Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except average!

What's really cool about that 3d model is you can roll the globe around to see all aspects, well on android anyway not sure about PC. I guess some of you will already know that but new to me. Thanks for the link Cloud 10

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Greenland1080 said:

Cloud10 I'm reeling out the big guns,my secret weapon.....The CPTEC....

:D:cold:

image.png

No panic MAJOR support from 2 ensembles :D

gensnh-15-1-120.thumb.png.c6ad1a8cfff78cgensnh-17-1-120.thumb.png.b65e3617a5ea54

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Regardless of the fact the models seem to be showing a fairly swift return of the Atlantic next week, I am very sceptical of such a development.

I have seen many a cold spell get extended day by day over the years simply because the models underestimate the strength of the blocking and cold.

I just cannot see the Atlantic sweeping through as modelled at present.  I fully expect trough disruption next week and maybe even an Easterly, but definitely not a return to Westerlies as easily as shown.

In the meantime, we have some snow and increasingly sharp frosts to look forward to over the coming days and nights (if you are into that sort of thing!)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

No panic MAJOR support from 2 ensembles :D

gensnh-15-1-120.thumb.png.c6ad1a8cfff78cgensnh-17-1-120.thumb.png.b65e3617a5ea54

It wouldn`t suprise me if the 18z supports this, then shortly after ushers in spring! These blooming models are sending me bonkers. 

Edited by BM4PM
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

If I'm reading this correctly, this would suggest that there is a lot of uncertainty at +144 in the N ATLANTIC?

EEH1-144.GIF?11-0

Tell us something we don't know

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

There is a fine effort to the East/NE on the ECM of a holding block. Maybe retrogression of the cold isn`t there yet.

ECH1-144.GIF

Edit: wrong terminology

Edited by SaffW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

If I'm reading this correctly, this would suggest that there is a lot of uncertainty at +144 in the N ATLANTIC?

EEH1-144.GIF?11-0

Yes, that's quite a spread at that range. that's usually the sort of spread that only appears after 200hrs. It could just be one loan big outlier causing that though, you don't really know unless you see the full suite.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, grca said:

ECM short ensemble for De Bilt - op following the warmer breakaway group

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Clusters appearing in the temperatures around the 17th, and the operational appears to jump from the colder cluster to the warmer one.  What stands-out to me, though, is the rate of temperature increase that the operational run shows - I can't see any ensemble members that jump that rapidly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
10 minutes ago, grca said:

ECM short ensemble for De Bilt - op following the warmer breakaway group

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Two distinct and fairly equal (in number) clusters starting to diverge around the 18th there.  The colder cluster look to sustain if not intensify the cold after that date.

Very interesting indeed...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tonight's ECM ens shows high pressure starting to build over the UK giving most parts a chance to dry out towards the end of the run Scotland could become more at risk of some rain but else where the high keeps us dry

EDM1-120.GIF?11-0EDM1-144.GIF?11-0EDM1-168.GIF?11-0EDM1-192.GIF?11-0EDM1-216.GIF?11-0EDM1-240.GIF?11-0

Temperatures very slowly recover though it could be mid next week before they do

EDM0-120.GIF?11-0EDM0-168.GIF?11-0EDM0-216.GIF?11-0EDM0-240.GIF?11-0

After weeks and weeks of rain and floods high pressure is just what's needed

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

After weeks and weeks of rain and floods high pressure is just what's needed

On the contrary Gavin, its exactly the opposite of what is needed. A very mild, moist flow like that would lead to huge amounts of orographic rainfall in north-western areas. It could well lead to huge rainfall totals much as at the beginning of December.

In case anyone wondered, its a textbook 'Bartlett' high pressure. It would be another week at least to anything snowy from there. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Just to add further to my earlier post - the forecast for the AO increase is far more dramatic on the ECM than the GFS and we can see another view of the u wind (mean zonal mean wind) from the following chart. This demonstrates the positive AO seen throughout most of the winter - the  increased sections between 100 -1000hPA in December. This then gave way to the early January trop/strat disconnect following the Kara ridge formation. The strat then connected back with the trop and  now we see the forecast of the pre warming strengthening and what I expect to occur after.

56941e8406cc1_ScreenShot2016-01-11at21.1

• Like 7

Posted

Echoing others sentiments, its a very uncertain outlook. What is certain is we are entering a rather cold period, nothing exceptional, perhaps a standard cold spell for the time of year, but it will feel very cold compared to recent weeks. We had a very similar spell exactly this time last year with some snow for some and frosty nights with daytime maxima struggling into the low single digit figures at least around here.

I'm keeping an open mind how things might pan out - if we do see the atlantic crashing back through with a strong SW flow as suggested by GFS and ECM, it by no means a return to conditions of Nov-Dec.. we are in a very different atmospheric state. Another surge of warm air advection over scandi and into the arctic combined with a Polar Vortex weak on its knees could be just what is needed to shake things up finally - trough disruption, heights pulled back out of Europe and into the mid atlantic, whilst all the time those arctic/Russian heights lie in waiting ready to pounce on Greenland.. A very shortlived mild atlantic outburst end result with a marked full stop!..

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Its turning into the Twilight Zone! So what do you think BA still a big split in the ECM ensembles? Early next week looks impossible to predict. I'm hoping NCEP will become big UKMO fans this evening! Generally though in their State forecasts they don't mention it much, its really the shorter term and WPC ones where it figures.

I'm off now to find any info that backs the UKMO!

I'm thinking pretty well the same as yesterday evening nick.  Why the sudden flip from neg AO/NAO to positive is an interesting question.  If it were a little later, I might be inclined to think it was a reconnection of the trop/strat as the  zonal winds get flushed down ahead of the potential SSW.  

EDIT:. guess I should have read the rest of the thread before answering !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Just to add further to my earlier post - the forecast for the AO increase is far more dramatic on the ECM than the GFS and we can see another view of the u wind (mean zonal mean wind) from the following chart. This demonstrates the positive AO seen throughout most of the winter - the  increased sections between 100 -1000hPA in December. This then gave way to the early January trop/strat disconnect following the Kara ridge formation. The strat then connected back with the trop and  now we see the forecast of the pre warming strengthening and what I expect to occur after.

56941e8406cc1_ScreenShot2016-01-11at21.1

What exactly could we expect to see in the models over the next few weeks chiono? Sorry to ask but I struggle to understand what you mean lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
2 minutes ago, Grimsby Snow Lover said:

What exactly could we expect to see in the models over the next few weeks chiono? Sorry to ask but I struggle to understand what you mean lol.

I believe he is saying we should expect a temporary strengthening of the vortex before it significantly weakens / collapses in response to warming. 

• Like 5

Posted

Is it not best to compare last nights  GFS 18z with tonights 18z as this gives you a better understanding if there is a trend are does this not make a difference.  Are should you compare with GFS 0Z   GFS 6Z   GFS 12Z sorry if i sound stupid. 

Edited by booferking
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, booferking said:

Is it not best to compare last nights  GFS 18z with tonights 18z as this gives you a better understanding if there is a trend are does this not make a difference are should you compare with GFS 0Z   GFS 6Z   GFS 12Z sorry if i sound stupid. 

That is certainly what JH is always telling us. Pick one run a day and stick with that.