Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Of course the ensembles can be helpful when they're not plucking a solution that looks totally against the background signals and theres a decent clustering around an outcome but still they're prone to some wild swings. Personally I'd shred all GFS operational runs past T240hrs and use them as cat litter! With 4 runs a day it gets lauded sometimes for picking up on the right solution when in fact all its done is throw 4 different solutions out and the odds eventually favour that it will be right eventually!

Anyway this counts now as two GFS moans from me so I'd better move on!lol

Totally agree with Op past 240, thought you were referring to all output.

The height rises signaled within ensembles (maybe just a few at first then half a dozen etc so strengthening signal) to our E were against all background signals at the time though and so were other signals for mid lat blocking. I just take a mental note of each chart and synoptic as I run through and if something different pops up and gets repeated by another ensemble or two I watch for it again in the next set and so on. I may comment after 2 or 3 runs suggest something - depending on how brave I feel.:laugh:

The best part is that if it all goes Tits up I just blame that useless GFS!

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

That sounds like very poor wording from Louise. 

Nope ...

She was definite about it, but I wonder if she was using yesterday's charts?

She even produced a chart to show the way the jet stream was expected to split at the end of the week, with most energy going south!!

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

12 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Hi guys,

Just been watching Louise Lear on News 24  for the week ahead forecast.

Very interesting   -  She is now going for strengthening heights over Scandy and the north Atlantic - by the end of the week(!), with low pressure systems gradually filling and moving south from Southern England.

The mention was of snow showers over Scotland by the end of the week and much colder air from Scandy.. 

Now where has that come from.?

Presumably one of the models seen and used  internally has flipped this evening.

Where is Steve M? He hasn't been seen today so could he have been somewhere in the Met Office?

Tonights runs may become more interesting, but I will leave them for the night shift as I need to catch up some sleep from last night!

Is this the Steve Murr switch?

:D:D

She's describing exactly what the models are showing over the next 5-7 days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
15 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Hi guys,

Just been watching Louise Lear on News 24  for the week ahead forecast.

Very interesting   -  She is now going for strengthening heights over Scandy and the north Atlantic - by the end of the week(!), with low pressure systems gradually filling and moving south from Southern England.

That's exactly what the models are showing, but it gets replaced very quickly to a more Atlantic dominated theme. Nothing new unfortunately. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Nope ...

What she is saying is what the charts are showing lows filling sink slowly south, cold air just in Scotland with a chance of snow if she done her forecast any further it would then say Atlantic taking over at the end.

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Patterns

Just watched the live weather on News 24, definitely mentioned cooler and drier conditions coming in from the East. :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Nope ...

She even produced a chart to show the way the jet stream was expected to split at the end of the week, with most energy going south!!

You could indeed be right about using old data. I have found that happens quite a lot with the meto. Hoped they had sorted that problem out by now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
2 minutes ago, Carlrg said:

Just watched the live weather on News 24, definitely mentioned cooler and drier conditions coming in from the East. :cc_confused:

No mention just on BBC 1 just rain,rain,rain. Brief respite on tuesday,more rain on wednesday.

Posted

Relatively speaking it will feel much colder. However I can't see some model flip in terms of an easterly, the Atlantic low approaching at T120hrs might give some snow more especially for the ne UK. Its conceivable that the cold could hang on a bit longer in the far north.

I think we're going to have to look to see whether we can get a displaced Azores high with troughing to the east/ne which would at least have some background MJO support.

Posted
30 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Of course the ensembles can be helpful when they're not plucking a solution that looks totally against the background signals and theres a decent clustering around an outcome but still they're prone to some wild swings. Personally I'd shred all GFS operational runs past T240hrs and use them as cat litter! With 4 runs a day it gets lauded sometimes for picking up on the right solution when in fact all its done is throw 4 different solutions out and the odds eventually favour that it will be right eventually!

Anyway this counts now as two GFS moans from me so I'd better move on!lol

I agree with Mucka on this one. I do not really pay much attention to the Op (count it as one of the ensembles). But looking at the 10-15 day ensembles it is often apparent that there are some tendencies appearing. I am not a fan of the mean at this range as this just normally shows the climatological average - i.e zonal westerlies. However when it shows something different to this then it is useful. In fact this is the case just now  - below is the mean at +384 showing a pronounced ridge in the vicinity of the BI. What this means to me is that there is likelihood of significant height rises in our area at this range. Now as this an average the exact position is completely undefined. Looking through the members there are UK highs, Scandi ridges and height rises to the NW. There are are of course zonal options also toning down this signal. The most common options over the last few runs (of those showing height rises)  are the UK high and the Scandi ridges rather than the Greenland high though. But any of these are possible. The main point is if these options were not being shown then we would know that nothing is likely in the next 15 days . So this is the main point in my view. If no meridional solutions are being shown then more zonal is highly likely. If we have some more blocked options then this is much more possible and we can start looking how this may develop and where it may or may not set up.

