Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
32 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I quite like the look of how things are lining up. Looks as if we're going to get a cold shot, followed by a cold high.....eventually everything swinging back to a more W-E flow, though by that time there could be an inversion under the high and it stays cold anyway. Looks like more eastern half of the UK may even fare best for a change!

Not sure how you could say that after the December floods? For snow the east is more often for not the best place :) 

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 minutes ago, Nicholas B said:

Not sure how you could say that after the December floods? For snow the east is more often for not the best place :) 

I was going to post the same. I grew up and lived in East Anglia until 2011, and have now lived in Manchester since 2013, and so far (and this may just be timing with the 2 pathetic Winters we have had since), the East usually manages to fare best for snow. Much to my dismay and disappointment of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I meant W-E in the orientation of the general flow pattern, though with a HP bias rather than low pressure dominant. Here in Cambridge we're often too far inland for anything substantial snow wise unless it's a major low pressure truckload of snow! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Upgrades this morning, a few tweaks here and there to pull the high a little further north would be good. A decent start to the week, the cold keeps getting prolonged and on the latest GFS run the high throughout the low res part of the run just keeps moving around and doesn't really want to sink which is a good sign going forward.

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.af7e47e738af002e1bUN144-21.thumb.GIF.8a02b12ed7ba226cd23e2ECH1-144.GIF.thumb.png.5d03c74ff40f38d74

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TEITS said:

On a more negative note I feel some in S areas are expecting too much from the potential snow this week. I am of the opinion that the S is more likely to see snow falling rather than snowfall and this to occur on the backedge as fronts clear.

Bah - pains me to say it (given I live down S), but I agree.  The depth of cold isn't there IMO for snow 'here' from the initial blast on Thursday.  If the -5 air had been established for a few days and had a chance to mix down to lower levels then it would be more likely.  I expect some further North will do quite well - more especially if you have a bit of altitude.

Our best chance may be the little feature project to run across Friday night - which I'd prefer anyway since if it did amount to anything I won't be stuck in the morning commute as it'll be the weekend.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=114&mode=2

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=84&carte=2000  (wave just west of Ireland) - it may track too far west though.

Edited by beng

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

Great news this morning, all models trending towards very cold air until at least Monday. Highest risk of snow certainly across the east, where even to lower levels a few cm+ is likely. Wishbone becomes active on Saturday so any snow at the eastern coast. In summery, the further west you are, you're much drier but very cold. The further east you are the more snow and very cold also. Time to start getting excited! :)

• Like 2

Posted

On another note, Ryan Maue on Twitter has posted a graphic suggesting the AO is to go positive, which unless I'm mistaken suggests a reformation of the Polar Vortex? :-(

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/686309114692136960

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

On another note, Ryan Maue on Twitter has posted a graphic suggesting the AO is to go positive, which unless I'm mistaken suggests a reformation of the Polar Vortex? :-(

Way too far away but the general trend is for the AO to go back to neutral.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I'd say quite possibly looking at this chart:

ECH1-240.GIF?11-12

Most of the consensus at around day to is for low pressure to start filling the polar region again, with a big trough over Iceland and Greenland, and high pressure back to it's usual position over the south. High pressure locked away over Siberia for the time being again perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
26 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Well the stratosphere PV remains strong, though forecasts show it getting torpedoed later in Jan, maybe signs of a SSW. The troposphere PV, which has been disconnected from the strat, has of course, been blown apart, as signified by the current -AO, though GEFS suggest a return to more neutral indices.

image.thumb.png.f46afafd99a8bf91c659df19

on another note, 00z EPS mean shows a 500mb +height anomaly centred over UK even at day 13 . Control more akin to high res up to day 10.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

im not so sure the high is going anywhere fast, despite what the ops are suggesting.

the noaa anomaly chart is pretty consistent in keeping the high to our near west, so the uk looks like being calm and cold with sharp overnight frosts and fog issues for much longer then the current ops predict.

high.gif

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Looking at the latest gfs polar vortex is definately being displaced.00_384_arctic10-1.thumb.png.711b44051934

Ozone signals are strong to swing the heating further north and west. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hopefully the cold for nearer the weekend will be a bit more sustained because the cold air for this week is really looking sorry for itself with mild sectors galore unfortunately on the 06Z run in particular, keep harping about it but if the current trough that is over us cleared quicker like some model runs did suggest then we would be in the colder air quicker and by the time things got messy, it would of been less marginal than I think it will be now. 

Hopefully this 06Z run is wrong tbh because it does make more of the milder sectors and again, its not as amplified as the Euro runs in the shorter to medium term. 

• Like 5

Posted

Interesting take from the gfs 06z particularly n.hemisphere speaking.

it takes directly from what I said this morning, their are hints that the models don't want to destroy the gh and indeed patterns suggest it might well stay in place. 

Many more twists and turns yet in the happenings over the next 15 days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Hopefully the cold for nearer the weekend will be a bit more sustained because the cold air for this week is really looking sorry for itself with mild sectors galore unfortunately on the 06Z run in particular, keep harping about it but if the current trough that is over us cleared quicker like some model runs did suggest then we would be in the colder air quicker and by the time things got messy, it would of been less marginal than I think it will be now. 

Hopefully this 06Z run is wrong tbh because it does make more of the milder sectors and again, its not as amplified as the Euro runs in the shorter to medium term. 

Reluctantly I have to agree GS, even calling the upcoming spell a cold one looks to be on increasingly shaky ground imo, colder yes, but average to rather cold pretty much covers what I can see. Once again the 06 GFS is like a dog with a bone regarded a quick return to milder Atlantic air this weekend, no doubt it will probably be something of an outlier but you can't help thinking that eventually it will come up with a run like this that attracts an unwanted level of support from it's ensembles.