Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I got a feeling your safe Andy mate.... you can put ya pants back.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, andy_leics22 said:

So did Northampton get a CM of snow or am I safe from having to run through Oxford in just my pants?

We got nothing you are safe. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Haha!! Pheww! I think the meto ended up with egg on faces this morning. They may not have forecast much in the way of snow for the Midlands but they did forecast a couple of cm's for the South East in the early hours of this morning and they've had nothing but rain!

Posted

According to the BBC i have a snow shower coming at 6pm tonight.... yesterday was a total bust up and down the country i really dont see how the pro's can get it so wrong at such a short time scale of just a few hours...

Posted

Global warming almost certainly has something to do with it as I certainly buy into the milder wetter winters although not too sure about the drier hotter summers, still waiting on the latter LOL 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
34 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Crystal blue skies here  lovely morning after a frost  anyone up for chasing a flake on sunday monday?    thought not

How's it looking is there still a risk for Sunday, did anyone in the UK get any snow 

Posted

Don't care for the rest of this winter now. Been doing this for 3 winters for nothing and I really can't be bothered now. Can do what it likes on Sunday....I don't care.

However, what I do care about s the arrival of Spring and the start of hopefully some very changeable and exciting weather! Some great cloudscapes to boot!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bigsnow said:

According to the BBC i have a snow shower coming at 6pm tonight.... yesterday was a total bust up and down the country i really dont see how the pro's can get it so wrong at such a short time scale of just a few hours...

What I don't understand is, the GFS did forecast that it would be a mainly rain affair with a bit of sleet thrown in at higher levels which was pretty accurate. It amazes me how amateur forecasters on here can predict the Weather better than the BBC and MET seem to at times. Might sound like a ridiculous comment but i've lost count of how many times we've got it right on here and the BBC and MET have got it wrong in scenario's similar to last night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
23 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

What I don't understand is, the GFS did forecast that it would be a mainly rain affair with a bit of sleet thrown in at higher levels which was pretty accurate. It amazes me how amateur forecasters on here can predict the Weather better than the BBC and MET seem to at times. Might sound like a ridiculous comment but i've lost count of how many times we've got it right on here and the BBC and MET have got it wrong in scenario's similar to last night.

Me and colleagues were certainly scratching heads at that forecast. No idea where they plucked those warnings from. The ECM had positive dew points everywhere all night, as did the Met Office's own model the Euro4! The air was far too moist for evaporative cooling...I just do not know what the Met Office were thinking, it never even looked close. I know we often say 2-5cm warnings are a kiss of death, but it was already dead anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, snowangel32 said:

How's it looking is there still a risk for Sunday, did anyone in the UK get any snow 

Back edgae snow still there  but very marginal  patchy  and well   meh    

90-574UK.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
20 minutes ago, weirpig said:

with regard to the meto  maybe its aa case of to many model outputs?  they perhaps have so much at their disposal   model overload?

Other than the super hi-res UKV they don't really have that much more model output. The myth that the Met Office have a huge array of extra model data is just a myth. Maybe this did show some potential, but it must have been on its own and I can't imagine it being hugely different to the Euro4.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Me and colleagues were certainly scratching heads at that forecast. No idea where they plucked those warnings from. The ECM had positive dew points everywhere all night, as did the Met Office's own model the Euro4! The air was far too moist for evaporative cooling...I just do not know what the Met Office were thinking, it never even looked close. I know we often say 2-5cm warnings are a kiss of death, but it was already dead anyway.

Exactly! In fact, it wasn't even born!:rofl:

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

gone very dark outside and some very grey cloud coming over head... could this be the light snow showers i was forecast for this evening... anybody else seen any showers??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

No sign of showers here.

Variable cloud, with the temperature currently at -0.3C. Although it did drop to -1.0C earlier.

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A clear start with a ground frost but cloud had gathered, A cool day with a max so far of 5.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On 17/02/2016 at 6:58 PM, Dancerwithwings said:

A few on here know i love a good ramp but this was never happening,

-8 uppers and lower you can't go wrong...Emmmm this winter...let me think,,,,Nah!

Looking at the 12z ECM this evening (above) this may be the case :D interesting viewing over the next few days, lets hope for some cross agreement between the models....

All aboard folks :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Looking at the 12z ECM this evening (above) this may be the case :D interesting viewing over the next few days, lets hope for some cross agreement between the models....

All aboard folks :D

wait until it comes within 1 day, and goes tits up

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

wait until it comes within 1 day, and goes tits up

There you go.....Full of positives :doh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some posts and replies to posts have been removed..........please use this thread to discuss the weather and weather related material for the midlands region. 

Posted

Where has my post gone...I was asking bigsnow to keep the fight regarding cold & snow....Now't to do with Mod Thread ???????

• Like 1