Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion pm 13/01/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Going through the GFS ensembles, the encouragement I take out of them is not that any are showing any particularly stella charts at T180, but that there is a degree of disagreement between then.   Maybe similar themes but enough disagreement to suggest that there are still options both being modelled and not being modelled that are still on the table.

However....I make no bones about it, I am looking for the straws to clutch.  I look with a large amount of hope, but at the same time i do keep a healthy dose of realism close by.  Yes I hope something develops for February and even for March.  And though it doesn't show in the models at the moment perhaps, it was there not long ago so I retain the hope it will come back

But.......but......for example I see comments about what March could be and it does make me think that maybe recent experience has led to  expectations being a little too high.

The March of the 2012-13 winter (and for the purposes of this post I will include March as being part of winter) was the coldest since 1962 and first one to come in with a mean CET of 3.5C or under since 1969.  Indeed there's only been one other, in 1955 since the end of the FIRST world War. So they are far and few between which suggests to anticipate one might be aiming to high.

In terms of all winter months (again including March), the five winters from 2008/9 to 2012/13 probably spoiled us. In those twenty months, nine were at or below a mean CET of 3.5C..... so practically half!  But only one other month in a winter that started in this century - Jan 2001 -  has been that cold!!  So that's only ten months in 62 months this century (assuming this month doesn't make it).

Again, assuming this month doesn't make it, that will be wait of 10 months.  That's not by any means a long wait in relative terms.  Dec 2008 ended a wait of 30 winter months with CETs greater than 3.5C.  Indeed it was down to the March of 1916 to bring an end to 25 consecutive such winter months.  It did so in spectacular fashion leading to the winter of 1916/17 ...the only winter since 1900 where none of the four months exceeded 3.5C.

So I'd say the chances are slim. but they exist.   And even if it doesn't happen, next winter could be 1916/7, or 1947 or 1955 or 1962/63.  There will always be hope!!!  :)

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Next week.....Well look where we were suppose to be 7 days ago....big differences! so again who knows :)

gfs-0-6_qmq2.thumb.png.cb03484bf386bd371 Todays Chart

gfs-0-174.thumb.png.95d50092d96ae5ab8046 7 days ago for today

perhaps look at the ecm anomoly ens mean for today from 10 days ago. the ens mean and anomolys are again leading the way, especially ecm.  the issue we have over the next couple weeks is not a lack of HLB but the euro heights. without the euro heights, we could see a split jet at the very least.  no low euro heights = no CAA.  we wait for the euro heights to be tempted west by a mid atlantic ridge at some point. lets hope it isnt april!

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Going through the GFS ensembles, the encouragement I take out of them is not that any are showing any particularly stella charts at T180, but that there is a degree of disagreement between then.   Maybe similar themes but enough disagreement to suggest that there are still options both being modelled and not being modelled that are still on the table.

Nice history lesson TT just goes to show how difficult it is to get those real winter experiences here. Most on here enjoy the chart possibilities but atm not much doing.

By the way TT Who is this Stella Charts who should be giving us all encouragement?:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Do bear in mind the very different evolution into medium range touted by 12z GFS-P. It's not wholly without support elsewhere, albeit a minority probability presently.

Hi Ian, as a novice what in simple terms do you mean? Many thanks

Posted
1 minute ago, fergieweather said:

Do bear in mind the very different evolution into medium range touted by 12z GFS-P. It's not wholly without support elsewhere, albeit a minority probability presently.

I noticed that before I posted Ian. It does keep  cropping up on ops from time to time. Judging by Tomas' 10pm forecast last evening, it must have had some MOGREPS support too.  However, the ECM ens uppers spread has drifted away from it in the 10 day period.  As I said in my post, without any drop off in euro heights, there is no catalyst to advect the cold this way.  The gfsp waits nearly two weeks to get there but the signal for sceuro heights to sustain is significant so we only need to get that med trough initiated and the blue touch paper is lit.  

• Like 1

Posted

FWIW the ECM extended ensemble mean (days 11-15) follows on from the morning suite in showing lower than normal heights around the SE Greenland/Iceland vicinity and higher than normal heights over mainland Europe - looks a fairly zonal pattern to me.  It does seem that the negative height anomalies are travelling slowly from west to east though the Atlantic sector though at this range usual caveats apply.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Time instead for looking at the best case scenario, which still remains - but with further evidence to hand, as just stated above, its one that demands caution and probably has to be adjusted back further into the new month

Is this a reason for 'not forecasting' Tamara and a backtrack on 'expectations, strat allowing' ?   Is this an end of the rainbow scenario?  For me the most important part of your indepth post...

