Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
13 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

What happened today? lol :cc_confused:......... a really poor show, looking at the hills to my east it looked like only ground above 300m saw any accumulation which was vastly higher than the Met Office thought. As someone else said they dislike north westerlys, I do too they are so fickle, I much prefer easterlys on this side of the region like end of Nov 2010 and Jan 2013. Proper cold continental air with very low dew points which really helps with snow fall. The north westerlys are so marginal most of the time. Take today for example the dew was fluctuating between 0 and 2C. Not good enough. Needs to be -1 or even better still lower than that.

The thing is even easterlies are disappointing these days as the continent is more often than not, not cold enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

The thing is even easterlies are disappointing these days as the continent is more often than not, not cold enough.

Indeed. Been a milder than average Winter in Eastern Europe & Western Russia. Been a decent Winter for Eastern Russia and parts of Asia though. Snow a long way south into China and even Taiwan.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Indeed. Been a milder than average Winter in Eastern Europe & Western Russia. Been a decent Winter for Eastern Russia and parts of Asia though. Snow a long way south into China and even Taiwan.

Yes, in general it is easier for the more eastern areas to get the cold as they don't have an ocean to their west feeding in mild air. The same goes with north America. 

• Like 1

Posted

Oh Tomasz - forecast at 4pm, 'mammatus clouds are called that because they look like, well, breasts.'

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Parts of the south east have had more snow than me this winter and even there its been poor.

Posted

This is another reason why this winter is worse than 2013/14. At least in 2013/14 there was nothing to get our hopes up and I even saw falling snow 2 times. This winter there have been so many potential snow events and not one have them has materialized. 5 minutes of very light snow after 12 hours of cold rain is all I've seen this winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Anyone fancy getting excited about another none event Thursday night? :):):):):):):)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, Spah1 said:

Anyone fancy getting excited about another none event Thursday night? :):):):):):):)

Yep GFS gives a heavy period of snow

tomorrow night the models are like

politicians full of s@@@

C.S

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Nope, not even slightly interested .

Today was a joke, i had a feeling last night it was going breasties up and so it proved, im not sure what it is but this little area between Blackpool and manchester seems to dodge snow time after time, when its rain on the menu its not an issue.

Roll on summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Raining here at points all day... light-moderate rain this morning with maybe the slightest hint of sleetiness, then this afternoon a band of heavy rain.  Seems we are always caught in a mid-inversion layer, because lower ground has had better snowfall than here this year. Still the hunt goes on.

• Like 1

Posted

I think the Dec 2010 northwesterly which gave me and many others up to a foot of snow over two spells inside 36 hrs, somewhat raised false hopes of a new dawn in wintry expectations.  Since then I'll have to agree, N/NW'lies have left a lot to be desired.  To add insult to injury of a dire day, the coldest of cold rain is now falling, with only speculative bits of sleet here and there.  Roll on summer, at least the rain won't feel quite as cold then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A few heavy snow showers throughout the day but the snow line has retreated up to about 350 metres and what bit settled lower down melted within minutes of stopping.

not a total let down but hardly a substantial event and it did present a tricky drive to work this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

This is another reason why this winter is worse than 2013/14. At least in 2013/14 there was nothing to get our hopes up and I even saw falling snow 2 times. This winter there have been so many potential snow events and not one have them has materialized. 5 minutes of very light snow after 12 hours of cold rain is all I've seen this winter.

I have had no snow this winter, and had none in winter 2013/14 .  As far as I'm concerned, that winter was the   Worst, as I only had 1 air frost  and a record low  minimum temperature of -0.3°C! This winter has actually been much better for air frosts, Eight in all, most this month.  For some reason I don't remember winter 2013/14 being as frustrating as this winter. I suppose  The exciting winter storms made up for it. Also LFC  kept my mind off the weather with their  amazing football lol. :-) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Nope, not even slightly interested .

Today was a joke, i had a feeling last night it was going breasties up and so it proved, im not sure what it is but this little area between Blackpool and manchester seems to dodge snow time after time, when its rain on the menu its not an issue.

Roll on summer.

I said last night I could hear the thudding of the snow deflector being switched on :laugh: No doubt they will switch it on Thurs night as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I really like the look off tomorrow night into Friday morning IMBY.  Wind directions look more  favourable, and cold air  seems to undercut more and more as the night goes on.  Wins look to fall light  for a time in the early hours, so evaporative cooling may play a part as well.  I fancy our chances more with this one., me  and  The people in that narrow corridor of so far  snowless coast from Formby point down into the Wirral. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
10 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I said last night I could hear the thudding of the snow deflector being switched on :laugh: No doubt they will switch it on Thurs night as well

They won't need to bother, Diane mentioned the chance of snow for Friday so that will have put a curse on any chances.

that said though,  she didn't have her usual " at least our region will miss out on the heavy snow affecting other parts of the country" smirk although no doubt that will happen tomorrow night instead.

Edited by iand61
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

BBC and Met Office have light rain symbols and 3c imby for tomorrow night imby, another let down is inevitable.

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted

Thought we were meant to have snow again tonight??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Clear skies here this evening, 6.0c and quite gusty. Cold rain on the cards here tomorrow night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

When is the wind supposed to die down?? It is still blowy out there.

Posted

Met office app has me down for sleet  from midnight and snow at 9 AM.  It  hasn't performed that badly actually recently at  giving an overview of the situation. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Met office app has me down for sleet  from midnight and snow at 9 AM.  It  hasn't performed that badly actually recently at  giving an overview of the situation. 

I think that's is a fair shout Chris.

as the system pivots winds switch more round to a SE direction taking any marginal rubbish away

from the irish sea,expect rain to start then turning to sleet or snow in places.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

I think that's is a fair shout Chris.

as the system pivots winds switch more round to a SE direction taking any marginal rubbish away

from the irish sea,expect rain to start then turning to sleet or snow in places.

C.S

Not sure why i've got rain then, surely it should turn to snow on the northern edge?

Posted
2 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Not sure why i've got rain then, surely it should turn to snow on the northern edge?

The main issue here is how far North or South the system goes.

it will be right down to the wire yet again(when is it not) also as the warning says

depends on the intensity of the PPN as to rain or snow for low ground.

after todays shambolics my expectations are very low indeed,however you never know

the surprise snowfalls are always the best,well for me anyway.

C.S