Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Remember some time in mid 1990s living in the isle of man, forecast was for snow in nw england but not iom,  next day was off school ill, rained heavily early morning, by 10am turned sleety, by 11am heavy snow, by 6pm, had 10 inches of snow..... Next day made a 9ft snowman........ Can but hope.....ps we had snow drifts over the hedges and the road up the hill.....

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

i remember i think it was 1996 probably feb.... that the bbc had been banging on about a weather front moving across the UK giving snow for many including the South East as i used to live there... i spent all day watching the weather forecast on BBC and even the 4:45pm one had snow for everybody by the end of the night.... well we got nothing not a single flake....as the front stalled out over central UK and everywhere east of London got nothing but family in West Midlands got buried and i remember watching the news reports the next morning.... i could not believe how the BBC had got it so wrong at such short time scale i was gutted so so so gutted...

Posted

Looking back on http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather/bonacina.html

lookslike was Feb 1996..... Was unexpected and really made me think marginal situations can deliver some surprises...

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Up in Kiruna, Lapland currently. About 2-4 feet of snow here!!! Glorious! And seen the northern lights tonight too. Best day ever. :D

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

Well i've worked out that my location is 145m ASL, which is something i've wanted to know for a while, so thanks for that. I don't know whether that's high enough to to do me much good in this weeks marginal setup though?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A lovely Orange sunrise this morning with a hard frost leaving everything white over, A low of -5.1c

Currently; Dry and clear.

Temp -1.6c

Dp -2.6c

WC -3.9c

Wind West Avg 4mph

Rain 0.0mm

Morning 

based on what I put in the model thread last night I think the snowline will be around 3-400M tomorrow when the front arrives

lowering to around 200M around 6 & lowering further overnight

PPN intensity will be the key !

S

• Like 6

Posted

Just read updated yorkshire dales forecast, says rain and snow clearing westwards on wednesday afternoon??

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

I am travelling to York early on Thursday and as much as I love the snow I am starting to get nervous as I hate driving in it. Will be watching the forecast VERY closely! 

Edit 

Even more  nervous after seeing the BBC online forecast of heavy snow 8pm Wed till 2 am Thursday!

Edited by Snowsie

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowsie said:

I am travelling to York early on Thursday and as much as I love the snow I am starting to get nervous as I hate driving in it. Will be watching the forecast VERY closely! 

Leave now stay in the Peaks for the day tomorrow have some fun then your already closer to York for Thursday....

• Like 2

Posted

Must see one today even if its only for higher ground at this time.. i guess they need to be very careful tho of how they word things so as not to panic the people..

• Like 1

Posted

The temperature dropped to a distinctly chilly -4.9°C here last night.

Currently 0.4°C with glorious blue skies, a beautiful winters morning.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

Sadly aside the usual suspects eg Peak District I forsee this being mostly a rain event for the Midlands. Their maybe periods of Wet Snow for some but nothing major which is quite sad given the potential this event did have. However this is very similar to what happened on Boxing Day in Nottingham a couple of years ago when a forecast rain event on the day suddenly turned into several hours of heavy snow causing chaos so a pleasant surprise could be in store for some

Posted

Remember that well (Boxing Day '14).  Driving out in heavy snow which settled and accumulated despite a wet start.  

Am a little optimistic re. tomorrow evening and into Thurs. Obviously will mostly be rain at low levels through the day, but looks likely to be a relatively brief period of pot. heavy snow after which might bring some temporary accumulations here.  

A consolation prize for such a poor winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Met and BBC have me down for rain, sleet, then turning to heavy snow by 18.00, we shall see but nice upgrade 

• Like 1

Posted

My BBC forecast has changed 3 times since 6am this morning.... ive gone from all snow heavy all day to hours of sleet and light snow over night to now a few hours of sleet and then heavy snow for 4 hours followed by light snow then heavy then light..... i think i might just see whats falling out the sky when tomorrow comes.....

Posted
On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Lukey said:
51 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

My BBC forecast has changed 3 times since 6am this morning.... ive gone from all snow heavy all day to hours of sleet and light snow over night to now a few hours of sleet and then heavy snow for 4 hours followed by light snow then heavy then light..... i think i might just see whats falling out the sky when tomorrow comes.....

I dont think you have to worry, watever falls there will be snow. I think between 10cm to 15cm will fall there.

• Like 1

Posted

Just nicked this from our friends in the SW Warning issued for pretty much the whole of the Midlands.:cold:

Screenshot_2016-02-16-11-33-00.png.9c1a578a317c99739612bcd538aa3a2a.png

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 3

Posted

Im rather excited for tomorrow.... cant wait... feel like a kid waiting for Santa to come on xmas eve...lol

Posted

Excited but again will have to see..... If the expectancy is for 5-10cm later for more southern areas might get an amber warning but cant see it myself.... Unless the south east is afftected then 1cm will cause chaos dawn sarf....

i think peak district could do quite well.....  Uncertainty causing the excitement for me.... 

Ps there is a discrepency between warnings, one tonight until ten am then a gap of ten hours until the next warning..... Snow inbetween? Another warning to be issued? 

Weather on news 24 at 1256 had snow over me from midday through 10pm?  Inbetween warnings? 

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Taking a look back at peak district forecast its text says rain turning increasingly to sleet and snow through the afternoon, inbetwwen the met office weather warnings??

Posted

its a crazy situation for sure, dont think i can remember anything like it in the past....for some its going to be a happy day tomorrow and some will be disapointed by it all... some will also get the odd surprise as well..