Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

There is some very localised amounts here in Stoke. It was virtually snow free along the M6 until J15 with some on the verges but it takes until the top end of Stoke to get the larger amounts as you head towards Leek.

Must have been about 3cm at least and in the fields its deeper. At 7am it was slushy out but the temp must have dropped as the sun rose as it is now freezing over which will cause a few issues as the roads seemed abnormally busy for early on Saturday; it seems everyone was leaving to go places early.

Just been out in the fields with the dog and the windchill is pretty bad, we were out for 45 minutes and that was enough. I just can't believe how quickly this cold air came in as earlier in the week it was so mild. More impressive is the depth of the snow for November; I've seen early falls before but this is the deepest since I moved here in 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Looking at the charts for next weekend chance of a reload and the PV is under attack so interesting times again. But still a long way off so anything can happen. Excellent start last nite for many Midlanders. I have a feeling this Winter will be one to remember guys.

Edited by snowangel32

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Bitter here, But some lovely clear blue sky's.

Temp 1c

WC -1.7c

Dp -2c

• Like 1

Posted

From the early hours.

12241291_1730476170513622_45298205282349

• Like 5

Posted

A waste of time here shock horror, had a 5 minute flurry yesterday evening then nothing since, new year same Shropshire curse.

And to top it off anything tonight will be of rain as the usual last minute 'warm sector' rears its ugly head.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi guys,

Didn't play golf (Opposition cried off with illness, so through to the next round!!)..

No more snow around here then after 5:30 and the wind has dropped a bit compared to then but still blowing at about 20mph.

With a strong wind chill.

After being at temp of 3.4C earlier and RH 55%  the dew point was at -2C the windchill was -1.1C, when I went out to play at 09:00.

The  temp is now at 3.0C and dewpoint of -4.0C with the RH at just 43%!! Shows how the cold air has now cut in and I see the temp has dropped further north in the Peak district (ice formation)..

That explains the brilliant blue sky and superb visibility. Tonight should be good for starwatchers as the Arctic blast is pushed south.

Also of note is that the wind has gone around to the NE, although it does seem to be veering a bit  again now..

This indicates a trough development down the North sea overnight which is now  SE of us.  Last night I pointed out the wind still, was in the west, more so than expected.This is good to see for this early in the season. It also puts low pressure to the SE where we need it to be later on in winter. 

All in all a very good 24 hours for laying down the rules for the coming season! We all know the weather makes up its own rules!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :D i

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Glad you all seen some action early this morning :)  MIA wish i'd listened to my own advice.....ERRRRR!!! Forgot to set alarm ....WHOOPS :D

Edit, NEXT

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Woke up about 4:30 am and it was snowing heavily with big thick flakes which you could see without any light source. Despite this it refused to settle and the only sign of it now is a few dots on next doors car. Bit annoying but at least it's only late November so maybe next time. Any chance of some more over the weekend?

I heard that's what I had here, but virtually no snow left after the fall late last night, was 2.0C at 6am though, so thawed around then

• Like 1

Posted

Well that snow event felt identical to each one we had last winter. A bit of settling snow followed by rain and drizzle to wash it away. I know sypnotically is was different but simply from onlooking it was the same.

But..unlike the frustration of last winter...I'm quite happy as I wasn't expecting settling snow at all and more importantly...it happened in November. Was 2010 the last time it snowed in November here? Can't recall it since.

So a good start, as long as each snowy event doesn't go the same way through the winter!

(In fact, last night was a good as anything we were warned against during the depths of last winter.)

• Like 1

Posted

Well that snow event felt identical to each one we had last winter. A bit of settling snow followed by rain and drizzle to wash it away. I know sypnotically is was different but simply from onlooking it was the same.

But..unlike the frustration of last winter...I'm quite happy as I wasn't expecting settling snow at all and more importantly...it happened in November. Was 2010 the last time it snowed in November here? Can't recall it since.

So a good start, as long as each snowy event doesn't go the same way through the winter!

(In fact, last night was a good as anything we were warned against during the depths of last winter.)

was similar to late Jan yes,

Posted

Very similar to last winters couple of events when it snowed briefly

and settled and then washed away by rain/ drizzle and mild sector.

Hope this wont be a familiar pattern all winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wind never arrived...

It did here! A noticeable amount of new branches broken on the floor in the local woodland today. More than the other day in fact!

Posted

Just had a snow shower,all the interesting weather is coming at night lately.

Felt very cold today a shock to the system after all the warmth/unseasonable mild we`ve had lately.

3.1c max and the strong wind has dropped.

Odd bits of snow left.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Very icy out on the paths and minor roads this evening. 5.5cm of snow remaining, 95% cover.

• Like 1

Posted

-2.3°C now, still expecting rain in the morning 7-9am ish

Always the pessimist. Still at least you can't be too disappointed if it does rain being as that's all you expect and if it does snow I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll keep hopes up for both of us then. Not that I have any reason to, being as I don't have a clue but I refuse to let myself go all negative. Still whatever happens tomorrow lets just remind ourselves that it's only November (still Autumn) and that we've still got the whole Winter ahead of us, with the guys and gals on the MO thread starting to talk positively about the Winter ahead at least.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW

Posted

Always the pessimist. Still at least you can't be too disappointed if it does rain being as that's all you expect and if it does snow I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll keep hopes up for both of us then. Not that I have any reason to, being as I don't have a clue but I refuse to let myself go all negative. Still whatever happens tomorrow lets just remind ourselves that it's only November (still Autumn) and that we've still got the whole Winter ahead of us, with the guys and gals on the MO thread starting to talk positively about the Winter ahead at least.

realist more like, rain for all low levels tonight

Posted

realist more like, rain for all low levels tonight

Well perhaps so. You sure though? Not that I'm saying your wrong, just wondering whether that's what has been defiantly forecast?

Posted

Well perhaps so. You sure though? Not that I'm saying your wrong, just wondering whether that's what has been defiantly forecast?

well, bbc forecasting just dry, but setup doesn't seem to support low level snow, also seen a post in the NW thread about milder uppers moving down from the north when ppn hits

• Like 1

Posted

well, bbc forecasting just dry, but setup doesn't seem to support low level snow, also seen a post in the NW thread about milder uppers moving down from the north when ppn hits

Typical. In fact I'd rather it stayed dry rather than rain. We'll see though.