Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes mate it snowed all day sat although bexleyheath ( IMBY) the front fizzled a bit - where as to the SW on the downs they got 3-4 inches ( nearer 1.5/2 here )

This is a similar scenario here although perhaps not as condusive to snow - more prolonging the deep cold as its difficult to really see where the UKMO goes past 144 -

the atlantic shortwave is to accute to get into the UK but does stop the sinker - the high could respread Nw & NE so 168 is deffo still very cold but thereafter - unsure.... As no visibilty of shortwave pattern....

S

Many thanks Steve :)

Posted

Looking at the ECM postage stamps a real mix of solutions at T120hrs:

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2016011200!!/

Theres quite a few that have a much better orientation and position of high pressure near the UK.

In terms of the pattern in the eastern USA which does impact on the troughing to the west of the UK.

MODEL EVALUATION AND PREFERENCES... MODEL GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO SHOW A LARGE AMOUNT OF SPREAD WITH THE EVOLUTION OF THE DEEP VORTEX EXPECTED TO DROP DOWN FROM CANADA AND ROTATE OVER THE UPPER GREAT LAKES THIS WEEKEND...RESULTING IN A GREAT DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TIMING/AMPLITUDE OF THE SHORTWAVE ENERGY LIFTING OUT OF THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND THE EXACT TRACK/DEPTH OF ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOWS DEEPENING OVER THE OHIO VALLEY AND NEW ENGLAND COAST. THE GFS/GEFS MEAN HAVE GENERALLY BEEN SLOWER WITH SINKING THE VORTEX INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST/GREAT LAKES...WHILE THE ECMWF/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN HAVE BEEN ON THE FASTER SIDE OF MODEL SPREAD. THE WPC DAY 3-7 FORECAST WAS LARGELY BASED ON ENSEMBLE MEANS/CONTINUITY TO ACCOUNT FOR THE UNCERTAINTY...WITH SLIGHTLY MORE WEIGHT TOWARDS THE ECWMF ENSEMBLE MEAN SINCE IT HAS BEEN A LITTLE MORE CONSISTENT WITH THIS FEATURE.

In terms of the ECM De Bilt ensembles, although theres a strong signal past day ten to lift temps over there still a large spread before then:

eps_pluim_tt_06260.thumb.png.8109f38f814

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

At least if we do see a return to the dreaded SW'erlies in the near future, it appears we will be closer to the high pressure this time so it should prevent things being as disastrously wet as they were through December. Looks like we're pinning our hope on the UKMO being right, as the others don't want to play (snow)ball!

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst discussing the reliability of the UKMO is interesting isn't the net result the same as the other models? All we are looking at here is how long the cold high lasts over the uk before the pattern flatterns and the Atlantic comes back in. We know the long term evolution of the UKMO model from the met office over night update - They say Atlantic returning by mid nxt week.  I think the high sinking into Europe and a return to zonality is inevitable here. Let's just hope Feb delivers something of interest ! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

FWIW, the EC32 that updated late yesterday shows a predominantly high pressure dominated pattern in the locale of the U.K. through much of the 10 to 32 day period. Also the 00z EPS mean has a +height anomaly near the UK  days 10-15, albeit, weakening towards the end.

Be interesting to see whether or not on coming few runs GFS and EC pick up on a trend for more energy/troughing to undercut the SW side of the ridge building across the UK this weekend, as the UKMO shows early next week. Really need to see that upper trough pushing out across the Atlantic continuing to dig SE into early next week after that ridge builds north across the UK this weekend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The ukmo 00z is another peach with the cold, frosty spell lasting well into next week. It's going to become colder everywhere with increasingly wintry ppn and snow down to modest levels as time goes on, even across the south and we will all see widespread frosts and icy patches..as for next week, there are indications we could see trough disruption as the Atlantic systems approach the UK. Enjoy this week coldies, we have waited long enough!:cold-emoji::D

Rukm961.gif

Rukm1201.gif

Rukm1441.gif

WP_20160112_08_50_23_Pro.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

FI but surely snowy for the N midlands, even low level, as for snow here I need the 'dark blue' thicknesses

Netweather GFS Image

15 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 06 out to 66- already more incremental swings to the UKMO in terms of amplifcation-

I will post the 126 00z V the 120 06z for comparison...

s

I'm confused here....I thought you didn't rate the GFS and had even less regard for it's 06 output, or have I missed something?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, coldcomfort said:

I'm confused here....I thought you didn't rate the GFS and had even less regard for it's 06 output, or have I missed something?

Not about that cc, more about the gfs moving towards the UKMO :) 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

Well the 06Z will have initial conditions 6 hours more recent than the 0Z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

6z out to T120 and still quite different to the UKMO, the GFS does bring in marginally colder 850's than the previous run.

gfs120.thumb.png.f778b78d02689c1a22daf71ukmo120.thumb.gif.aa2b26eca33d4bac95b176

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Heights to our N/E possibly building on this run?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

6z out to T120 and still quite different to the UKMO, the GFS does bring in marginally colder 850's than the previous run.

gfs120.thumb.png.f778b78d02689c1a22daf71ukmo120.thumb.gif.aa2b26eca33d4bac95b176

Really need those low heights over the Med to back westwards and prop up the high over the UK. May even bring that phantom easterly in later on. If not, the GFS' F1-speed arrival of southwesterlies may just come into fruition.

• Like 1