Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
18 minutes ago, Nicholas B said:

I was just looking at the ensembles Karlos, would seem there are a few more members keeping us cold from the 17th ( where most of the scatter/uncertainty starts), could be changes afoot showing here :)

Yeah, the model watching this week is going to be exhausting, but I think fruitful. I personally can't wait!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes but I found the Gfs 6z to be very interesting as it keeps coldies in with a fighting chance of some wintry weather right to the end of the run and beyond. This week looks interesting too with some awkward situations for the professional forecasters as we see knife edge rain to sleet and wet snow situations developing through this week...at least it will feel like winter this week and hopefully next week too.:)

Oh yes - not disputing we will get the best week of the winter so far this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

id have thought the best chance of getting deep cold is for the ridge to our west, (which is unlikely to collapse as fast as the gfs insists) is for it to drift slowly towards scandinavia. this is not  unfeasible given the current projected pattern . but i admit ignores the gfs in favour of the noaa 500mb charts which suggests the ridge holds on much longer (to our west currently but theres plenty of time for an eastward progress).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
10 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes but I found the Gfs 6z to be very interesting as it keeps coldies in with a fighting chance of some wintry weather right to the end of the run and beyond. This week looks interesting too with some awkward situations for the professional forecasters as we see knife edge rain to sleet and wet snow situations developing through this week...at least it will feel like winter this week and hopefully next week too.:)

Yep, looking at the postage stamps for the 06z, there are a fair few that keep heights to our Northwest or over us rather than the Atlantic winning through easily, best ensembles for a couple of days I think, senspanel1681.thumb.gif.1db0e33ddeb565d4

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 2

Posted

FWIW the ECM parallel run is quite similar to the operational - though the high pressure at days 9-10 sits more on top of the UK rather than over central France.

Edited by mulzy

Posted
6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Unfortunately the title "Model Discussion Thread" is a bit misleading to those of us who observe and try to learn. There are obviously various different models and various different ensembles out there such that those on here with a bias - for whatever reason - towards ramping mild or ramping cold will always find output from somewhere that appears to back his or her case.

Its frustrating but its entertaining and at times like this, it just underlines that no matter what your chosen model says, anything can happen !!!

I would say I have a decent level of model knowledge but I was trying to follow the run by the posts being made as I was on my phone.

So you can imagine the frustration when you have two contradictory posts right after one another. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The good news is the cold weather, once fully established looks like staying until well into next week which is better than some of the models were showing yesterday so it's going to gradually become colder this week with widespread frosts and icy patches and increasingly wintry showers and even some longer spells of rain, sleet and wet snow with the snow not exclusively across the hills or the north either, there could be some wintry surprises later this week as the main trough eventually edges further east and opens the door to a colder NW'ly airflow.:):cold-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted

So I'm not holding muh hope about this upcoming cold spell,I see temperatures in north averaging 1-3c and around 3-6c in the south. Not exactly a decent cold spell just below average more like.the coldes temps from Thursday through till tuesday, before it turns milder later next week.for a longer cold spell we really need the pressure rise this weekend to edge further north,as it appears to reach only north of Scotland then move east and topple! What we ideally need is a north and then west movement,to introduce those very cold bitter uppers! From the east.☺ I would appreciate some responses on this if you agree with what I'm saying.

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Nothing has changed in decades, ALMOST always if a cold spell lasts 3 or more days, the longer the more effect it has, then milder Atlantic air is predicted to move across the whole UK too quickly.

Must admit.....I've seen many a cold spell anticipated over the years that you have not supported, so to speak, and it has ended up not amounting to anything.

