Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I will do anything i can to improve the chances.... ive already told the wife that when the kids are old enough to bugger off we are moving to Wanlockhead in Scotland... it snows there pretty much all winter.... and just to be sure ive guaranteed my self a white xmas 2016... we are spending it in Lapland... but knowing my luck it will be the coldest xmas in the UK for 50 years....lol

Posted
3 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

I will do anything i can to improve the chances.... ive already told the wife that when the kids are old enough to bugger off we are moving to Wanlockhead in Scotland... it snows there pretty much all winter.... and just to be sure ive guaranteed my self a white xmas 2016... we are spending it in Lapland... but knowing my luck it will be the coldest xmas in the UK for 50 years....lol

Quote thing being a PEST! gosh good luck with that, just checked it 402m asl in the north! snowiest member on the forum!

• Like 2

Posted

Ive always wondered theres a hill above me thats 550m asl could i get a small bit of land up there to get holiday lets.... But youd be tredding with sheep, cows, wind and clay pigeon shooting on sundays but.... Elevation etc.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Quote thing being a PEST! gosh good luck with that, just checked it 402m asl in the north! snowiest member on the forum!

Ha Ha yes its defo the place to go if its snow in winter your after... they were getting buried up there even in December when the rest of us had the BBQ's out... i told the wife that Lapland is for the kids to see Santa but is it heck its for me to get a mega snow fix and see what the real deal is all about...

Posted
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Ive always wondered theres a hill above me thats 550m asl could i get a small bit of land up there to get holiday lets.... But youd be tredding with sheep, cows, wind and clay pigeon shooting on sundays but.... Elevation etc.....

Sod the holiday let i would be building me sen a little house on top of that hill....

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

Sod the holiday let i would be building me sen a little house on top of that hill....

Flash is around 468m, not as far north though, have to build a house 100m tall

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Flash is around 468m, not as far north though, have to build a house 100m tall

the BBC has Flash getting mostly sleet with back edge snow late in the evening....Wanlockhead is blizzards all night tonight and most of tomorrow...

Posted

There is quite a bit of land going around here..... Dont know about building permission...... Auctions are bringing up a few lots atm..... Not suprisingly a lot of peeps down south are buying up here atm.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
22 hours ago, bigsnow said:

i remember i think it was 1996 probably feb.... that the bbc had been banging on about a weather front moving across the UK giving snow for many including the South East as i used to live there... i spent all day watching the weather forecast on BBC and even the 4:45pm one had snow for everybody by the end of the night.... well we got nothing not a single flake....as the front stalled out over central UK and everywhere east of London got nothing but family in West Midlands got buried and i remember watching the news reports the next morning.... i could not believe how the BBC had got it so wrong at such short time scale i was gutted so so so gutted...

Remember this well and I'm still getting over it..........

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

the BBC has Flash getting mostly sleet with back edge snow late in the evening....Wanlockhead is blizzards all night tonight and most of tomorrow...

would think underestimating it, Flash my thoughts, pure rain to start, (uppers above 0) but turning quickly to snow, maybe 10 hours of snow leading to 4-5 inches

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

There is quite a bit of land going around here..... Dont know about building permission...... Auctions are bringing up a few lots atm..... Not suprisingly a lot of peeps down south are buying up here atm.....

Snow hunters....lol new series on Discovery... snow starved southerners buy land in hunt for snow....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

very similar thing happened to me on 12th march 2006, was promised a dumping but got nothing, Shrewsbury had a snowfest, only had tv then though

• Like 1

Posted

Theyve knocked down a couple of mills up here recently so lots of reclaimed millstone around for new builds atm....going cheap from what i know.......

Anyhows its 4c dew 1c hail/ ice still falling but more icy snizzle...... Ground not wet yet.....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Still hurts even to this day....never trusted the bbc weather since and never will lol.... it felt like grief for the snow we were meant to have but never got lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

I think it was a classic case of underestimating the strength of the blocking to the East.

By the way hello everyone, I thought I'd pop in here across from the East Anglia thread as I'm working 12 hr nights in Wellingborough this week and will hopefully be sharing a snow filled evening with you guys!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

I think it was a classic case of underestimating the strength of the blocking to the East.

By the way hello everyone, I thought I'd pop in here across from the East Anglia thread as I'm working 12 hr nights in Wellingborough this week and will hopefully be sharing a snow filled evening with you guys!

I know things can still change but in Northants looked like at one point we would get about 12 hrs of snow. Looks like most 4 or 5 hrs now most of time sleet 

Posted

Properties not cheap in the moorlands , had a cheeky look , 

do the moorlands get a lot more snow in winter than us relatively low land folks ? 

As others have mused , surely the west mids plateau at around 500 ft should be ample height for snow , has the climate now dictated and taken away this advantage ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

intresting post from Fergie just shows they are still uncertain exactly where will get snow, quote from Fergie underneath

I'd suggest quite the opposite: the parallel suite Euro4 and UKMO-GM both now generate little snow of note, so it all currently looks a bit less worrying. It's important to note that EC (which in the 00z run offered 5+cm of falling snow e.g. Wilts) has a known tendency to over-generate solid PPN and is thus considered unreliable re amounts being progged. So as it stands, unless there's a major shift back towards the more threatening outcome(s) we saw in some suites earlier today, I'd suspect the snow 'issue' will be gradually toned-down - at least somewhat - in public forecasts. That said, there remains around a 60-90 miles potential error margin E-W in areas that could yet see snow into central-southern England (encompassing from E Wales to E Anglia, and south-south east of those zones). Either way, this set-up will prove a tricky customer up to the wire.

Posted

very strange.... sleety mix here now but im 100% sure a few flakes in it as well....its light and only viewable via my back garden spot lights... who needs a lamp post eh??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Over the years I've seen things change very quickly even suddenly>>>>1991:D

How i would love to see at 3pm tomorrow rain to a snow event, (10HRS WOULD BE JUST :hi:)

But now i can't see much more than a wet mix at best for us lower level folk.

Lets just hope and not expect...You know it makes sense :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
14 minutes ago, bigsnow said:

very strange.... sleety mix here now but im 100% sure a few flakes in it as well....its light and only viewable via my back garden spot lights... who needs a lamp post eh??

Good signs Big snow as it was meant to start as rain. :clap:

• Like 1

Posted

I also had a short hail/sleet shower here about half an hour ago. Still keeping my feet on the ground as far as tomorrow night and Thursday is concerned. Still even if we don't get anything I'm still cautiously optimistic for getting snow before April with signs of the end of this month and March looking encouraging. After this Winter as far as I'm concerned Spring can wait.

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Good signs Big snow as it was meant to start as rain. :clap:

we will all be buried before the end of March i can see it coming..... i really do think this winter will have a nasty sting in its tail

• Like 3