CYdBfgsU0AAcT3G.png

TuesdayModele GFS - Carte prévisionsWednesdayModele GFS - Carte prévisions

ThursdayModele GFS - Carte prévisionsFriday Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The rollercoaster shows no sign of stopping then

gfsnh-0-120.thumb.png.044544a6d02973f8cbUN120-21.thumb.GIF.8d85c388bd8d3e8be36d1

Who will be right this time???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS quite bullish about bringing the Atlantic through after Sunday.  UKMO at T144 doesn't show the same but really too far out to take either as correct without a pinch of salt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

As CS has pointed out and as I said last night, for as long as these attacks on the vortex continue, we'll see blocking features wax and wane within the NWP. I agree that perhaps an easterly will pop up at short notice.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I'm not sure the GFS variations on a run to run basis are that great...it's just that this is a set up where little differences can make a great deal of difference to the weather we experience.  If this were late spring, summer or early autumn it would be a case of how much rain we end up getting and no one would be taking too much notice

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

I'm not sure the GFS variations on a run to run basis are that great...it's just that this is a set up where little differences can make a great deal of difference to the weather we experience.  If this were late spring, summer or early autumn it would be a case of how much rain we end up getting and no one would be taking too much notice

Take a look at the NH view, and you will see the whole picture. Completely different each run.

• Like 1

Posted

Gem control and ensembles mostly have heights to our NW. Hardly any support for GFS at all (or indeed the GEM opp). That said, you can't ignore the opp runs at these time ranges even if they are wildly different from their ensembles.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

quite a few posts moved/removed............can we please keep met office forecasts and stratospheric related posts to the relevant threads please....thanks

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

...... plenty better ensemble members for snow down south for end of week - here's one:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=20&ech=102&mode=2&carte=0

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
24 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

When it comes to complex setups delivering cold into the UK, 144 as always been fi in terms of operational runs.

How true that is,  we never had that issuse in December! ...... So, so glad it's behind us  Throw Computer

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
7 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Gem control and ensembles mostly have heights to our NW. Hardly any support for GFS at all!

Yeah the control is very cold well into next week, the GEM OP goes quickly downhill much like the GFS OP after the weekend so it does have support... I'd be more worried if the ECM followed the GFS though! 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.
20 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

TuesdayModele GFS - Carte prévisionsWednesdayModele GFS - Carte prévisions

ThursdayModele GFS - Carte prévisionsFriday Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

I wouldn't worry about those temps to much, we have been a good 1-2 degrees below at times what we where supposed to be today according to the bbc. Gives me a little bit of optimism regards Wednesday PPN and the chance of some surprise snowfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

This is the sort of pattern I am hoping for which are variations on a theme - the Atlantic trough disrupting SE instead of the Atlantic just surging through which would maintain some heights over Greenland and hopefully encourage another bout of WAA toward Greenland behind.

gensnh-2-1-144.pnggensnh-9-1-144.pnggensnh-15-1-144.pnggensnh-17-1-144.png

Not showing within the mean so not that well represented as yet unfortunately.

gensnh-21-1-144.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well the only thing  the models are consistently showing is their inconsistently showing agreement!!GFS has consistently shown the Atlantic pushing through with milder temps returning to UK. The UKMO is having none of that and we await the ECM.

FWIW I feel this will be a coldish spell but nothing what most on here wish for. The good thing is that a cooling trend is occurring and Northern England Northwards are looking favoured to seeing snow. Further South I feel snow is only likely in elevated areas of 150m+. That is just my take on the likely outcome from past experiences when we have been in similar set ups ( I appreciate no 2 set ups are ever the same.

Moving on there really are all possibilities on the table varying from milder Westerlies which Met Office seem favourite looking at their latest forecast. Then if you read Tamara's and GPs views it would appear that something more colder is possible with attacks on the Vortex maybe resulting in what 99% on here would like..

If this is to happen this is most likely in latter January and hopefully run into February.

My favoured outcome would be for Tamara's and GPs views to come to fruition as this would be one happy forum but my 'Gut" feeling is the Met Office will be correct as they haven't ben too far off the mark so far this winter( Mind you if this cold snap/spell does materialise they weren't that good on picking up signal imo).

Fascinating stuff and very addictive model watching which I am sure will have us on the edge of our seats and watching behind sofas lol!!      