gens-21-1-384.thumb.png.0ed20d029a9cf52a

It seems to me if we do not use these then all we have is the Meto 30 dayer and some info from IF about the other models (Glosea EC32 etc). So I more I am more than happy to look at these as it is the best we have (not the OP in isolation though - comments on this are pointless).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

tod.gif.fefdc9f19eed157e85452de9a3c73c45Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

Perhaps a few colder options on this evenings set. around mid month. Nothing significant though.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Those heights over Scandinavia is there a minutest chance, the models may be removing heights too easily from this region? The timeframe is within 24 hours so a Christmas miracle and a half if there was a drastic change. 1044mb block should be quite sturdy - what's causing it to set sail rather quickly to the NE? 

image.thumb.png.8f241c6e09b92518807e4e6b

Edited by Daniel*
Spelling!

Posted

I would say GFS hasn't got a Scooby Doo after 96h at the moment given the changes run to run.

It develops and does something different with the Atlantic trough every run which can make quite big changes to the weather on the ground we experience, especially rainfall totals, wind strength and snow chances. All the GFS is saying is unsettled which we already know.

This time it develops the trough and anchors it in the Atlantic for a few days before finally pushing it East of the UK some 5 days later. That would be utter tedium and just bring wind and rain with no risk of snow to any low lying areas of England. It couldn't produce a worse 10 days of weather from these starting conditions for coldies and anyone sick of wind and rain if it tried. It needs a good kicking frankly :) (FI may be another matter though)

UKMO has been more consistent and it has the trough organised and just to the NW of Ireland

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

It is annoying the public just get thrown scraps of what they pay for by way of model output, pretty much just the bare bones. 

I would take a guess high ground would see snow along with some lower levels further North from that but I stand to be corrected on that.

Edit

And here is GFS FI, Atlantic ridge meets Arctic high?

gfsnh-0-276.png?0

We have chased our phantom Easterly, now anyone up for chasing a Northerly?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

The more or less stationary area of low pressure over and adjacent to the UK hangs around until the middle of next week before the mobile regime get's into gear once again with depressions winging along on the jet. The Thursday one takes the expected turn NE but even then could bring some very strong winds, possible 80kt gusts, to the NW of Scotland. The next arrives the beginning of next week slap bang over the UK but this is academic at the moment as this will obviously be revised in the next few days. Towards the end of the run signs that the HP to the SW becoming more influential. I only mention this because it's a theme that has cropped a few times recently so worth keeping an eye on as it would bring a welcome relief from the Atlantic battering.

Charts weatherbell and http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_23.thumb.png.f3dc5495gfs_uv200_atl_23.thumb.png.4b98a195bd6b8gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_37.thumb.png.2886d641gfs_uv200_atl_37.thumb.png.85cac48106027gfs_z500_mslp_atl_48.thumb.png.ecd05d041

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

As Knocker mentions above, we are bound to see a rather unsettled spell of weather the coming days. Looking at the ensemble forecasts, there seems to be an elevated chance on storms hitting southern parts of the UK and the Benelux starting from Thursday.

eps_pluim_fx_06260.thumb.png.f3cf0b74a7a

ECMWF ensemble wind gusts forecast [m/s] for De Bilt (NL) as of 12Z 01-01.

A number of members (including the operational) are hinting on wind gusts above 40 miles per hour in De BIlt, roughly in the center of the Netherlands. Note that the green lines all have relatively low resolution, so the true wind gusts in these ensemble members could be even higher. There remains a lot of spread, but a storm is very likely to occur between Thursday and Friday.

eps_pluim_dd_06260.thumb.png.2b54ae3df75

ECMWF ensemble wind direction forecast [m/s] for De Bilt (NL) as of 12Z 01-01.

Finally, also the southwesterlies are set to return, and with great consistency at the long term given the narrow bandwith in the ensembles. Mild seems to be the main theme, though not as mild as the record-shattering December has been.

Source:

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?type=eps_pluim

eps_pluim_fx_06260.png

• Like 4

Posted

Not surprisingly the ecm treats the low next week differently to the GFS. It has some very complex phasing of low pressures in the Atlantic which by 0600z Thursday has resolved into the main area of LP 500m west of the Hebrides 936mb with a shortwave developing SW of Ireland. By 12z this is a depression 962mb over Scotland with much rain and some significant and snowfalls on the high ground. The winds would be less of a problem with this scenario.

Posted

Its also worth noting that the overall pattern of transfering the deep low (vortex) initially over and then to the east of the UK is shown by both ECM and GFS, although painfully slow, with better heights over Greenland following on it does look like there is a real possibility of a decent northerly brewing for mid month..

Recm2401.thumb.gif.84a3fdfb9934b85fd0652Rtavn2401.thumb.gif.6c7d65c531d4397e8487Rtavn3001.thumb.gif.213e641a4f30d2fef274

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Mucka said:

Totally agree with Op past 240, thought you were referring to all output.

