Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Re the above...

As soon as it went dark,............ the moon came out.

Temperature dropping rapidly at the moment. Currently down to -0,9C with dew point at -3.0C

Looks like coldest night of this winter so far  could be coming up.

MIA

I was just thinking the same thing - it's getting a bit parky out there!

Cold's all very well, but it seems a bit pointless without snow....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
58 minutes ago, fizz511 said:

I was just thinking the same thing - it's getting a bit parky out there!

Cold's all very well, but it seems a bit pointless without snow....

Yep Fizz,

Still clear here now....

Temp now down to -2.1C, with d.p. at -4.2C now.

My lowest so far this winter is -2.9C, so it could be we will have the coldest night.

Any cloud isn't now due until dawn period, so it could be a cold/chilly  day tomorrow with no wind.

:cold::cold::cold:

MIA

Edit - We will have to wait a bit longer for snow yet,  I think,  as my hopes (as suggested ) for today's snow were scuppured by the mushy stuff and milder air from the north west which prevented the high building North. It was my main worry on friday  and was why I wasn't keen on that snow on sat night, as it brought in slightly milder air (and even worse missed us!).

We need  to get the strong high in first now I think.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

FIZZ and MIA.......It's going to be a winter wonderland come tomorrow morning :cold:

At least we'll have some sense of what the east of our region had over the weekend...:D

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A nice, bright Moon out there tonight. I'd be so happy if we actually had some sunshine tomorrow -- it's got to the stage where I'd almost rather have that than snow! (Almost...) Currently -0.2 °C, which rather absurdly already makes this the second-coldest night of the entire cold spell...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Still reasonably clear here this morning with a harsh frost.

Min of -4.3C. So coldest of the winter (so far! LOL)

Currently at -3.3C

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A spectacularly pink sunrise through a sheet of altocumulus this morning.

No air frost overnight due to persistent cloud but enough ground frost to freeze hard the lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Made it down to -2.8 °C overnight, the coldest night of the winter. Very cold and quite misty this morning; I really hope that lifts fully later, not just into low cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

strato muck here, was clear spells -1.0C minimum, Sunday looking wet again, unreal how Sunday always finds a way to be wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I stand corrected from my previous post. When I checked the thermometers there was a brief air frost during the early hours of the morning before the temperature rose above freezing again.

A few fog patches have developed in the valleys over the past hour but on the whole, it's dry, chilly and quiet.

• Like 1

Posted

Much better day today! Freezing fog in the morning, lifted to bright sunshine around lunchtime and then a cold, clear, sunny afternoon of the sort I've really missed. Max 1.7 °C, with frost lingering all day in the shade. Even a little ice on the canals, another thing that's been missing! Back below freezing now at -0.6 °C; if (if!) the cloud holds off it could be a properly cold night. :cold:

Posted
6 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Much better day today! Freezing fog in the morning, lifted to bright sunshine around lunchtime and then a cold, clear, sunny afternoon of the sort I've really missed. Max 1.7 °C, with frost lingering all day in the shade. Even a little ice on the canals, another thing that's been missing! Back below freezing now at -0.6 °C; if (if!) the cloud holds off it could be a properly cold night. :cold:

Unbelievable, got up to 6C here this afternoon and still 4C now. This cold snap just gets more and more like average, even verging on the mild.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

'orrid with me, did you notice cloud sheet to your north? to my south I could see the clear sky, 4.1C my max as it wasn't sunny

Posted

Cold out there......Currently -1.7 c and still dropping :cold:

Posted

South of the region again getting best weather, 0.8C here no breaks, will end up being a balmy night compared to the -8's many in S of the region will be seeing

Posted
52 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

South of the region again getting best weather, 0.8C here no breaks, will end up being a balmy night compared to the -8's many in S of the region will be seeing

-8 would be the coldest since Dec 2010 if it happened here, that's how bad the last few winters have been for low minima. And it's still 2C here, it's even below freezing on the south coast. Why can't we get decent all-night frosts any more?

Posted

Regarding last night - 8 was Benson.... for most it was -3s -4s.

Currently -2.2 here :cold:

M/O Forcasting a max of 1.0c for solihull tomorrow :cold:

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

'orrid with me, did you notice cloud sheet to your north? to my south I could see the clear sky, 4.1C my max as it wasn't sunny

Couldn't really tell, as it was foggy in the morning and I was in town all afternoon so never got a clear view of the N horizon. Sounds like I just got lucky this time; sorry you didn't, and I hope that changes soon!

Edit: currently -1.5 °C here.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Doom and Gloom over in the MOD.... Winters over!!!! honestly a few not so fantastic runs and that place descends into a prozac zone...

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Doom and Gloom over in the MOD.... Winters over!!!! honestly a few not so fantastic runs and that place descends into a prozac zone...

yes, find Steve murr amusing, he seemed confident of cold all the time, and described this week as a Feb '96 style setup, Is it my imagination or is he nearly always wrong? pardon me if he isn't, but if I was to make a weather prediction, I would always pick mild, and cold spells to break down with a whimper

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I just spat Pork Pie everywhere....lol... funny coz its true.... next time a cold spell shows i may just forecast... cold uppers to become not so cold with snow turning to sleet apart from in the peak district... little if any frost all followed by a wet mild spell... cold spell to last a few days milder weather with rain and strong winds to last longer than the cold.... and no its not your imagination... thing is if you say it often enough one day you will be right and be able to clam the glory...

Edited by bigsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
2 hours ago, bigsnow said:

I just spat Pork Pie everywhere....lol... funny coz its true.... next time a cold spell shows i may just forecast... cold uppers to become not so cold with snow turning to sleet apart from in the peak district... little if any frost all followed by a wet mild spell... cold spell to last a few days milder weather with rain and strong winds to last longer than the cold.... and no its not your imagination... thing is if you say it often enough one day you will be right and be able to clam the glory...

I'll go one better than that:D

This is my forecast for the next Midlands snow event...

A snow shield will pop up over Shrewsbury and snow showers will skirt around the town, missing by just a few miles. Birmingham will be forecast 10-15cm of snow with 12 hours to go before the 'event', only for the band of snow to take a huge detour and dump 20cm over Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Northants. The band will then stall before it reaches Oxford, head back Northwards, stall again over Glossop and stay there for days. Leaving a 6 foot dumping of snow and willinglossop roasting chestnuts and a pig on an open fire.

Let's see how accurate it turns out to be:D:rofl:

• Like 3