Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Already down to  2.1°C here. Should hopefully get an air frost tonight. 

Max yesterday was 8.1°C, today only  6.6°C. min  this morning was 2.5°C. Last air frost was on the 17th.  Fun fact:  I am pretty sure the last ice day here was on Christmas Day 2010. 

Posted

Might catch a snow shower late afternoon tomorrow, thanks to a trough feature moving through from the North, whilst the band will move through at the warmest point of the day - the extra heat would be enough to trigger deeper convection meaning heavier precipitation and greater chance of snow than rain. We shall see.

In the meantime plenty of frost ahead, we had a good air frost last night, its below freezing here now already, so another lovely crisp blue sky start to the day ahead.

Late February often delivers such conditions, its a bankable period for generally calm dry weather.. indeed it can be one of the driest periods of the year in the Lake District on a par with early-mid September. Good for winter walking - indeed fells will be a great place to be over coming days, but perhaps marred by a cold east wind later in the week and generally more overcast skies making for a very raw feel.

If this was early Dec- early Feb period we probably wouldn't be too far off recording ice days, alas we haven't a deep cold injection of arctic air, so it could be better cold temp wise than it is had we colder air to our north, more 1-3 degree maxes rather than 4-6 degree maxes. Still it does look like a protracted colder than average spell of weather ahead..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, carl1980 said:

Just got to 0.0c clear sky full moon with Jupiter shining next to it

There's still a bit of a Westerly  component to the wind so i'm 2c warmer here at the coast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

-2.7C here with clear skies. A weather station owned by a friend of ours less than half a mile away is currently at 0C. Just shows what living in a frost hollow can do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Looks like a cold one tonight. Its freezing out 

Posted

Temp  plummeting now 0.8°C 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

1c here, looked out the window and it's cloudy and the ground is wet! Radar shows showers passing through about an hour ago.  It was -1.3c when I went to bed and obviously negative dew points and 850's around -7c when the showers came through, should have been snow but assuming it just rained with the wet ground!! How..!!?? :wallbash:

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 3

Posted

Snow incoming on the radar, heading for Preston and if it keeps going it will hopefully make it to Bacup, although I am at work in Bury!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Just had a snow flurry here.  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Very slight dusting here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms
13 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Just had a snow flurry here.  :)

It is a good job I woke up early enough to watch it falling.  :)

• Like 1

Posted

Dark clouds to my west and north. I wonder what would bring??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Oh right people reporting snow, i see Pip mentioning snow. Its just been frosty here and now melting. Ive just spotted this in the LEP

Mark White

NW motorway police patrol attending 1 car crash on the M55 westbound at junction one. Lane three closed at present. Motorists asked to slow down in this area as snow is also starting to fall.

6m

Posted

Min of -1.6°C overnight, already  2°C now though, so it's rain all the way, that is if we can get any  Precip  which I doubt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just had a snow flurry here about 20 mins ago just after i posted before. Suns back out, doesnt seem cold enough to me

Posted

Oh lovely. Light rain;  just what I always wanted. 

Posted

Moderate sleet

Posted

Got to -3'c overnight in the Peaks, despite the sunshine there looks to be some snow-showers piling in from the Fylde coast moving in this direction. Could catch a few people out who otherwise were expecting to be enjoying a blue-sky walk around the moorlands, I was due to be walking around the Roaches myself today but saw the radar and now it's doubtful.