Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
10 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Finally stopped raining here, after a long period of nuiscance-value rain, much of which came after the radar had shown it clearing. Still fairly mild, despite the wind, but it'd be nice to have a frosty night tonight.

On the earlier debate, rain rain rain has become the most boring type of weather for me over the last few months. A spring/summer filled with blue skies and sun would be such a novelty that I'd find it a lot more interesting! Give me a warm, dry, sunny summer, please! All personal preferences, of course, and I won't knock anyone for liking more active weather. :)

Spot on. It's the novelties which make life interesting and good. If we had thundery showers etc every day we wouldn't get excited about it or really talk about it. The rarer forms of weather are what get us discussing here really. Even a a good few warm sunny days are a rarity ATM and will be discussed with open arms! Lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
35 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Spot on. It's the novelties which make life interesting and good.

Like two feet of snow!

Mind you, I'm not sure Bewdley has ever had that sort of depth, at least not in living memory. I don't think even 1947 managed it: this article from Weather about Halesowen in the winter of '47 states that the level depth reached 42 cm on 6 March. I'd be surprised if Bewdley's snow was as deep. (For reference: Feb 1991 gave us a max depth of 20 cm.)

Back to the present, and it's 3.5 °C right now. I went outside recently and felt really quite cold, though the wind had a lot to do with that. It's coming to something when I think 3.5 °C in the middle of a January night is cold...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
15 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

You have MIA...... lucky so and so :D my turn friday!!!

The NEC opened in 1976, the wife has works there since 1990.

Sorry about last night DWW...

However there was a certain truth in my remarks. It was the first day of the Motor Show at the NEC. Not the opening of the NEC itself. We had 22 inches here in the 16 hours.

It came out of the blue and was the best surprise one could ever have!!!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Looking decent for wintry showers across Midlands during Sat.  Noticed 500mb cold pool and steep lapse rates has been revised south on latest GFS run, increasing instability.  Strong mid/upper level jet should drive shower activity well inland.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Ian F has just posted in MOD that a SSW has started its only a minor warming at present tho.. but they expect it to lead to a central north atlantic ridge with NW/N winds and Somewhat below average temps...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, bigsnow said:

Ian F has just posted in MOD that a SSW has started its only a minor warming at present tho.. but they expect it to lead to a central north atlantic ridge with NW/N winds and Somewhat below average temps...

you'll see snow I think this saturday, few cms maybe, and maybe more Tues/Wed, before turning back to normal on Fri 5th feb

GFS handling it best again, those 2 pure fantasy ECM runs were ridiculous 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you'll see snow I think this saturday, few cms maybe, and maybe more Tues/Wed, before turning back to normal on Fri 5th feb

GFS handling it best again, those 2 pure fantasy ECM runs were ridiculous 

A few cm's will do for me at this stage... nice if it stuck about to take the kids out for round 2 in the snowball war...

Posted

Another interesting up date from Ian F this morning.... i got a funny feeling its going to be a very interesting final few weeks of winter and March could see some fun and games... keep the faith people we will have our snow event and fun..

Posted

Another interesting up date from Ian F this morning.... i got a funny feeling its going to be a very interesting final few weeks of winter and March could see some fun and games... keep the faith people we will have our snow event and fun..

Posted

Bloomin heck, something better happen. I'm hanging onto one clap of thunder in the very early hours of New Year's Eve as the highlight of the winter at the moment.

If there's a second one at some point, the excitement levels here in Dudley might just be too much...

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Scotland are really hogging the interesting weather. Orange snow and wind warning out for them tomorrow, whilst the Midlands is one of the few places without any warning. I don't think a single Amber warning has been issued here since the snow of 2013, which just proves how boring the weather is being! Despite this winter being the lamest of the lame, I have some faith in that Spring will give us what winter should have given us, snow. If it doesn't snow by March (or even in April), summer is probably going to suck, and the vicious cycle of mild winters and cool summers may continue...

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

First sleet hail snow shower here just now. Passed thru quickly.

Amazing as I have been messing/cleaning about with the outdoor weather recorder this morning  and just dashed in!!

So I have no idea of the temperature, but with the thing opened up and sun on it it was recording 7.0C.

I also had no idea a shower was approaching as it has been sunny all the time!

I'll give it time to settle down again and see what it is recording then!

MIA

Edit...

Just re-checked and the temperature is still 7.0C..

BUT the rel humidity is only 45%. This gives a dew point of -3.2C showing on the recorder...

That is truly amazing and must mean that the air over us is of an Arctic origin to have that low a dewpoint.

It could mean  bit of snow for us tomorrow if we are in the very cold air already.

:cold::D:D

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A dry chilly afternoon with long sunny spells and a few snow flurry's passing.

Temp 4.6c

Dp -0.7c

WC 0.3c W/N/W Avg 11.6mph

Gusting 38mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

A potentially severe windstorm may strike the Midlands next Saturday, gusts perhaps exceeding 60mph inland, potential for 70mph gusts. Obviously this is a long way off and subject to changes.

Posted

Not many snow showers in our region then ?

this time a fortnight ago I was waiting for the sleet to turn to snow 

Posted

Some light/moderate snow showers here with a slight covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Never mind snow shower here in these parts we haven't even had a rain shower today. Well at least some of you have seen some snow today this winter is turning to be another crap1.

Posted

Hills currently shrouded in cloud and drizzle. A typical Sunday here with the fire on and an afternoon in-front of the TV/laptop..

Temp 4.6c

Wind W/S/W avg 5mph

Rain 2.4mm

Posted

No frost, no snow, no cold snap. It couldn't even stay clear last night, clouded over again now.

What a rubbish January. Just as rubbish as December in a slightly different way- a few good synoptics producing nothing, and far too much rain. Just 5 frosts this winter (plus one in Nov), less than at the same stage in 2013/4.

• Like 2