Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes I had a decent dumping in Birmingham, about 5 inches followed by a severe overnight frost, 87 was my biggest March dumping ever though, it was the weekend of the Zebrugge ferry disaster, 5th-6th March, It must of been upwards of 8 inches, possibly 10.

I remember that one. Infact there was a frontal snowfall event, on the Tuesday or Wednesday before. Remember playing in the snow before going to school that morning. There was snow on the Saturday morning then a drier interlude followed by more snow in the afternoon. Took a while to stick but it did and was building a snowman as it was getting darker. It was still snowing when I went to bed.  Almost 29 years ago, where has the time gone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I remember that one. Infact there was a frontal snowfall event, on the Tuesday or Wednesday before. Remember playing in the snow before going to school that morning. There was snow on the Saturday morning then a drier interlude followed by more snow in the afternoon. Took a while to stick but it did and was building a snowman as it was getting darker. It was still snowing when I went to bed.  Almost 29 years ago, where has the time gone?

Nothing down in the West midlands on the Tuesday or Wednesday, but remember it was wet, must have been too marginal, I did get a few very wet flakes at some point during the run up to that - May have been Thurday afternoon, didn't get the day off school on the Monday after the dumping so bad memories at the time, I just remember that was what I was always chasing and nearly every year in the 80s, the weather obliged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
23 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

This was 10 years ago. Saturday 4th March 2006

000_0084_001.jpg

i remember that one, me and my new g/f and my youngest son went to a metal detecting rally in north norfolk for the weekend, intending to camp out .... after a bitter day detecting in snow showers we came home! too bloody cold! funny thing is, i was on here watching that wretched freezing spell evolve and ruin the weekend.

Posted
2 hours ago, weather09 said:

Is indeed a pleasant day today. Plenty of sunshine. Also nice to see increasing land insolation being reflected in recent convective/instability outputs toward back end of recent GFS runs with the (required) aid of deep trough/cold air aloft sinking south over UK.  ECM would be showing the same.  Hope to see a bit more of this over coming weeks to bring about thunder, hail, and good cloudscape opportunities. 

Yes hope so.March into April about Six years ago(off the top of my head)saw the above happen in a northerly.Some beefy wintry showers and cloudscapes were cool.

Posted

I used to be an optimistic person but I think this years model watching has finally put paid to that :D. I can't see anything of note in terms of snow appearing  - watching the cold NW'ly 850's gradually fade out (along with my hopes) as the time ticks down to 0hrs has been the visual story of this Winter.

In reality, we have had worse winters here - one magical night and following day of snow in Jan along with a light dusting earlier this month beats 13/14 for a start. I don't know why though but this Winter's model watching has been exhausting; a fruitless chasing of hope. Perhaps it's my age...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Lovely day

3.39 those 2 planes, see them here sometimes, 2 together either going east or west, don't appear on flight tracker, wonder what they are, military training?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

shame this setup not possible in Dec, due to raging zonality, but if it was, would be miles colder, ice days, but the reason Feb is the coldest month due to less Atlantic influence

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I haven't yet taken my winter tyres of my subaru Forester,and certainly looking at the latest charts. I don't plan to . Living on the north east coast it gets bitter here and the open roads get blocked by drifting snow nearly every winter .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In South Tyneside I recorded lying snow at 0900 on each of the first five days of March 2001, when an 8cm snow cover halved to 4cm following two days of almost continuous sunshine.  I spent March 2006 in Leeds and the 3rd and 12th were both snowy there, 5cm total on the 12th.  

I'd have to say March 1995 was my favourite though, even though the snow never lay on the ground for long in South Tyneside, because of the high frequency of "convective days" with temperatures and visibility fluctuating sharply around the snow and hail showers, plus a couple of warm dry sunny spells thrown in.

In March 2013 I was in the Vale of York and narrowly missed out on the big frontal dumping that much of south and west Yorkshire had on the 22nd, instead having just an inch which quickly disappeared, mainly via sublimation in the dry easterly regime that followed.  However, the 11th had that mercurial sunshine-and-snow-showers scenario and a max of just 0.9C despite the sunshine.

In general I am not optimistic about snow prospects for the rest of this season because of the unusual warmth of our side of the Arctic (Svalbard and the Barents Sea) which tends to provide the majority of any snowy weather in March.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

oh well looks like we have a 'protracted spell of below average temperatures' according to Ian F and a few others over on the model thread - that will be because winter is just about to finish and then onto Spring and then Summer and I bet we don't get the silly mild anomalies we experienced in November/December until we approach winter again, any scope for colder winters ahead once the solar minima approaches in a few years time?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
44 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

oh well looks like we have a 'protracted spell of below average temperatures' according to Ian F and a few others over on the model thread - that will be because winter is just about to finish and then onto Spring and then Summer and I bet we don't get the silly mild anomalies we experienced in November/December until we approach winter again, any scope for colder winters ahead once the solar minima approaches in a few years time?

We'll be shivering in brisk westerly and Northwesterly winds come May, wondering what the hell we all did to jaffa cakes off the weather Gods.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

We'll be shivering in brisk westerly and Northwesterly winds come May, wondering what the hell we all did to jaffa cakes off the weather Gods.

Indeed. May 1996 style! :cold-emoji::rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I have never seen and felt things so springlike at this time of year! Ok temperatures aren't in the teens but the strength in the sun is really starting to feel noticeable now. Alex deakin emphasised this tonight. And with so many early daffodils and lots of trees here beginning to bud and the smell of freshly cut grass beginning to emerge, my spirits have really been lifted. Best 'cold' spell of the winter. More please. :).

• Like 2

Posted

Think the 18.7C in the west Midlands four years ago yesterday was pretty springlike for the time of year... :wink: Felt somewhat bizarre when outside then. 

But yes, lovely day today in the sunshine. And a nice starry sky outside tonight. 

Edited by weather09
  • Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Think the 18.7C in the west Midlands four years ago yesterday was pretty springlike for the time of year... :wink: Felt somewhat bizarre when outside then. 

But yes, lovely day today in the sunshine. And a nice starry sky outside tonight. 

Wow I can't remember that. Impressive! Saying that I can't remember that October heatwave a few years ago either. My mind is a sieve. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
1 hour ago, reef said:

Spring Discussion:

Really? Sounds over fussy, frankly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Great conditions for snow overnight, sub zero air temp, negative dew points, 850's around -7/-8c and a very light offshore wind.... Woke up it's overcast and the ground is wet! :( 

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Great conditions for snow overnight, sub zero air temp, negative dew points, 850's around -7/-8c and a very light offshore wind.... Woke up it's overcast and the ground is wet! :( 

If it was minus 90'c we'd still not be able to get snow this winter :-D

• Like 1

Posted

Nearly three years since there was a widespread snowfall and for some Southerners getting on for six years without a snowflake. 

Surely the islands at our latitude should be doing better than this.

• Like 3

Posted

Still look on the bright side. I was down at the lake yesterday on a terrific springlike morning and the Robins were singing away, the Great Tits cavorting and I even saw three Nuthatches. Fascinating to watch them nip up trees. And Sidney was very skittish at the thought of Spring.

56cd67538eb7d_Sid1.thumb.jpg.8c610820e57

• Like 4