Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
34 minutes ago, Snowsie said:

Last year I remember watching a link on here for hours when a storm hit America. Has anyone got any links to live cams this year? I've been googling but can't find a good one! Sorry if this is off topic but I am in need of some snow watching and I don't think I will be doing any IMBY any time soon! 

Check out TVNweather. They have live streams from chasers out on the roads. I don't have a link but Google will find it :-) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I am actually jealous. Washington DC is able to get 60cm of snow, and here in the Midlands we fail to get even 1cm. Ridiculous weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, tom_f123 said:

Feeling mild out there in the sunshine today.

Upto 2ft of snow expected from this snowstorm in NE USA, and to think some of us didnt even manage 2cm last week. Makes you want to cry

Yes a noticeable mild feel today. Actually felt a little bit of oomph in the sun today. The first for a while of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, xSnow said:

I am actually jealous. Washington DC is able to get 60cm of snow, and here in the Midlands we fail to get even 1cm. Ridiculous weather!

Sadly at our latitude in winter we are tropical really!! Ok may be a bit extreme but often on par with the Mediterranean  except the far south/coasts which remain warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

The weekend doesn't actually look too bad here -- though this is only by comparison with December. It should be dry most of the time, and that seems to be the best we can hope for this winter. Then... well, I guess the Peak District contingent might just get a little wintriness late next week, but no chance for most of us. I wonder when the flood barriers will go back up here... :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

MOD makes me laugh... a certain member is so hell bent on slagging others off... so far up his own ass he seems to forget that in the last 3 winters not one of his outlandish projections have even come close to happening... i even seem to remember in 2013 he never gave March a chance either... yet he is picking bones out of everybody else and at the same time thinks he is some sort of weather god.... funny to watch such desperation over something that cannot be controlled or told what to do....makes me laugh.... any ways i still think we will be in for some action last 2 weeks of Feb and into March...i keep hearing that once Feb gets here its a waste of time getting cold and snow?? why is it a waste?....if we get enough deep cold we can get really good snow and laying snow last for long periods of time as well....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Down here in lowland Worcestershire, getting lasting snow after early March really does need a 2013-level event. Mind you, I would honestly be more than happy now with something like early April 2008: several inches overnight, looking beautiful in early morning, then melting quietly by the afternoon in warm spring sunshine. No murk, no flooding, and it was a Sunday too. Though I'd also be content with a bit more of the cold, frosty, sunny weather we had all too briefly last week. Or mild, dry, sunny weather. Or pretty much anything, really, apart from the deluge of rain we're going to get when the American storm gets itself over here in a few days' time.

• Like 1

Posted
On 1/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, xSnow said:

Even puts our Jan 2013 snowfall into perspective lol.  Still, has indeed been a poor winter so far.  Only a covering here last weekend.  Guess we can only hope Feb (even Mar) comes up with the goods.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Dull and exceptionally mild this morning with a temperature of 12.0C

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The second highest January max' on record ( since 1977) here today at 11.7c. The record is 12.2c on the 9th last year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 hours ago, bigsnow said:

MOD makes me laugh... a certain member is so hell bent on slagging others off... so far up his own ass he seems to forget that in the last 3 winters not one of his outlandish projections have even come close to happening... i even seem to remember in 2013 he never gave March a chance either... yet he is picking bones out of everybody else and at the same time thinks he is some sort of weather god.... funny to watch such desperation over something that cannot be controlled or told what to do....makes me laugh.... any ways i still think we will be in for some action last 2 weeks of Feb and into March...i keep hearing that once Feb gets here its a waste of time getting cold and snow?? why is it a waste?....if we get enough deep cold we can get really good snow and laying snow last for long periods of time as well....

Yes, Feb and March can produce good snow, good morning wake up, (just as good as a Dec fall) but I know definitely in my location that the higher angled sun shines on more surfaces and more areas, so snow in Feb and Mar does thaw in areas that wouldn't in Dec due to sun, still wouldn't say no to a Mar fall of course

may be different with you though

• Like 1

Posted

Exceptionally mild day. Even had the Window open last night! Was fine in a t shirt today too! :)

Posted

Mild last night, down to 9.1C (even that was at 8.30 this morning, 6pm to 6am max of 11.7C!).  Now overcast with drizzle in the air, 11.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Window open here to overnight.... in fact this winter the bedroom window has been open every night except for last week.. even then it was a close call. its overcast but bright here currently... wind picking up and looks like it could be a bit of a rough ride next 24/48 with lots of rain and some strong winds.. possible interest for Saturday for some mainly us at elevation but you never know some of us may get a surprise....

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah,  some way off but Sat does look interesting, even at low levels.  Looks like a cold day with widespread wintry showers across the region on current outputs. Funny if it came off - had snow the weekend before last, then tropical feeling weekend just gone, and now possibly back to cold and a little snow for upcoming weekend.

Wind and rain to look forward to for now though.  Great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
9 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Yeah,  some way off but Sat does look interesting, even at low levels.  Looks like a cold day with widespread wintry showers across the region on current outputs. Funny if it came off - had snow the weekend before last, then tropical feeling weekend just gone, and now possibly back to cold and a little snow for upcoming weekend.

Wind and rain to look forward to for now though.  Great.

Give me that over Sunny, boring weather. At least it's active. I'd sooner it rained, hailed, had storms, snowed over a completely dry day. Very boring.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, with you there, Polar.  Was more thinking with it being middle of winter would rather snow over not-overly-strong winds and rain.  But yeah, past few days have been tedious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Give me that over Sunny, boring weather. At least it's active. I'd sooner it rained, hailed, had storms, snowed over a completely dry day. Very boring.

ya joking! have I read that right? you prefer wind and rain over dry/sunny? how can anyone, unless you are a duck

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ya joking! have I read that right? you prefer wind and rain over dry/sunny? how can anyone, unless you are a duck

I don't mind the odd sunny day, but I'm a follower of extreme or 'active' weather. Not days of endless blues skies..there's nothing enjoyable or 'addicting' about following those. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it being sunny for a day or 2 here and there. Perfect conditions are a few hours of sun interspersed with squally, thundery showers - that's if it's not snowing. I sincerely hope this summer is way below CET and offers showers/storms most days. Evenings can be fine, especially weekend ones - that way a beer in the garden works out nicely!

Posted
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

suppose if you are indoors every minute every second it's fine

Not a fan of wind, but rain is fine. I walk to and from work 4 days a week, take an umbrella with you and it's fine. 

What do we get interest wise, out of blue skies from 8am to 6pm? Sure, you can have a walk, cut the grass, not need a coat when your out etc - but what does it offer you at this time of year to keep you wanting to login into NW? Naff all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

but sunshine becoming as rare as snow, HP in 'winter' a novelty nowadays

I'm that starved, thinking of buying one one these;

Capture.thumb.PNG.eb9a58a3deee90062f3d70

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1