Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much thunder activity in the area of rain to the SW, but apparently there is some hail in it. Will be interesting...

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Wait for it.. Will it won't it it's gaining some oomph!

Hmm, yes, hopefully we can get at least some hail. Well we'll soon see as it's darkening over, and precip. looks imminent. Sadly I think the heaviest area of precipitation will go north of here.

Posted

Just rain at the moment. A shame, but then the heaviest area of precipitation hasn't reached me yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Got ac cas here, don't know if that means thing might build before those fronts or not though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! Told yu right over my head too world class :yahoo:

@Surrey must have been this one? Let's hope this is the start of many? Enjoy! :smile:

2016-03-29 17.05.34.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

just rain here, looks dark over MK

Posted
23 minutes ago, Surrey said:

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!! Told yu right over my head too world class :yahoo:

Oh, I'm all jealous now, your so lucky! Any hail in Thorpe?

5 minutes ago, Rain123 said:

Oh, I'm all jealous now, your so lucky! Any hail in Thorpe?

Nah non, just rain and that lightning strike was positive, people on my Facebook closer too it said the thunder shook the windows!! 

EDIT: reports of power cut to in the local vicinity to that strike too coming in now 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Nah non, just rain and that lightning strike was positive, people on my Facebook closer too it said the thunder shook the windows!! 

Wow, didn't even hear it here! No sign of any convective activity here; the rain isn't even that heavy.

Edited by Rain123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

You must have friends in high places @Surrey as it's looking like the only lightening strike this afternoon was over the top of you! (OK, I'm just jealous :)).

The intensity of the rain echoes on the radar have decreased in the last hour, but with the rain only just started here, it's looking very wet for the next couple of hours. Enjoyed today though; plenty of sunshine but with some interesting cumulus clouds around giving the occasional sharp shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, Surrey said:

Well that single massive lightning flash has taken out all the signalling on the Windsor train line, huge delays/cancellations etc. Must have been a powerful strike!

Posted
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well that single massive lightning flash has taken out all the signalling on the Windsor train line, huge delays/cancellations etc. Must have been a powerful strike!

Must have been a positive strike, quite rare I believe. Did you see it; was it Cloud to Ground? Presumably it was. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The triangulation on this map is always out by a small margin, but that indeed, was a +CG

2016-03-29.png

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Deffo positive strike from what people are saying on Facebook that it "banged" then rumbled or something it hent up..

Oh, such a shame I didn't hear it in the distance.

3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The triangulation on this map is always out by a small margin, but that indeed, was a +CG

2016-03-29.png

Oh, cheers. Just heard from South West Trains that is struck railway signalling equipment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
17 minutes ago, Rain123 said:

Must have been a positive strike, quite rare I believe. Did you see it; was it Cloud to Ground? Presumably it was. 

Yes I saw it, it made me jump because it was so bright! Was a massive flash, seemed a bit orange/yellow. Couldn't tell if intra-cloud or cg. Expected immediate thunder but it took a second or two; there was a bang, then a crumple type noise followed by a really loud booming rumble. Shame only one strike though judging by the travel chaos it's caused around here probably just as well.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
29 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes I saw it, it made me jump because it was so bright! Was a massive flash, seemed a bit orange/yellow. Couldn't tell if intra-cloud or cg. Expected immediate thunder but it took a second or two; there was a bang, then a crumple type noise followed by a really loud booming rumble. Shame only one strike though judging by the travel chaos it's caused around here probably just as well.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Had one here a couple of years back, the one I saw was blue in colour, but the thunder was the loudest I've ever heard. Sounded similar to what you describe apart from it banged twice, the second was quieter thank goodness.

Another fine start to the day 

Would love to know a total of the amount of rain fallen over my little part of the world in the last 5 days bet it's crazy!!

Today another risk of showers, although the risk is low but they could be a little potent 

After that, it looks and I can't belive it, the weekend looks okay weather-wise and infact high pressure looks to come back into charge.

Rember, with everyday that goes by now, we gain around 3-4 minutes of extra daylight and warmth from the sun

COME ON SUMMER!! 

• Like 1