Posted

Quote from TomC over on The Other Site just now: "22/23 of the 12 Z MOGREPS ensembles have the cold spell in place next weekend." Sounds quite reassuring to me.

Also, these 2m temperatures might not be 2010-esque, but they're a heck of a lot more like winter (for the first week, anyway) than anything we saw in December. Surface cold, to some degree, still looks pretty nailed on for our region.

t2mWest~Midlands.png

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 2

Posted

A damp overcast day here with temp 5.6c, Maybe the chance of something Wintry tomorrow for the Pennines.

a.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Morning all, Well it's all about the weather and it's up's and down's in our search for cold and we have certainly had them this week.

It will be getting colder as this forthcoming week progresses with potential for snow come Thursday.

But i must add there's still along way to go yet but one that i'm keeping an eye on for certain in the ECM

Looking at this first chart you can see LP at the bottom, this will run along the channel 

ECU1-120_kkf3.GIFECU1-144_dfk9.GIF

With the 850hpa at round -7 to -8.....  that low will would produce plenty of snow for the Midlands 

ECU0-144_oqo2.GIFECU0-168_aia9.GIF

And the rest of the weekend being cold, the snow would most certainly stay around.

But like i said 'potential is the word at this stage' .....But come on we need this :)

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Morning all, Well it's all about the weather and it's up's and down's in our search for cold and we have certainly had them this week.

It will be getting colder as this forthcoming week progresses with potential for snow come Thursday.

But i must add there's still along way to go yet but one that i'm keeping an eye on for certain in the ECM

Looking at this first chart you can see LP at the bottom, this will run along the channel 

ECU1-120_kkf3.GIFECU1-144_dfk9.GIF

With the 850hpa at round -7 to -8.....  that low will would produce plenty of snow for the Midlands 

ECU0-144_oqo2.GIFECU0-168_aia9.GIF

And the rest of the weekend being cold, the snow would most certainly stay around.

But like i said 'potential is the word at this stage' .....But come on we need this :)

Let's hope for some more upgrades ay? The models even just 90 hours out are all over the place, even guessing next week's weather is very difficult. 

I'm hopeful still, but do have a huge amount of trepidation about snow chances. We must be the most let down region of the UK when it comes to snow. Hopefully we'll get some nice rime frosts to photo though, that's almost as good as snow :)

• Like 2

Posted

First snow of 2016 up grouse mountain vancouver....  Lookslike glossop and peak district might cop some snow next week too....off to san francisco lunchtime.... Chilly there too...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Knife-Edge City still! Of course we Midlanders don't expect anything else, exceptional 2010-style events apart. I guess the thing about our region is that (unless you're up high) it doesn't often all come together, only every few years really... but on those rare occasions when it does it can really deliver the goods.

Admittedly today hasn't been great -- was okay until early afternoon, but since then it's been wet wet wet. The River Severn is just overtopping (the bank, not the barriers!) in Bewdley, and the EA graph shows a gentle rise continuing. Nothing serious right now, but it'd be nice not to have that.

Posted

As I've said before I think we are something of a nowcast region when it comes to snow and therefore it's rare that we get snow forecasts in advance of the event of much distance. I don't expect much next week but we may get the odd surprise at short notice. Thing is we won't know until the middle of next week whether we stand much chance. As I said I don't expect much except the odd flurry perhaps. Still we may get lucky and get a good dumping. Here's hoping :D. Even if we don't though I'm still hopeful there'll be more cold spells before Winter's over and we're still uncertain how long next weeks cold spell will actually last, so plenty to be hopeful for I think. Still it will be nice to get some frosts for once at the very least and it looks like January 2016 is looking like it will be far more worthy of the name of a Winter month than December 2015 was and things are looking on the up for us Midlands coldies. 

• Like 1

Posted

A much cooler morning here with a few sleety light showers, Temp 2.8c, WC -0.4c, 

Posted

How typical, looked at the GFS précis charts  for Thursday and it had 12.5 cm of Snow for Northampton. Whilst here in Bolton it had 1.5 cm :bad:

yet when I lived down there, the  Northampton snow shield was always active.