Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A superb sunny day here. One of those days where from indoors at least, you could imagine it being 15c warmer (A big ask I know) but it being that first really pleasant spring day of the year. Brings a happy feeling for sure!

However a very cold one out their tonight. Everything white with frost already and a hint of mistiness. Whether that transpires to freezing fog who knows. Wouldn't mind seeing some. Suspect as the mild spell ensues and we fast approach the end of february, the time for widespread fog will be on its last legs before autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT GO INTO THE MOD...... blimey its the end of the world in there today....Even after a most wonderful post from Tamara explaining that the Models are all over the shop and as to why it may be like this.... still we have the Winters over and bring on spring post coming thick and fast all because Feb and March cold dont deliver in certain posters back yards.... they seem to forget that not 100% of members live in the far South and South East of the UK.....:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

And we hit the dizzy depths of -3 °C for the first time this winter. I don't know how I can stand such intense depths of cold, quite frankly -- it's practically Oymyakon out there tonight. :D

Posted

Not everywhere is frosty I see,but its our turn for a change and the SW -3.0c the coldest night for 348 days to be exact.

Good the fields will be hard and dry about time,makes a change from mud everywhere all the time.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys...

Another low temp for the year (and probably 2 years!)

Min of -5.4C last night  Currently still at -3.6C with variable cloud.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The low here was -4.6 °C, which again is the lowest this winter (easily). Currently -2.7 °C, with the sun just starting to break through mist. Very nice and wintry scene. :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Arctic Hare said:

The low here was -4.6 °C, which again is the lowest this winter (easily). Currently -2.7 °C, with the sun just starting to break through mist. Very nice and wintry scene. :cold:

AH..

I think you might get an ice day today, if the mist hangs around.

It is clear here now and the sun has just started to make in roads into the frost . Now at +0.6C.

MIA 

Posted
54 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

It is clear here now and the sun has just started to make in roads into the frost . Now at +0.6C.

MIA 

Indeed, it's turning out to be another beautiful winter's day here, bright sunshine but still very chilly. Currently 2.8°C and still climbing.

Sounds like tonight might be the final 'proper' cold one of this spell.

Bish

Posted
29 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Indeed, it's turning out to be another beautiful winter's day here, bright sunshine but still very chilly. Currently 2.8°C and still climbing.

Sounds like tonight might be the final 'proper' cold one of this spell.

Bish

Bish..

From your post it reads as if you have your own weather station now.

I am pleased that our minima were so close  as it ties in with my own evidence that my temps although low (for nearly central Solihull ) were easily beaten in the sticks. I was visiting friends on the estate by the Widney Manor golf course and when I left my car temp there was 2C lower than when I arrived home.   So I think very low temps must have been recorded in the rural areas.

Also does you weather station show a dew point? Mine dropped to -7.8C minimum and I would like to compare?

Thanks

MIA

Posted
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Bish..

From your post it reads as if you have your own weather station now.

I am pleased that our minima were so close  as it ties in with my own evidence that my temps although low (for nearly central Solihull ) were easily beaten in the sticks. I was visiting friends on the estate by the Widney Manor golf course and when I left my car temp there was 2C lower than when I arrived home.   So I think very low temps must have been recorded in the rural areas.

Also does you weather station show a dew point? Mine dropped to -7.8C minimum and I would like to compare?

Thanks

MIA

Hi MIA, 

Nope, I'm still using good old Monkspath weather station.

The lowest dew point last night, from what I can tell, was -6.1°C

Bish

Posted
1 minute ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Hi MIA, 

Nope, I'm still using good old Monkspath weather station.

The lowest dew point last night, from what I can tell, was -6.1°C

Bish

Thanks Bish

Posted

GFS 6Z shows the beast is stiring again out in FI and suddenly last nights horror show from the models has been forgotten and Springs off again until the 12z's fail to show it... more ups and downs than a Tarts knickers in there.... a beautiful sunny day here and final the grey cold muck has been replaced by wonderful blue sky... so expecting a cold night tonight before milder air for the weekend... next week who knows whats going to happen if its going to turn cold then we should start to see some bonkers charts over the next few days...

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

GFS 6Z shows the beast is stiring again out in FI and suddenly last nights horror show from the models has been forgotten and Springs off again until the 12z's fail to show it... more ups and downs than a Tarts knickers in there.... a beautiful sunny day here and final the grey cold muck has been replaced by wonderful blue sky... so expecting a cold night tonight before milder air for the weekend... next week who knows whats going to happen if its going to turn cold then we should start to see some bonkers charts over the next few days...

