Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

very true but still worries me the lack of ppn they are seeing also met app is similar but that is as equally as useless. 

The same metoffice app that puts us in rain at 4'c and london in sleet at 7'c?  I'd not worry about it :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Afternoon guys...

Very quiet on here.

I can see why.

The weather is very dull and feels cold.

Temp o/n fell to 1.4C with ground frost and it has now apparently maxed at 4.5C.

No sign of precipitation here.

But I thought we were supposed to be roasting at 8C by now according to GFS,etc yesterday.

MIA

Edit  - oh yes the first day of below average CET since when?

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Rather warmer here on the Severn Riviera at 6.3 °C (min last night 2.4 °C). Weird how raw it feels outside, considering the pretty bog-standard January conditions! On the plus side, it's been dry all day, if a tad on the dull side, and the river has fallen a few inches.

Posted

Even though it's not that far below average, it does feel cold out there.

I started my new job as a tram driver last summer. Survived my first leaf fall season, learned how to cope with slippery rails,  survived my first Christmas and New Year rush, am I going to get a new challenge over the next week? Time to ask my more experienced colleagues for some winter weather advice?

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all, well it's Monday evening and regarding the forecast for snow it's not all bad news ATM...... still a mile to go yet though! :whistling:

But why not, let's have a sneaky look at what's unfolding this forthcoming wintry week.

The Hi-RES Charts are just starting to show PPN for Thursday morning.

nmmuk-1-67-0.png?11-18arpegeuk-1-65-0.png?11-19

Also the ECM is showing snow showers for Friday pm

160111_1200_102.png

:cold:BIG BUT'S..... All hearsay ATM........Upgrades are always welcome :cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Been popping over to the MOD thread for the past few days and if I'm honest I still don't have a clue if I'm going to see a single flake this winter! I'm hoping for a complete snowfest ASAP but I'm just feeling that this event may not be happening IMBY 

I'm in need of some positive snow vibes before I move to the dark side and become a mildie ! :help:

Posted

Them positive sign's maybe just a few days away, OK not a snowmageddon 

But at the start of this month the way things were panning out we was only looking at another mild month head

So I'll be happy with a covering come Thursdays morning...All if's mind you and like i said "Upgrades are always welcome"

And not just for this forthcoming week, the models are still very much open :cold::cold: :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just been outside briefly. Not particularly cold (4.3 °C) but there are a few stars visible behind the haze. Felt calm and peaceful out there, which is probably a good thing after the stresses of watching the GFS/ECM/UKMO perform their aerobatics over the last week or so! My hopes for this week are modest: I'd like to see snow falling in daylight for the first time in almost three years. Surely that's not too much to ask, even for the Midlands? Or is it...?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowsie said:

Been popping over to the MOD thread for the past few days and if I'm honest I still don't have a clue if I'm going to see a single flake this winter! I'm hoping for a complete snowfest ASAP but I'm just feeling that this event may not be happening IMBY 

I'm in need of some positive snow vibes before I move to the dark side and become a mildie ! :help:

Snowsie...

Don't go to the other side!   :cc_confused:

Its full of Staffordshires and Knockers and the like.. There will then be no dream!:D, as every day you will KNOW that a snowflake will not fall!.:nonono::pardon:

Keep the faith...

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

MIA..."Keep the Faith"

gfs-2-96.png?18  Oh Yes! :cold:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

MIA..."Keep the Faith"

gfs-2-96.png?18  Oh Yes! :cold:

Great chart 'our' frosty! the frosty of the midlands thread!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Last nights snow chart was to good to be true this morning the gfs mixes in the dreaded mild sector, still gives us a chance for light snow on Thursday. But with the other models being different once again anything is possible.

image.thumb.jpg.497e738e4c1a90e2dffd9743image.thumb.jpg.bb0c8d42645850daf93c766e

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate sleet here this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Frequent moderate-heavy showers of sleet this morning. Current temp' is 2.7c.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Snowsie...

Don't go to the other side!   :cc_confused:

Its full of Staffordshires and Knockers and the like.. There will then be no dream!:D, as every day you will KNOW that a snowflake will not fall!.:nonono::pardon:

Keep the faith...

MIA

It must be mild then,I`m keeping away lol.

No ground frost this week yet despite temps getting down to 2.5c last night.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, snowangel32 said:

Last nights snow chart was to good to be true this morning the gfs mixes in the dreaded mild sector, still gives us a chance for light snow on Thursday. But with the other models being different once again anything is possible.

image.thumb.jpg.497e738e4c1a90e2dffd9743image.thumb.jpg.bb0c8d42645850daf93c766e

Yep

Just watched the Midland BBC forecast for thursday and we are now in the warm sector!!!

Boo:sorry::wallbash::nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yep

Just watched the Midland BBC forecast for thursday and we are now in the warm sector!!!

Boo:sorry::wallbash::nea:

Oddly enough met have me down for snow Thursday and Friday I don't think they have a clue at present plenty of time for changes.

Posted

GFS 12z showing band of moderate rain pushing eastwards starting off as rain as it reaches the midlands in the early hours...

gfs-2-30.png?12

Rain turning to sleet and snow as the cold air mixes in with the precipitation around rush hour. (This run puts Birmingham in particular in the firing line...

gfs-2-36.png?12

Then turning the precipitation to nearly all snow in most places albeit small accumulations as it clears away to the east....

gfs-2-42.png?12

Whatever happens its very different to what the BBC are showing. Hopefully the GFS ends up the correct outcome! 

Edited by Kieran

Posted
1 hour ago, Kieran said:

GFS 12z showing band of moderate rain pushing eastwards starting off as rain as it reaches the midlands in the early hours...

gfs-2-30.png?12

Rain turning to sleet and snow as the cold air mixes in with the precipitation around rush hour. (This run puts Birmingham in particular in the firing line...

gfs-2-36.png?12

Then turning the precipitation to nearly all snow in most places albeit small accumulations as it clears away to the east....

gfs-2-42.png?12

Whatever happens its very different to what the BBC are showing. Hopefully the GFS ends up the correct outcome!

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

GFS closer up for the same time frame, looks a little different. I think the majority of precipitation will be gone by the time the cold'er' air kicks in

Posted

We had a heavy belt of rain pass earlier, and there was sleet in that, so I'm hopeful of something tomorrow night *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

Posted

Really cold today in the wind today

coldest feeling day of winter so far, had sleet earlier about 3.00pm ....... It's coming

Posted

IT'S SNOWING........:whistling:

Well not just yet folks....:laugh:

But you'll know when it does :yahoo:

Like them two words 'nobble' .....It's coming !!!  :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

I could never really be a mildie! I'm snowsie! Keeping the faith MIA and DWW and will be watching and waiting for those flakes to fall ❄️ :cold:❄️