So I take a lot of optimism from what you are saying here

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

So I'm not holding muh hope about this upcoming cold spell,I see temperatures in north averaging 1-3c and around 3-6c in the south. Not exactly a decent cold spell just below average age more like.the coldes temps from Thursday through till tuesday, before it turns milder later next week.for a longer cold spell we really need the pressure rise this weekend to edge further north,as it appears to reach only north of Scotland then move east and topple! What we ideally need is a north and then west movement,to introduce those very cold bitter uppers! From the east.☺

hi, 

i think you need to go into the southwest discussion and read Ian Ferguson reply.

the met are struggling with any outcome at present so nothing is set in stone   

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Looks like the Met Office think the cold will at least last until the middle of next week. Could be some pretty cold temps as the high moves over us through the weekend. The uncertainty of the upcoming week aside though, Ed posted a few days ago about the positive anomalies starting to show up to our north west again by the end of the GEFS period. Still there today...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_63.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Must admit.....I've seen many a cold spell anticipated over the years that you have not supported, so to speak, and it has ended up not amounting to anything.

So I take a lot of optimism from what you are saying here

Yes, I think it just goes to show, without looking at the detail, which is impossible, the 500mb Anomaly charts are pretty consistent at picking out the overall trend. John has helped me to understand them, through using the PM button and I thank him for that, yet I'm still guilty now of forgetting to look at them, especially when cold is on the table, but that is usually because I dont want to see the end of a cold spell before it has even started. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes, I think it just goes to show, without looking at the detail, which is impossible, the 500mb Anomaly charts are pretty consistent at picking out the overall trend. John has helped me to understand them, through using the PM button and I thank him for that, yet I'm still guilty now of forgetting to look at them, especially when cold is on the table, but that is usually because I dont want to see the end of a cold spell before it has even started. 

yep, me too, im a huge 'fan' of the noaa's as all year round they are very accurate for the timeframe given.

they are the first charts i view every morning, then i view the ops and doubt op runs that dont fit with what the noaa anomaly charts are saying (when consistent).

thats why i dont believe the current gfs runs that insist on getting rid of the ridge...

but i guess everyone has their fav data source, i would suggest though, following the noaa's... (and thats on the back of what john has been saying - i take no credit...)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Indeed peeps - the anomalies are the best rough guide to the next 10 days that there is...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
44 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The good news is the cold weather, once fully established looks like staying until well into next week which is better than some of the models were showing yesterday so it's going to gradually become colder this week with widespread frosts and icy patches and increasingly wintry showers and even some longer spells of rain, sleet and wet snow with the snow not exclusively across the hills or the north either, there could be some wintry surprises later this week as the main trough eventually edges further east and opens the door to a colder NW'ly airflow.:):cold-emoji:

I can only echo Frostys post at present .

Looking at all current data and charts i think this cold spell could hang on for some time ,Alot of ifs and buts after this week end and still the scope for surprises galore if our dice falls right .

A big question mark also come sat /sun with the possible inclusion of fronts approaching from the Atlantic and with this being 6/8 days away and models all over the place we could find ourselves in a real battleground situation ,no guarantee but i do feel the chance is there .

Great posts again on our top forum , and a snooze before the next set of runs ,Stellas all round gang ,i,ll have a half .:yahoo:

• Like 5

Posted

To all intents and purposes it doesn't like like there will be an awful lot of snow to get excited about (looking at Liam Dutton's new blog from this afternoon), so I'm going to be keenly watching the models for something coming up with a bit more "bite"!

Will we get a Feb 1991 or Jan 1987? Who knows. It makes for good model watching though. 

Edited by Paul_1978
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

To all intents and purposes it doesn't like like there will be an awful lot of snow to get excited about (looking at Liam Dutton's new blog from this afternoon), so I'm going to be keenly watching the models for something coming up with a bit more "bite"!

Will we get a Feb 1991 or Jan 1987? Who knows. It makes for good model watching though. 

milder westerly winds seems to be the outcome from mid next week,from the updated met office forecast ,so all this talk about ssw and greenland high building again doesnt seem to be favoured by met office at all :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

milder westerly winds seems to be the outcome from mid next week,from the updated met office forecast ,so all this talk about ssw and greenland high building again doesnt seem to be favoured by met office at all :(

Yes, but they also never mentioned this upcoming cold spell until last week. 

• Like 8