Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The EC32 control run is just trickling out - i wonder if anyone would be kind enough to do the honours and give a running commentary on it, thanks in advance.

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Shaky from a Imby point of view me and you should be rooting for the gfs tonight gives the Midlands a significant snow event lol. :diablo:

I would love the gfs to be right snowangel  but the way the gfs as been performing I cant see it  national forecast goes for dry as does majority of other models

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'll try again, fax for 120

image.gif

That looks a nice chart, are thought black lines below the UK weather fronts that have moved through? I guess Afro night???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

image.gif

Nice fax chart there, troughs swinging south in an Arctic airflow with snow showers...Bank:drunk::cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Such as below provides forecasters serious headaches with such volatility. Dire IMBY moves you to tears, although large areas of the country are impacted.

Some back-edge snow for SE England.

:oops:

image.thumb.gif.d8ab23f162130a3f16e88de0image.thumb.gif.b0fe47f9d9b05a73995bcc1f

Edited by Earnest Easterly*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

That looks a nice chart, are thought black lines below the UK weather fronts that have moved through? I guess Afro night???

If you're referring to the plain lines at right angles to the isobars, those are upper troughs moving south in the flow.  I'd imagine they could give a dusting if conditions (dew points etc.) are OK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

image.gif

One thing that stands out from that is the positioning of the Azores low which looks further South than GFS has it for the same period though not easy to guage with the skewed fax charts. Why are they not orientated like the model output, surely that would make life easier?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

One thing that stands out from that is the positioning of the Azores low which looks further South than GFS has it for the same period though not easy to guage with the skewed fax charts. Why are they not orientated like the model output, surely that would make life easier?

I think they are so orientated as they are/were in my day, taken of the some chart layout as the senior man uses for drawing his charts?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, johnholmes said:

I think they are so orientated as they are/were in my day, taken of the some chart layout as the senior man uses for drawing his charts?

Yeah they have been like this since I can remember but I'm not sure why they still are in this day and age.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Yeah they have been like this since I can remember but I'm not sure why they still are in this day and age.

Perhaps one should realise they are produced for Exeter and other world weather centres. take a look at their output for civil aviation you may find some similarity in the orientation/shape/scale etc. We as the public are very small fry, however much that upsets, to their main money paying customers. NOT us although they are available for us. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

Perhaps one should realise they are produced for Exeter and other world weather centres. take a look at their output for civil aviation you may find some similarity in the orientation/shape/scale etc. We as the public are very small fry, however much that upsets, to their main money paying customers. NOT us although they are available for us. 

Yes -pity that except of course we paid for it in the first place.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Right but they wouldn't exist without us, we fund them, not asking too much for them to throw us a bones is it?

And why would UK centric customers not want UK orientated charts anyway? 

I don't understand the advantage over a UK centric orientated chart is what I'm saying.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
4 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes Frosty would keep the cold going into next week at least.

Worth comparing tonight's GFS at 114hrs with that and the UK raw chart at t120-all for same time .midday Saturday.

gfs-0-114.png?18UW120-21.GIF?11-17fax120s.gif?1

so to my old eyes it looks very much the fax follows the raw output from the uk 12z run.Note the Atlantic heights further north and the Canadian trough angled more se on the UK model.

Interesting.

Fingers crossed Phil, that fax chart is a good way to end the day for a coldie:)

• Like 2

Posted

to add only this I have tried to explain why it is done. Now why not e mail them instead of making a fuss in here?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Perhaps one should realise they are produced for Exeter and other world weather centres.

I hope it's OK to ask if you know why they never put the DAM lines on the 'Analysis' and T+24 fax charts?

• Like 2

Posted

The Met Office are siding with UKMO, if not a better solution for prolonging cold with a stronger ridge/block, heights also appearing to want to build in the direction of Scandinavia so a cold continental flow still seems viable to me. The ECM got me feeling a little dreary but now I'm much more intrigued. The sega continues. :) 

image.thumb.gif.9a6a3879b46fb434a5a88571image.thumb.gif.c4e2720ce63b41d491323b83

• Like 1

Posted

Haha

2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Making a fuss? It started as a perfectly simple and innocent question until you chirped in, anyway...

GFS ensembles are better than the 12z set but I think the two charts below say it all - these from just 108 hours!

gensnh-6-1-108.pnggensnh-11-1-108.png

Haha the GFS hasn't got a clue. It is like a broken clock that will still be right twice a day. Where is Steve Murs pic he had of the donkey, stick and carrot. 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Haha

Haha the GFS hasn't got a clue. It is like a broken clock that will still be right twice a day. Where is Steve Murs pic he had of the donkey, stick and carrot. 

Perhaps but are ECM ensembles any wiser? You can't get much more scatter than that.

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

DP's are still expected to be above 0 come Wednesday night for all of England, shows how much the cold air is struggling to get South.

Dew point EURO4 We 13.01.2016 18 GMT

GFS ensembles SE England 

Diagramme GEFS

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

The Met Office are siding with UKMO, if not a better solution for prolonging cold with a stronger ridge/block, heights also appearing to want to build in the direction of Scandinavia so a cold continental flow still seems viable to me. The ECM got me feeling a little dreary but now I'm much more intrigued. The sega continues. :) 

image.thumb.gif.9a6a3879b46fb434a5a88571image.thumb.gif.c4e2720ce63b41d491323b83

I have a question is human input that more accurate than the models??

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Perhaps but are ECM ensembles any wiser? You can't get much more scatter than that.

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

DP's are still expected to be above 0 come Wednesday night for all of England, shows how much the cold air is struggling to get South.

Dew point EURO4 We 13.01.2016 18 GMT

GFS ensembles SE England 

Diagramme GEFS

I would call that a heads or tails moment.  Two distinct scatters, one load going for the freezer, the other going for an Atlantic return.  Do you feel lucky punk, well do ya....

• Like 6