Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted

ah well it appears the MOD thread is now regressing to the rather uninteresting - shame as has always kept me amused over the last few months. The last few winter diehards still on there remind me of the band still playing on the Titanic as it edged closer to its watery end

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

If we can't get a decent snow event then this current weather is my preferred type.

viewimage.thumb.png.2f77669fb3e0184967b656cdc7df86a9b_viewimage(1).thumb.png.8bc

Crisp clear Arctic air light breeze-a bit chilly out of the now warmer sun and sharp night frosts.Actually got the lawn mowed this morning and planted some Summer flowering bulbs.Lovely out there with the extra layer on.

• Like 2

Posted

Can you come and plant summer bulbs for me phil-no lawn?

Agree with you about the weather, crisp and cold starts but nice enough in the sun out of any breeze.

Looks like being quite a few days, in this area anyway, before any possible changes, could be 2 weeks?

See my oft posted links to anomaly charts.

• Like 1

Posted

That's that then for Winter, even the well forecast colder end to Winter is only cold rain rather than warm.  Three dreadful Winters in a row, surely the next one will be better?

See you in October.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

As much as I like wild and changeable weather, today was the perfect opposite and much needed, a long sit in the sunny garden painting a birthday card for my dear old Dad, listening to the sound of blackbirds and lawnmowers, (ours still had frost until late morning so I didn't consider mowing although it needs it), spent all day with a woolly hat on and a thick jumper but no coat, and then great excitement at seeing clear skies and the thermometer dropping like a stone again. I am very sad that a day like this is such a rarity, and am not looking forward to whatever kind of mush is round the corner, and I suppose hoping for proper winter is combining with memories of fantastic snowy winters of our youth to keep me cheerful. Here's a pic of our igloo that we made and slept in years ago, it was snug:

image.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
12 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Nearly three years since there was a widespread snowfall and for some Southerners getting on for six years without a snowflake. 

Surely the islands at our latitude should be doing better than this.

Hello, Not true at all, three years ago saw the Channel Islands buried in snow in March 2013, and if you look at the broader picture at that time snow and frigid temperatures affected the West Ie Wales and the North . The Cotswolds and Malverns  had deep difts of snow back then from early March to Early April. Many cattle and sheep farmers lost a lot of there livestock buried in deep snow and freezing temps over Wales and Northern England.....:cold:

Posted
19 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Hello, Not true at all, three years ago saw the Channel Islands buried in snow in March 2013, and if you look at the broader picture at that time snow and frigid temperatures affected the West Ie Wales and the North . The Cotswolds and Malverns  had deep difts of snow back then from early March to Early April. Many cattle and sheep farmers lost a lot of there livestock buried in deep snow and freezing temps over Wales and Northern England.....:cold:

Erm. That's why I said nearly three years ago in my post. 

2016-2013=3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yes, if I had posted on here in say April 2013, '3 mild snowless winters coming up for the south' everyone would have laughed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Erm. That's why I said nearly three years ago in my post. 

2016-2013=3

You did say six years for southerners:cold:

Posted

I see knockers posting back on the mod thread, so no cold weather in sight. I guess there's always next winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
13 hours ago, knocker said:

Still look on the bright side. I was down at the lake yesterday on a terrific springlike morning and the Robins were singing away, the Great Tits cavorting and I even saw three Nuthatches. Fascinating to watch them nip up trees. And Sidney was very skittish at the thought of Spring.

56cd67538eb7d_Sid1.thumb.jpg.8c610820e57

Aren't you a bit old to be admiring Tits,Knocker?

Camborne's finest?

Edited by cornish snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
21 hours ago, weather09 said:

Think the 18.7C in the west Midlands four years ago yesterday was pretty springlike for the time of year... :wink: Felt somewhat bizarre when outside then. 

But yes, lovely day today in the sunshine. And a nice starry sky outside tonight. 

I remember that! I just had a peep to see what I recorded that day.. 

download.thumb.png.e2d0fd8a828a0b919066a

An unusual month too, I recorded my lowest ever temp in the earlier part of it. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Heres a question and half folks ..... 

