Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Dropped to -3.7C last night.

Now dull and dreary with the temp at 1.2C.

Frost on roofs and grass still and looks like snow too.

(one can dream!)

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

-2.5 °C last night. Now up to +1.0 °C and the ground frost is starting to go.

Well, that was winter. Got a whole two nights of it this time!

Anyone else looking forward as much as me to the "joys" of spring, with its damp greyness and depressed temperatures the second we get past Easter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick fog here since 1100. The temperature has struggled up to 1.6c and it looks as though there's patchy rain not far to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

5.3 °C and continuous light rain now. Just a few degrees warmer and we'll be right back to where we were in December. Oh joy.

Posted

I think this run of winters is turning into the worst I've known in my lifetime.

The late 90s and mid to late 2000s were bad, but I don't remember them being as awful as 2013-2016 has been.

It's just seems to go on and on with any cold shots getting weaker each time.

I'm beginning to fear that Atlantic252 is onto something with his gloomy comments on our current state of affairs...

Edited by Gord

Posted

Roll on spring i say, joke of a winter so far.

Could almost be feeling 'early spring like' in any sunny spells on the weekend, temps into double figures, possibly even low teens. 

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Gord said:

I think this run of winters is turning into the worst I've known in my lifetime.

The late 90s and mid to late 2000s were bad, but I don't remember them being as awful as 2013-2016 has been.

It's just seems to go on and on with any cold shots getting weaker each time.

I'm beginning to fear that Atlantic252 is onto something with his gloomy comments on our current state of affairs...

Had a few conversations with people about the matter, and everyone agrees winters are becoming milder, I say since 2000, but probably '98, this will be the mildest winter on record, and one of wettest in NW areas, we look now to be heading into Dec '15 territory, flooding to make news again for the north

still in mildest winter on record, on the upside, I have had 3 smatterings of snow, all evenings, 20th Nov, 14th Jan and 16th Jan, still a snowman (though half dead) not far from me, prob around 112m asl, at 5pm today

Posted

Definitely worse than 1998-2000 here. Although those winters were very poor for snow they at least had regular frosts, even 1997-98. To get it below freezing for more than a couple of hours is an achievement since 2013. And as for last Thurs/Fri, how the hell it cannot snow here with -8 uppers and a Cheshire Gap flow, that should not be rain and sleet. 

And Saturday, didn't start snowing till it reached the M6, just where heat stops in summer these days. We really seem to be heading towards a climate of permanent 10-15C and cloud, summer or winter.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Definitely worse than 1998-2000 here. Although those winters were very poor for snow they at least had regular frosts, even 1997-98. To get it below freezing for more than a couple of hours is an achievement since 2013. And as for last Thurs/Fri, how the hell it cannot snow here with -8 uppers and a Cheshire Gap flow, that should not be rain and sleet. 

And Saturday, didn't start snowing till it reached the M6, just where heat stops in summer these days. We really seem to be heading towards a climate of permanent 10-15C and cloud, summer or winter.

We need -10 uppers off a Cheshire Gap flow, if we had a 'Jan '84' setup now, I feel it will be 2C warmer now in 2016, do not want Feb being dominated by cold zonality! mild zonality or none ta!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Didn't comment in here last Saturday as I was out of the house but we ended up with a CM, possible 2 last weekend. All melted by midday, but it made for a nice scene on my drunken walk home..

Back to reality, another crap winter is closing in on us. No real frosts, just rain, wind and a couple of flakes - crap. 

Meanwhile....over on the Eastern side of the US...they have a state of emergency declared...30+ Inches of snow forecast...amazing forecasts > http://www.wbaltv.com/weather/first-significant-snow-may-come-to-maryland-this-weekend/37498694

It's not fair...who put us this side of that massive pond? To put things into perspective...we got excited over a dusting of sleety wet snow that had melted 6 hours after it stopped finishing..meanwhile..they are squabbling over get only 18 inches and not 24...sigh..

Posted
4 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Didn't comment in here last Saturday as I was out of the house but we ended up with a CM, possible 2 last weekend. All melted by midday, but it made for a nice scene on my drunken walk home..

Back to reality, another crap winter is closing in on us. No real frosts, just rain, wind and a couple of flakes - crap. 

Meanwhile....over on the Eastern side of the US...they have a state of emergency declared...30+ Inches of snow forecast...amazing forecasts > http://www.wbaltv.com/weather/first-significant-snow-may-come-to-maryland-this-weekend/37498694

It's not fair...who put us this side of that massive pond? To put things into perspective...we got excited over a dusting of sleety wet snow that had melted 6 hours after it stopped finishing..meanwhile..they are squabbling over get only 18 inches and not 24...sigh..

normality 2000+ winters, least we got a smattering

Posted

Oh look, the warm up and transition to milder and wetter conditions is going exactly as forecast...

