Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Mild again today, I had high hopes for this winter and thought we would get a week or two of cold weather with snow on the ground. The cloak is ticking and no really sign of winter in the next couple of weeks .

Maybe something for us coldies next winter. :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I was in Leicestershire yesterday, and once the morning rain had cleared it was a decent winter's day. Very cold in the wind, but a fair amount of sunshine. A one-day wonder, though, and today's back to mild and murky gunk. It's just nothingness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Relatively strong gusts in the region tomorrow (widely 50mph). However this may just be a taster of next week.

56ae9a0ff3046_18_18_windvector_gust1.thu

Posted

When the last pieces of the snow drifts melted away in March 2013, who knew that would be it for potentially 3 years!

They've been some quick, light coverings since but it's appalling really.

Best weather events I can recall since that March all include thunder in one form or another.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 hours ago, Gord said:

When the last pieces of the snow drifts melted away in March 2013, who knew that would be it for potentially 3 years!

They've been some quick, light coverings since but it's appalling really.

Best weather events I can recall since that March all include thunder in one form or another.

Now imagine how I feel, as someone who isn't even a big thunderstorm fan! :p

But seriously, today's winds are probably the most interesting thing to happen this winter that doesn't involve flooding. Certainly blowing a bit outside right now, and one or two houses nearby have had chimneys etc knocked about a little. I don't have an anemometer, but I wouldn't be surprised if gusts have reached 50 mph this afternoon, very unusual for this location.

Edit: 69 mph gust at Shawbury earlier. That's going some for a low-level inland site.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some nice sky's tonight here.

20160201_171729_Richtone(HDR).jpg20160201_171637_Richtone(HDR).jpg20160201_171519_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Nacreous clouds I missed the best as i was driving back from work but managed to get this when i got home.

rsz_2rsz_picture_172i.jpg

Edited by LeeKay
Corrected cloud type. From Lenticuar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 hours ago, LeeKay said:

Nacreous clouds I missed the best as i was driving back from work but managed to get this when i got home.

rsz_2rsz_picture_172i.jpg

yes, same here, not as good as further north west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, same here, not as good as further north west

Yep

I had it here also at about 16:45, as I was driving home.

It showed up high above me and also showed up as an amorphus coloured mass before it then dissipated.

Very beautiful.

Breezy and cooler this morning with a temperature of 6.2C

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

well amazingly the BBC weather site has me down for a spell of heavy snow for early hours of tomorrow morning... might make the school run a bit more fun.. still got a feeling winter is not done with the Midlands just yet...

Posted

Looking forward to at least hills getting covering tonight.... Its very cold here in wind....4c feels like -2c in wind.... Fire on tonight.... Some forecasts going for 2-3 inches of snow up here at my postcode but we shall see.... Got busy day tomorrow so hopefully wont amount to too much....

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a sleety shower come threw here...very light and didnt last long but maybe just the start of tonight and tomorrow mornings fun and games, for some of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snow tomorrow morning? pfftt unlikely.

Not impressed it looks like turning milder across Scandinavia for a time next week either as I go on holiday there. Hope it gets colder.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Snow tomorrow morning? pfftt unlikely.

Not impressed it looks like turning milder across Scandinavia for a time next week either as I go on holiday there. Hope it gets colder.

I hope it gets colder for you and you at least get to see some proper snow and cold weather... maybe thats the answer for us snow fans.. up sticks to a cold snowy part of the world... im that desperate ive booked lapland for this christmas..23rd to 27th december. not sure if its a holiday of a life time for the kids of for me... knowing my luck UK will have the coldest snowiest xmas week on record and i will have wasted all my money..

Posted

Warnings out for snow and ice into the early hours from the Meto'.

Issued at: 
1038 on Tue 2 Feb 2016

Valid from: 
1800 on Tue 2 Feb 2016

Valid to: 
1000 on Wed 3 Feb 2016

Wintry showers will continue on and off overnight. Clear skies between areas of showers will allow ice to form at times on untreated surfaces. In addition over high ground, above about 300 m and especially across Scotland, some accumulations of snow are likely. Please be aware of the potential for difficult driving conditions and some disruption.

A chilly northwesterly flow will cover the British Isles overnight and into Wednesday morning bringing a mixture of clear spells and wintry showers. Temperatures will vary with cloud cover, being coldest under clear skies between showers, when icy patches will form from time to time on untreated surfaces. In addition some snow accumulations are likely in places above 300 m, especially across Scotland, bringing an additional hazard to travel. The showers will tend to die away during Wednesday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, bigsnow said:

well amazingly the BBC weather site has me down for a spell of heavy snow for early hours of tomorrow morning... might make the school run a bit more fun.. still got a feeling winter is not done with the Midlands just yet...

Yes, I think maybe 1-2cms for you, and other high up members between 6-9am

Posted

Ah the March 13 snow drifts kept snow on the ground in my front garden until late April / early May .... Maybe just maybe snow showers in morning !!! Really is few and far between tit bits this winter !! Feels raw today in the wind , wood burner ablaze tonight 

Posted

Hail with a few flakes mixed in here just now.

Posted

Chucking it down with rain. Winter 2015/16 manages it again, the dew point was -1C when it arrived and it still rains. Had been clear for hours and still no frost. Really running out of patience with this winter now, it's worse than 2013/4 thus far.

Posted

A covering of snow here.