I added an 'edit' to my previous post to Bish   to the same effect., but for some reason it failed to appear.

The point I made was that although it was way out at T+160 ish when it starts to appear, it is supported by the Control and was first shown by the GFSP yesterday.. so has the GFS spotted something not seen by the Euros? In fairness the METO doesn't go out that far and IF is making some 'dont know' messages for February.

PS Just seen that GEM (Canadian model) is also now on board. 

So interesting for now . Lets keep our toys close by at the ready!!!:D:D

MIA

r

• Like 1

Posted

Yes just seen some charts posted that very much match Feb 1991.... Now that would be something to get our teeth into.... if something like that got into say t48 i may even get a little excited...

Posted
7 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

AH..

I think you might get an ice day today, if the mist hangs around.

MIA 

Yes! :yahoo:Even though there was some hazy sunshine in the afternoon, we did stay below freezing all day, with a maximum of -0.4 °C. That's the first ice day I've recorded here since January 2013. Almost at the end, this otherwise pathetic spell provides something of genuine interest.

Edit: well, assuming the temp doesn't rise above zero in the next six hours (I use midnight to midnight figures) it'll be an ice day. It had better not!

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

max of 1°C today, absolute waste when normality resumes from tomorrow, wellies, umbrellas, flooding no doubt for next 4 weeks, typical post 2000 winter, the Atlantic is just strolling through

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Frost has survived through the day in the shade. Don't think that has happened since 2013. And today is the first day of unbroken sunshine since I think June last year.

Its when you read a quote like that    that you realise just how bad our climate is here in our country .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
21 hours ago, andy_leics22 said:

I'll go one better than that:D

This is my forecast for the next Midlands snow event...

A snow shield will pop up over Shrewsbury and snow showers will skirt around the town, missing by just a few miles. Birmingham will be forecast 10-15cm of snow with 12 hours to go before the 'event', only for the band of snow to take a huge detour and dump 20cm over Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Northants. The band will then stall before it reaches Oxford, head back Northwards, stall again over Glossop and stay there for days. Leaving a 6 foot dumping of snow and willinglossop roasting chestnuts and a pig on an open fire.

Let's see how accurate it turns out to be:D:rofl:

Your never mentioned when.... It's just i need to know because one needs to do a little forward planning for an 8 berth tent to be pitched in a certain persons back yard :whistling:

Ray Mears style :cold:

Then again 6 foot!!! ......stilts will be required :D Pig roastings on a open fire...now that's the dogs :wink:  

Currently temps here are at -3, didn't expect it to be that cold to be honest and yes back to double digits come the weekend.

But there maybe signs :cold: not saying too much ATM.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
2 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Your never mentioned when.... It's just i need to know because one needs to do a little forward planning for an 8 berth tent to be pitched in a certain persons back yard :whistling:

Ray Mears style :cold:

Then again 6 foot!!! ......stilts will be required :D Pig roastings on a open fire...now that's the dogs :wink:  

Currently temps here are at -3, didn't expect it to be that cold to be honest and yes back to double digits come the weekend.

But there maybe signs :cold: not saying too much ATM.

Hahaha! Ummm, I will reveal the date in a week or 2 :p 

I fancy a nice couple of ciders and a hog roast around willinglossop's house when the next cold spell is due. It'll probably be the only place that will see snow! 

It is absolutely FREEZING out there tonight. Caught the train home from work, cycled from the station and no word of a lie, it was hurting my chest to breathe in! Xcweather reckons that it's -3 near my location and i'm not at all surprised. If anything, it feels even colder than that. Frost has stayed in shaded areas all day and it has looked very wintry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A beautiful sunny day again from beginning to end. :D Again, another imagine 'if it was only early spring' with some early warmth. Still, it is fast approaching us now. :)

Looking forward to experiencing some extreme cold in Scandinavia in February and hopefully enough to snow to fill my boots (literally) for a lifetime. :D Hope to see the northern lights though so would like it cold and clear! Will be venturing 200km into the Arctic circle into Swedish Lapland. :D

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

severe frost out there -2.7C, similar setup to new years eve 2014, with severe frost and crap tomorrow

Posted

-2.7c here early last night and it is not a severe frost,cloudy and raw today it`ll be currently 0.7c.

Yesterday a wall to wall sunny day and one of the coldest days this winter,but there was colder days last January,and one in feb 2015.