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

No sign of the pub run following the GFSP,  where as the GFS12z kind of did for a while.

Let's see what tomorrow brings, I'm hoping nicks optimism rating jumps from 2/10 to at least 5/10.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

No sign of the pub run following the GFSP,  where as the GFS12z kind of did for a while.

Let's see what tomorrow brings, I'm hoping nicks optimism rating jumps from 2/10 to at least 5/10.

Its crashed to 1/10. The GFS 18hrs run so far is even more underwhelming than the ECM and that's saying something!

• Like 2

Posted

The pub run is making me feel nostalgic. Ah, 1988 what a year :rofl:

if anyone wonders what a classic Bartlett set up looks like this is a prime example. It's going to be very very difficult to shift these Iberian heights. 

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

GFS 18z T186   v GFS parallel  12z T192

gfs-0-186.png?18?18     v       gfs-0-192.png?12

Looks to me as if GFS is squeezing the Azores high eastwards and pushing the cold further away while the Parallel run was more readily finding a way for heights to get up into Scandinavia instead and keep the cold pool available for tapping into at a later date....

Hopefully, and who's to say it won't happen as it seems to have done every other day since late December, future runs will give us back the hope we crave!  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 hours ago, tight isobar said:

Well its the iberian heights for me scuppering things! .. its a case of she's going she's going. ..oh no shes not ...

Id like to ring the neck of that thing...However still potential and things are perhaps knife edge for the craved beast.

@easterly incursion. 

Posted

So as it stands going by the last GFS run Ireland will be seeing rain everyday from this Thursday right through to the end of the Month that's just great suppose we had two dry day's this week that will make up for next 11 rainy days..:yahoo:

Edited by booferking
  • Like 5

Posted

The best thing about this GFS 18hrs run is that thankfully it will be over soon! lol

A horrid set of charts with the PV going into overdrive.

• Like 7

Posted

Well, this is the model output discussion and to be totally honest, the operational runs of the major players for the last couple of days have been consistently appalling for cold lovers. I could not paint a worse picture than the ones shown on the ops. I really do hope that GP and Tamara are onto something here but the fact that GP's negative nao torpedo forecast has now been put back by at least a week sets off alarm bells imo. If he is a week to 10 days out and his predictions still come true, then all will be well and good as no one cares about a week here or there. If on the other hand it keeps getting put back, I for one will be bracing myself for the third crappy mild/borefest winter on the bounce.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
36 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Is this a reason for 'not forecasting' Tamara and a backtrack on 'expectations, strat allowing' ?   Is this an end of the rainbow scenario?  For me the most important part of your indepth post...

BFTP

Odd post Blast. What exactly are you trying to say?

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, booferking said:

So as it stands going by the last GFS run Ireland will be seeing rain everyday from this Thursday right through to the end of the Month that's just great suppose we had two dry today's this week that will make up for next 11 rainy days..:yahoo:

If this winter doesn't get it's act together soon, it will be dumped into the class of 88/89.

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

So as it stands going by the last GFS run Ireland will be seeing rain everyday from this Thursday right through to the end of the Month that's just great suppose we had two dry today's this week that will make up for next 11 rainy days..:yahoo:

That made me laugh so much!  You have to have a sense of humour to cope with these wretched outputs! Brilliant post Booferking, keep them coming! I think it was the emoticon that sent me over the edge.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

1st February, not long to go now. Hope this don't verify.

gfs-0-300.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Mad as it seems to say...

I think vast amount of operationals' gfs; ecm; gem ukmo...are going into hyper overdrive here!!!! (Mobility madness)!!!

Perhaps I've just gone mad in saying so...but I can certainly mind things may not look so dire within 48hrs!!! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowray said:

1st February, not long to go now. Hope this don't verify.

gfs-0-300.png

Well,  our only remaining hope is that the ramping up of the PV is its dieing swansong as the Strat led warming start to work. 

I do believe it will be mid February before the change to much colder conditions occur.