Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
45 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Latest AO update from Cohen is available. Forecasting extended -AO and -NAO for 3-4 weeks +SSW + _ve temp anomaly so looks good for cold - depends how much faith you have in this stuff. 

http://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation 

Looking at the ensembles even if we get a flat pattern later next week many of them re-amplify so I would expect something interesting to come in  down the line Best is P12 even though it is one the least promising at 120hrs

gensnh-12-1-120.thumb.png.0ef58d4f7596f5

gensnh-12-1-276.thumb.png.bca164b850919e

Edited by swilliam
  • Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, booferking said:

I have a question is human input that more accurate than the models??

The basic concept is the models are deterministic i.e. they follow a set of algorithms based on past conditions.  So there is a fair bit of back fitting with the models.  Given this they will take the current base conditions and project it forward according to the models parameters.  The ensembles are what we see when we tweak those starting conditions.

What the models lack is common sense.  The skill that at present can't be replaced by pure equation at the current point in time.  Experience and the luxury to be able to focus on a specific area with greater available info than we see.

What we are also seeing is a hugel El Nino coupled with warm water in the pacific and indian oceans.  This is not a normal situation and as such not one the models equations know the bounds of the reliable future even a few days in.

• Like 5

Posted

Seem to be more robust heights and WAA going north on th 00z as compared to 18z. Slowly coming around to the UKMO?

18z gfs  108hrs

gfsnh-0-108.png?18

00z gfs 102hrs

gfsnh-0-102.png?0

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Hope so but it seems to go one way and then the other.

Amazing how many mild sectors it finds as well, hopefully it is over complicating the trough and wrong on that too.

At least it gets enough cold air over us and enough energy sliding SE to give a snowy breakdown now.

gfsnh-0-144.png?0gfs-2-150.png?0

Stunning UKMO 144

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

One word, "undercut."

Edit

LOL snap Kumquat!

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Quite an obvious improvement within GFS ensembles by 96h so let's hope things are all going the same way now.

Just need GFS to keep improving and ECM to get on board.

We may never get things this far but this is what we should be aiming for.

gensnh-11-1-138.png

Short ensembles central England - big improvement.

Diagramme GEFS

SE England

Diagramme GEFS

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

GFS/UKMO/GEM

gfs-0-144.png?0      Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions     gem-0-144.png?00

It all pretty much comes down to how amplified we can get the pattern over the Atlantic and hence can we split the jet sufficiently to first undercut the ridge and secondly develop some low heights to our south. The UKMO looks good again this morning with an easterly following for a time. The other two are not good enough and conditions quickly turn milder from this point.

I won't give any favour to either solution apart from the most likely one will be the side the ECM takes this morning.

We need the UKMO to be right here to extend the cold or potentially very cold conditions well into next week.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted

Euro 4 still somewhat disappointing forecasting rain Wed night/thu morning

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 14.01.2016 00 GMT

DP's still above freezing for England

Dew point EURO4 Th 14.01.2016 00 GMT

• Like 3

Posted

Finally we have some agreement that it will still be cold till Atleast Sunday, if not Monday...GFS and now ECM falling more in line with the UKMO. Well done UKMO for sticking to your guns.

ECM at 120

image.png

image.pngUKMO

image.pngGFS.

UKMO still looks best to me, followed by the ECM

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted

Well the ECM has the Atlantic trying to get in and on our doorstep at T+120, but by T+168 it still hasn't made it.

Is that beyond FI - probably as things stand then yes. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

UKMO very cold this morning.

GFS and ECM both have frontal snowfall moving in off the Atlantic in the mid term via a disrupting trough.

Details academic really though, but as a general risk it is certainly a possible outcome. 

Edited by chris55

Posted
1 hour ago, Mucka said:

Euro 4 still somewhat disappointing forecasting rain Wed night/thu morning

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 14.01.2016 00 GMT

DP's still above freezing for England

Dew point EURO4 Th 14.01.2016 00 GMT

So basically rain with snow on northern hills, temps a bit colder in the week but mostly dry with probability of it turning milder at the end of the week

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Took it's time but the GFS now extends the cold by a few days into the start of next week! More in line with the ECM which takes slightly longer, by T144 the UKMO is the odd one out whilst the GFS & ECM are in general agreement on a return to W/SW winds as we move into next week along with GEM. Be awesome if the UKMO was correct but with GFS & ECM against it then I have my doubts, remember the other week with the failed easterly drama and the UKMO always looked best for a potential undercut and it was the last one to back down - If you want the cold to last then start praying for the UKMO

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Took it's time but the GFS now extends the cold by a few days into the start of next week! More in line with the ECM which takes slightly longer, by T144 the UKMO is the odd one out whilst the GFS & ECM are in general agreement on a return to W/SW winds as we move into next week along with GEM. Be awesome if the UKMO was correct but with GFS & ECM against it then I have my doubts, remember the other week with the failed easterly drama and the UKMO always looked best for a potential undercut and it was the last one to back down - If you want the cold to last then start praying for the UKMO

Yea but the GFS & ECM have only got back on the table to what ukmo has been showing for days is there not a chance they can upgrade run by run as it would be one hell of a flip to be the same at 144hr on one run?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
12 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Agreed. It would be some flip to turn this around and backed by the meto. 

Enjoy this week, then hope we see some changes towards the end of the month. More than happy to be wrong but it's odds against imo.

image.png

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

However cold the UKMO output looks, the BBC don't seem too hyped....only really mentioning some higher level snow with a few flakes at lower levels. Nothing about any substantial snow at lower levels......yet. ECM and GFS both keen for the SW gunk to start reappearing at day 8 onwards, hoping that they are a bit progressive and that things don't move quite as quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
3 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Agreed. It would be some flip to turn this around and backed by the meto. 

Enjoy this week, then hope we see some changes towards the end of the month. More than happy to be wrong but it's odds against imo.

image.png

image.png

Don't know how u can say it's odds against when even the modes are flip flopping all over the place even this week. 

• Like 1

Posted

It really is like the twilight zone. For years and years, the UKMO has been the party pooper. Always signalling that we wouldn't get a cold pattern at day 6, when GFS and ECM had been touting it. I just can't get my head around the fact that UKMO is ALWAYS the model showing the coldest outcome. 

This mornings 00z run is potentially the most interesting yet with a sustained undercut on the cards. 

We live in strange times indeed (or does the old fella need an upgrade?)

• Like 4

Posted
8 hours ago, The Enforcer said:

I hope it's OK to ask if you know why they never put the DAM lines on the 'Analysis' and T+24 fax charts?

sorry no I don't, that has always puzzled me

• Like 1