...well done weather.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Gord said:

Oh look, the warm up and transition to milder and wetter conditions is going exactly as forecast...

...well done weather.

If anything as usual it downgraded, today all week was looking bone dry, until last night, no washout but not bone dry, dry weather and high pressure always downgrades

models seem to be trending towards the horrid setup of NW'lys for early Feb, lots of rain for us with average temps

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

If anything as usual it downgraded, today all week was looking bone dry, until last night, no washout but not bone dry, dry weather and high pressure always downgrades

models seem to be trending towards the horrid setup of NW'lys for early Feb, lots of rain for us with average temps

Yeah, northwesterlies have been very poor for us over the past 2 winters. A shame because we have had success (mixed though!) with them in the past. Hopefully, it will be drier than what you're fearing though. If it's a showery NW setup, that gives us a fighting chance of remaining dry.

But whatever, still plenty of rain to get through first anyway. So what does it matter,

Edited by Gord

Posted

another example of a dry day downgrade was Sat 16th and Sun 17th, was meant to be clear skies, with Alex Deakin's sparkling sunshine, where was it? but at least I had a bit of snow

gordon, the warmer the rain the better though!

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

another example of a dry day downgrade was Sat 16th and Sun 17th, was meant to be clear skies, with Alex Deakin's sparkling sunshine, where was it? but at least I had a bit of snow

gordon, the warmer the rain the better though!

In a July heatwave during a thunderstorm maybe!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Nice little update from fergieweather in the MOD.... Looks like the stuff we dont get to see is latching onto something for Feb.... keep the faith people winter was always meant to be a late starter...spring could also be a fun time.... lets just all think back to how good March 2013 was..... i know most of you would settle for another month like that....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

By the time I am back from Scandinavia I may be sick of snow. Hehe. But seriously by March I will be craving spring weather, more so with Easter early this year. Would like to enjoy the garden once more!

Posted
13 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

We need -10 uppers off a Cheshire Gap flow, if we had a 'Jan '84' setup now, I feel it will be 2C warmer now in 2016, do not want Feb being dominated by cold zonality! mild zonality or none ta!

Clearly now we do, maybe even -12. Didn't used to be the case, Christmas 2004 I think was about -5 or 6. 

Jan 1984 I have seen the reports from, it was rubbish except in Scotland and Northern England above 200m where is was epic. There was a ridiculous N-S contrast with snow lying all month in the north and not at all in the south, the Midlands typically had 1-3 days lying snow with lots of sleet. I was living in South Wales then and don't remember a thing, unsurprisingly as it had nothing down there.

Nowadays it would have everyone bar the Scotland and Far North England thread tearing their hair out on here. No thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

January 1984 was certainly an epic month here and still holds the record for the greatest cumulative snowfall in any month at 69 cm. Snow covered more than half  the ground on 24 mornings and there were 5 days with thunder, 4 of them had simultaneous thunder and snow.

The largest single snowfall that month was 32cm on the 23rd.

Posted

Feeling mild out there in the sunshine today.

Upto 2ft of snow expected from this snowstorm in NE USA, and to think some of us didnt even manage 2cm last week. Makes you want to cry

Posted
8 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Clearly now we do, maybe even -12. Didn't used to be the case, Christmas 2004 I think was about -5 or 6. 

Jan 1984 I have seen the reports from, it was rubbish except in Scotland and Northern England above 200m where is was epic. There was a ridiculous N-S contrast with snow lying all month in the north and not at all in the south, the Midlands typically had 1-3 days lying snow with lots of sleet. I was living in South Wales then and don't remember a thing, unsurprisingly as it had nothing down there.

Nowadays it would have everyone bar the Scotland and Far North England thread tearing their hair out on here. No thanks.

if it happened now though, much less snow low levels midlands, more rain, perhaps a smattering at best gone by midday

Posted
7 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Just holding out hope for an 8-10 Feb 2007 repeat, that sort of thing may be our best chance. 3 days of fantastic winter weather in the midst of 3 months of utter rubbish.

9 years on, I know not that long in weather terms, but probably would be less snow, more marginality, also maybe 0.5 increase in temps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Last year I remember watching a link on here for hours when a storm hit America. Has anyone got any links to live cams this year? I've been googling but can't find a good one! Sorry if this is off topic but I am in need of some snow watching and I don't think I will be doing any IMBY any time soon!