• Like 3

Posted

Good grief the GFS is still refusing to back down. The UKMO is excellent but you can clearly see the differences upstream between the GFS and the UKMO between T96 and T120hrs. The UKMO phases the low running east over the USA  with the PV lobe and has a more amplified pattern which sharpens up the troughing to the west.

The GFS keeps the south/north jets separate and is much flatter which then sends the energy eastwards.

I'll see what NCEP has to say re the upstream pattern, lets hope they don't favour the GFS!

• Like 6

Posted

Right theres a lot of uncertainty re the pattern in the eastern USA:

PATTERN OVERVIEW... THE LARGE-SCALE PATTERN IS DOMINATED BY A BLOCK OVER EASTERN CANADA WITH A BROAD YET COMPLEX LOW SUSTAINING A MEAN TROUGH ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES/OH VALLEY. MEANWHILE...THE WEST IS LARGELY INFLUENCED BY FAST MOVING SHORTWAVE TROUGHS EMBEDDED IN THE STRONG FLOW OVER THE PACIFIC THAT ARE BREAKING THROUGH THE NARROW MEAN RIDGE ALONG THE WEST COAST. INTERACTION OF THE WEST COAST STREAM WITH PERTURBATION ROTATING THROUGH THE BASE OF THE GREAT LAKES TROUGH LEADS TO GROWING UNCERTAINTY EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER DUE TO POSSIBLE INTERACTION OF THESE STREAMS.

You'll see they mention streams, given the set up we must really see those streams interacting like the UKMO.

Theres better news though as to what they think of the GFS:

THE MODEL CONSENSUS IS THE SECOND ASPECT...WHICH FAVORS A MORE SOUTHWARD UPPER LOW NEARING MINNESOTA BY FRI/SAT VERSUS THE MORE NORTHWESTWARD GFS...AS WELL AS SUGGESTING SLOWER TIMING FOR THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH NEARING THE WEST COAST. THE THIRD ASPECT IS MODEL BIAS. THE 00Z GFS MAY BE DISPLAYING ITS FAST BIAS ALONG THE WEST COAST BY SAT...AND MAY BE OVERDOING ITS NORTHWESTWARD POSITION FOR THE UPPER LOW NORTHWEST OF MINNESOTA BY UNDERCUTTING THE UPPER HIGH TO ITS NORTH... BEHAVIORS THE GFS OCCASIONALLY DISPLAYS. THESE ASPECTS WHEN COMBINED FAVOR AN OVERALL SOLUTION SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE 00Z ECMWF/00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN/06Z GEFS MEAN...WITH THE ECWMF/ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN CAMP MORE HEAVILY WEIGHTED.

These discussions are in relation to the 00hrs outputs however the issues raised there are still on the GFS 12hrs run.The pattern in the Pacific is important because its the more amplified set up there which downstream helps the pattern in the eastern USA. The GFS throws shortwave energy through that upper high much quicker than the other outputs.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 8

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.html

Can't find much wrong with that chart, if only we could bank it now!!

surely that would lead to a big easterly incoming !!! ,love to see a 168 chart :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

gefs  looks like it wants to displace residual vortex energy over this side of the hemisphere going forwards and id reluctantly say that the jet at some point beyond 180 would be heading futher south which could open the door to another height rise into Greenland in time.

ukmo is pretty good tonight and the comments made by ian f and tamara,s also shows continued possibilities 09/10 didn't start and stay cold it had reloads and this could well happen through the rest of winter.

as suggested by john h theres plenty of years that the models try to remove enriched cold swiftly out the way only to be forced back or held back leading to slow snowy breakdown or reload or just cold heights like that has been shown by other models.

either way 4 or 5 days of cold wont be shifted like you may expect unless of coarse the models are wrong in earlier timeframes there for not seeing that the current cold setting in is futher east  than the models expected.

but then again they could be futher west than expected its now coming down to now casting time anything can happen.

gensnh-0-1-180.thumb.png.85a417e238b1684

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 5

Posted

Fergies update is extremely interesting, esp the comment about not ruling out cold regime for the next 15 days.

Dare we hope?: :D

FWIW it would seem to me we have ukmo and gfs churning out two extremes with ecm in the middle.Unfortunately there is no middle ground insofar as the weekend and beyond is concerned - we need the ecm to look EXACTLY like ukmo144 tonight.

• Like 2