Back in feb 2013 a meteorite struck over cherblinsk in Russia which exploded in the atmospere high up releasing what is estimated as the same energy as a nuclear bomb...if not more......  

Thats an awful lot of energy resounding out wards and propogating downwards too... into the lower atmosphere... which surely must have messed up atmospheric teleconnections at the time and thrown model predictions into chaos .. surely the atmosphere would have been ringing like a bell as all this energy was absorbed into it and dissipating,  then came March 2013.. the coldest month in 50 years or so ( UK) .. following on the back of an SSW . or was the just coincidence ? 

Nasa have been releasing information about an asteriod that exploded over the southern atlantic on Feb 6th this year .. with just about the equivelent explosive power of a HIroshima bomb...     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3459057/Largest-fireball-Chelyabinsk-falls-Earth-Nasa-reports-huge-explosion-seven-meter-space-rock-Atlantic.html

3175B50500000578-0-image-a-1_14561719356

So , Even though this close impactor blew itself up on approach , and with all the energy released.. and even though it is in the southern hemispere, would this have a knock on effect regarding teleconnections and possibly a lag effect... say for instance the MJO ... into the northern hemispere .. now that is a question and half ? 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, cornish snow said:

Aren't you a bit old to be admiring Tits,Knocker?

Camborne's finest?

A very ageist comment if I may say so. It should also be remembered that the Great Tits referred are of the family Parus major which are completely different to the many Tits found on the Lizard. :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

A very ageist comment if I may say so. It should also be remembered that the Great Tits referred are of the family Parus major which are completely different to the many Tits found on the Lizard. :nonono:

No,you've got all the tits,we've just got birds of paradise.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
11 hours ago, ditch said:

I see knockers posting back on the mod thread, so no cold weather in sight. I guess there's always next winter.

theres plenty of cold weather in sight and knocker has reported it as such.

knocker doesnt control the weather you know, he only posts what the charts are showing.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
8 hours ago, bryan629 said:

Heres a question and half folks ..... 

Back in feb 2013 a meteorite struck over cherblinsk in Russia which exploded in the atmospere high up releasing what is estimated as the same energy as a nuclear bomb...if not more......  

Thats an awful lot of energy resounding out wards and propogating downwards too... into the lower atmosphere... which surely must have messed up atmospheric teleconnections at the time and thrown model predictions into chaos .. surely the atmosphere would have been ringing like a bell as all this energy was absorbed into it and dissipating,  then came March 2013.. the coldest month in 50 years or so ( UK) .. following on the back of an SSW . or was the just coincidence ? 

Nasa have been releasing information about an asteriod that exploded over the southern atlantic on Feb 6th this year .. with just about the equivelent explosive power of a HIroshima bomb...     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3459057/Largest-fireball-Chelyabinsk-falls-Earth-Nasa-reports-huge-explosion-seven-meter-space-rock-Atlantic.html

3175B50500000578-0-image-a-1_14561719356

So , Even though this close impactor blew itself up on approach , and with all the energy released.. and even though it is in the southern hemispere, would this have a knock on effect regarding teleconnections and possibly a lag effect... say for instance the MJO ... into the northern hemispere .. now that is a question and half ? 

This question has been sort of answered indirectly by the NOAA:

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

"A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20x1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes."

So you could estimate that the meteor effect is ~= 20 minutes of a single hurricane and therefore probably it made little difference?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I need proof of that. 

Not definitive proof I know, but I've been sticking pins in my @knocker voodoo doll all winter and it's not been working. Of course that could just mean that the strange Caribbean woman that sold it to me was having me on. I might even have to consider cancelling my order for chicken entrails and other sundry supplies.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Not definitive proof I know, but I've been sticking pins in my @knocker voodoo doll all winter and it's not been working. Of course that could just mean that the strange Caribbean woman that sold it to me was having me on. I might even have to consider cancelling my order for chicken entrails and other sundry supplies.

But the powers of Joan the Wad far exceed black magic and she's a frequent visitor to the woodshed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

I need proof of that. 

ok... lets just say for example that knocker only posts mild charts.... (he doesnt)

SO WHAT?.

• Like 1