Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Yep, it is ,time to leave the north west and go home me thinks

Birth place or Californian second home:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Unfortunately not my spiritual home :(

Going California myself in October, can't wait.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Enjoy I'm doing Everest base camp then ,lol

Less chance of last minute downgrades to cold rain there I suppose.

a mate of mine did it about 12 years ago and loved every minute but my days of high altitude walking have long gone, that's if they were ever here.

oh and a month away from the missus wouldn't be a good career move on my part.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Peeing down here already, didnt know there were flood warnings in place

Posted
6 minutes ago, SparkleS said:

Peeing down here already, didnt know there were flood warnings in place

It's forecast to pee it down pretty much throughout the weekend in this region.

Then a chance of snow next week until this no doubt downgrades to more periods of peeing down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

In the words of Victor Meldew"i dont believe it"

Best ECM of the winter JMA,and UKMO also on board just need

The GFS to jump on board,Garden path or has winter got one

Final sting in the tail,i am sure the "towel throwers" will have there

Own views,and for me my snow hunt ended  last week,but who

Knows my eye brows may raise IF the charts continue to show

The goods,of course tomorrow it could all come crashing down

And this post will only be good for the shredder ☺

C.S

HHmm The pub run starting to stagger to the party

Interesting 

Edited by cheshire snow

Posted

Dry start here but looking at the radar, the rain is already piling in across the Irish Sea so it's downhill from here, unless of course heavy rain is you thing.

i'm not getting even remotely excited about next week's possible cold/cool spell as the way our look works, even if it's 90% nailed on, the 10% will win the day.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Looks like becoming colder with snow for some from mid-week well into the foreseeable future. Excellent news, finally. 

Posted

Rain has arrived and with it, it's best mate gusty wind.

I'm currently doing some work in the conservatory so both probably sound worse than they actually are but yet another thoroughly miserable day on the cards.

5.5c so it's hardly mild but yet again, the wrong side of marginal for anything remotely interesting.

Posted

Must admit my intrest in a cold/snowy spell is gaining memento 

The charts are very interesting,but also a quote from Fergie

Which ended"something afoot"also caught my attention 

We shall see in the next few days if the models are to be believed 

But at the moment things are looking very promising if cold/snow

Is your thing.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I agree CS. For me this really is the last straw, if we end up letdown again then that's me til next winter. But as you say charts are looking decent and not way out in FI either. Can the region all get snow for the first time this winter within next few weeks? My hope is currently about 25%, let's see if it rises in time???

Edited by Minus 10
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Minus 10 said:

I agree CS. For me this rehopefullyy is the last straw, if we  end up letdown again then that's me til next winter. But as you say charts are looking decent and not way out in FI either. Can the region all get snow for the first time this winter within next few weeks? My hope is currently about 25%, let's see if it rises in time???

Absoultly this is last chance saloon for us to see snow,hopefully

The whole region can get involved,its been a awfull winter hopefully

The nrxttwo to three weeks can make amends

C.S

Posted
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Absoultly this is last chance saloon for us to see snow,hopefully

The whole region can get involved,its been a awfull winter hopefully

The nrxttwo to three weeks can make amends

C.S

Good job I didn't throw the towel in as I've needed it most days to dry off after being out in the rain.

as for the coming days/weeks, the models are looking good but too many backtracks and let downs over the last few winters so I'll believe it when I see it although I am more optimistic as time goes on.

meanwhile peeing down here again so where's my towel.

• Like 1

Posted

In some ways I'm not sure this winter deserves a wintry sting to it's tale.  It's been mostly mild, wet and not very bright.  However if we were to get a spell of colder weather with the prospects of something wintry then we might just dig it out of the 'worst winter' bag and hoist it up a few places.  A bit weary now though, at the start of winter your enthusiasm is raring to go, you look at FI charts 15 days out and get excited (esp prior to xmas).... now it takes something genuine to show under 3 days before I sniff interest.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
14 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

In some ways I'm not sure this winter deserves a wintry sting to it's tale.  It's been mostly mild, wet and not very bright.  However if we were to get a spell of colder weather with the prospects of something wintry then we might just dig it out of the 'worst winter' bag and hoist it up a few places.  A bit weary now though, at the start of winter your enthusiasm is raring to go, you look at FI charts 15 days out and get excited (esp prior to xmas).... now it takes something genuine to show under 3 days before I sniff interest.

Fully agreed, there is a time in every winter when I want it to end and the longer days of spring and summer to arrive and whatever weather we've already had, that day usually come around mid to late February.

i'll happily put up with a week or so of frost and snow in the coming days but, after the extended monsoon our region has endured, I for one want warm a and dry March and April and will gladly sacrifice the chances of a late winter to get it.

• Like 2

Posted

Its the weekend - oh yes and its raining yet again.. a long chain of wet weekends. Its also quite a cold day temps around 6 degrees, average yes, but it feels very unpleasant. Tomorrow looks equally wet. Early next week though should bring some clearer drier sunnier conditions with temps near average and a bit of frost.

Talk of last chance saloon for snow, far too premature I feel, March can deliver surprising decent snowy goods, yes can be transitional, but its a good month for seeing northerly and easterly intrusions and the classic atlantic/continental breakdowns. April likewise can throw a northerly surprise out of the bag when you least expect it.. look at the number of switcharounds we've had in many a year. 2008 was a very good examples two snowfalls one on Easter Day and one on 6 April on the back of a largely snowless very mild winter.

But I agree by about mid March its very difficult to see snow sticking on low ground for any lengthy periods, you need a bit of height and a very cloudy usually easterly feed..

The long term prospects for some sustained cold early - mid March and perhaps a decent snowfall look quite high in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very wet morning! Dried up over the last hour so can get out with the dogs. Chilly day with a max around 7c so far. Cold weather next week?! :p 

Posted

Dreich (Old Scots origin) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dreich%20(Old%20Scots%20origin)

A combination of dull, overcast, drizzly, cold, misty and miserable weather. At least 4 of the above adjectives must apply before the weather is truly dreich

Nearly all ticked off, well maybe apart from the cold...at 7c it could be colder.  Still dreich though.

My weekend mood will be slightly enhanced if Latics manage to hold on for a rare win... currently 2-1 against Gillingham.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

The latest models are showing a snowfest end of next week. Hopefully, fingers crossed it will still verifies by Wednesday. But I think downgrades expected as usual.

Posted
17 minutes ago, pip22 said:

The latest models are showing a snowfest end of next week. Hopefully, fingers crossed it will still verifies by Wednesday. But I think downgrades expected as usual.

I am sure it will verify as I am driving from Bacup to Surrey on Saturday morning to see my mum and on my return am looking after my neighbour's horses so we will probably have 2ft of snow and horrendous ice like 2013!

Posted
3 hours ago, shadowfax said:

I am sure it will verify as I am driving from Bacup to Surrey on Saturday morning to see my mum and on my return am looking after my neighbour's horses so we will probably have 2ft of snow and horrendous ice like 2013!

It won't snow in Bacup next weekend as I'm not away.

i'm on holiday for a few days in early June so it looks like a late, late wintry blast could be on the way then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Another day but the same overcast wet theme! Not as heavy as yesterday but annoying light rain/drizzle. Next week looking good for some drier weather and quite chilly. 

• Like 1

Posted

In the mild air at the moment, 11c will feel fresher later as 'cooler' weather digs south, thankfully it's looking dry most of next week, so no 'cold rain' to deal with.