The height rises signaled within ensembles (maybe just a few at first then half a dozen etc so strengthening signal) to our E were against all background signals at the time though and so were other signals for mid lat blocking. I just take a mental note of each chart and synoptic as I run through and if something different pops up and gets repeated by another ensemble or two I watch for it again in the next set and so on. I may comment after 2 or 3 runs suggest something - depending on how brave I feel.:laugh:

The best part is that if it all goes Tits up I just blame that useless GFS!

the gfs is hinting of a possible change about jan  i2  -14  for a couple of days  i cant seen any longer term

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=222&mode=2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The models are showing an angry atlantic next week with plenty more wind and rain on the way along with milder conditions and I suspect more flooding for the same areas previously affected...:help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yup, looking at the main 3 this morning, if I was looking for a trend it certainly seems to me that we could be eyeing up a northerly around mid month. UKMO obviously doesn't go out far enough but you can see how it could get to a northerly Fromm its 144. 

UKMO

image.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The UK Atlantic quadrant is resolved in terms of long wave pattern for about 10 days, with from around D4 a piece of vortex slowly moving through to the North of our region. This has been rocks solid for over two days and am not expecting any changes. Not going to guess at this range how the upper air profile or the mesoscale detail to these shortwaves carried through by that vortex. Taking into account just the 0z and 12z runs, as my faith in the other GFS runs is low, then snow for the south has always been unlikely (5-10% at best):

GEFS 56877e66933bb_graphe3_1000_306_141___Lon   mean at D16: 56877f1b2431f_gensnh-21-1-384(5).thumb.p Clusters: weather_model_gfs_ensemble_-_europe_-_su

Very little sign of cold and if you ignore the OP run after D10, and you have to as it is a text book outlier (at the moment), then the guide from the mean is Greenland/NE Canada again becoming home for a core vortex chunk, with the UK the target for the Atlantic train, with a N/S split as to the worse of the rainfall. The signs from 24 hours ago of an Atlantic Ridge being a strong cluster have in the last two runs trended away from such a setup, as the above clusters show (at D15). Early days to make any sweeping statements on that development.

With the Atlantic wave as currently seen now confidently set to roll east/SE and the mean surface high to hang around Siberia/Russia that is no longer likely a driver for the UK after D5. The wave from the Pacific forcing is a ridge in the East Pacific and once that EPO block detaches from the ridge, where those residue heights/block meander to is what is causing the upstream uncertainty. I would normally expect them to migrate to aid the Russian block, but as you would expect at this range, the GEFS are very wishy washy about how this will play out:

Meteociel_-_Panel_GEFS.thumb.png.1dcc1f4  D10 variety ECM and GEM: 568783f179fa4_ECH1-240(3).thumb.png.dd41568783f330283_gemnh-0-240(3).thumb.png.b

ECM splits the wedge early sending it back into the Conus ( around D7 for a couple of runs now) with the rest sent to pump up the Siberian/Russian HP.^^^So expect lots of variability after D10 as to the NH profile re this wedge of heights. 

The MJO from most models are coming through with a quick run through phases 7 and 8 over the next ten days, the GFS which has been playing catch up is slower to push through. As you can see from the 2 week verification GFS is struggling with the current MJO signal:

GFS verification: operdyn_verif15D_small.thumb.gif.86dd37b   The ECM mean as a guide: ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.thumb.gif.ab3

It looks like a case of waiting for the models to settle down with respect to after the D10 period, and to see how the big picture unfolds as to the lag up to the strat, and hopefully the strat PV gets a well placed attack timed as its strength wains?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning, maybe this chart from ECM will lead to a snowy situation. A real good mix of Ac airmass out from Scandinavia and N Atlantic Pm with well below uppers  would produce the goods up North, but its always in the outer reaches of the model perimeter. Still we wait here in the Alps !

C

ECM1-240.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Eastern parts of Scotland look the most at risk of flooding in the short term some rain for the flood hit areas but not as bad as of late

114-777UK.GIF?02-0

Running on another few days and the totals rise quite so further flooding would be inevitable unfortunately

240-777UK.GIF?02-0

Scotland looks best placed to see any snow in the next 10 days maybe a dusting for the pennines at times but nothing of significance

186-780UK.GIF?02-0240-780UK.GIF?02-0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The chart KTtom posted above for the 14th looks very similar to how the ECM monthly control evolved but a few days later, so maybe the outer reaches of the GFS are also picking up on this potential northerly mid month... :) All very much in FI so lets hope it's a trend that sticks and not another false dawn! Looking at the GEFS they look a tad underwhelming and some signs longer term for height rises to the south once again, but all in FI and it really looks quite a mess.

Shorter term looking unsettled with wet & windy weather but cooler than of late with a risk of snow especially in the north and over higher ground.  

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2