Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I think, having lived by the sea and living somewhere that is always windy, I slept through it all, hubs tells me it was very noisy outside but i don't remember any of it. 

I think a bin went over us there is some rubbish is blowing about , but I can't see any damage to speak of anywhere at the moment.

Just a normal rainy, bedford breeze day now -if I see anything wintry I'd be happy.:D

Posted

Well I have lived through 87 90 and the period of 13/14 winter, Katie for me beats all the rest bar the 87 & 90. The intensity of the wind over a constant period was amazing. The fact that I am 500 plus ft above see level. At my mums in sanderstead. It was ferocious and constant had me window twitching. This was a proper storm which has caused power outages ok not a great deal of damage which is most important part no loss of life as well, power outages in spring from a proper south westerly storm. Awesome. A request now can we have a period of calm and warm weather please like Friday.... I remember my dad telling the story of a heatwave on good Friday and snow by Monday it was snowing. Rather like this year really 

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up and nothing s moved in the garden. We have woods behind us and all good. Heard some wind during the night but def no 87/90 as some thought.

The biggest difference between 87 and many other storms is that there were leaves on the trees and saturated ground = many lost trees.

Just another windy night here in North Kent 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
19 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Well I have lived through 87 90 and the period of 13/14 winter, Katie for me beats all the rest bar the 87 & 90. The intensity of the wind over a constant period was amazing. The fact that I am 500 plus ft above see level. At my mums in sanderstead. It was ferocious and constant had me window twitching. This was a proper storm which has caused power outages ok not a great deal of damage which is most important part no loss of life as well, power outages in spring from a proper south westerly storm. Awesome. A request now can we have a period of calm and warm weather please like Friday.... I remember my dad telling the story of a heatwave on good Friday and snow by Monday it was snowing. Rather like this year really 

Still not as bad as the October 2000 or 02 storms in my opinion which are by some distant the most violent storms I can recall with 80-90mph gusts inland, as I was less then a year old when the 87 storm struck and still only 3 or 4 when the 1990 storm hit I can't remember them, but about 4am to 8 this morning was certainly on a par with the peak of the St' Jude storm but much longer lasting. If this had been when trees where still in leaf the damage would have been significantly worse.

Posted

Just when I thought things might be dying down a bit, we've just had a 65mph gust here in Mid Suffolk. The wind over the living room chimney is howling and the power lines at the front of the house are shrieking.

Strongest winds here for several years - I'm amazed we still have power.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rezillo said:

Just when I thought things might be dying down a bit, we've just had a 65mph gust here in Mid Suffolk. The wind over the living room chimney is howling and the power lines at the front of the house are shrieking.

Strongest winds here for several years - I'm amazed we still have power.

Maybe a freak squall line, the general winds seem to have eased off here in the last hour or so still blustery though. I think Norfolk will be experiencing the worst of it now as the storm passes out into the North-Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Maybe not as bad as some, but Katie has packed quite a punch. The critical difference with '87 is that this morning's set-up didn't allow a sting jet to develop in the tail wrap-around. But what a tangle of fronts and troughs circulating around Katie:

Met Off Fax Chart 06.00 MetOff Fax Chart Mon28Mar 06.00.jpg

Met Off went for a central pressure of 971mb in their Fax Chart. At 10.00 the actual reading was 972mb, but it was probably a smidge lower earlier. Has anyone got an earlier observation?

XCweather Pressure chart at 10.08 Pressure Observation Mon28Mar 10.08.jpg

Arpege showing the worse of the winds will be off the East Anglian coast at 11.00. By 14.00 the worst has moved out into the North Sea.

11.00 ARPEGE Mon 0z Max Gusts Mon28Mar 11.00.png 14.00 ARPEGE Mon 0z Max Gusts Mon28Mar 14.00.png

Edited by Blessed Weather
P.S. I think Arpege out-performed the other models on this one!

Posted
3 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

Maybe a freak squall line, the general winds seem to have eased off here in the last hour or so still blustery though. I think Norfolk will be experiencing the worst of it now as the storm passes out into the North-Sea.

I thought that as well but it is still gusting to around 55-60mph and my mean wind speed chart is still rising. Must be near the peak, though.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Rezillo said:

I thought that as well but it is still gusting to around 55-60mph and my mean wind speed chart is still rising. Must be near the peak, though.

Maybe that means there's a 2nd wave of strong winds yet to come through here too, I think this is what a lot of the gust charts where predicting. The sting in the tail so to speak!

Posted
8 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:

Maybe that means there's a 2nd wave of strong winds yet to come through here too, I think this is what a lot of the gust charts where predicting. The sting in the tail so to speak!

Signs that the peak here may have been a few minutes ago.

At least we haven't reached the speeds of the neighbour's built-in weather gauge - at 80mph, their garage clay pantiles peel off and fly down the garden, which has happened three times since we've lived here.

Edited by Rezillo
  • Like 1

Posted

It's picking up here again now just as my dad has gone out into the garden to try and put the fence back up, I think he's wasting his time lol

Posted
5 hours ago, Mal Kapadia said:

More damage here than any of the storms in the last 3 years. 

Tend to agree with you, it was by far the noisiest storm I remember  compared to previous storms, with the house shaking and seemed to keep on going; couldn't sleep until nearly 6am. Local weather station showing highest gust of 74 kph, second highest of past four years, highest being November 2015, and then equal to March 2015. However sustained high wind speeds seemed to have been of longer duration compared with previously. Our fence panels are down again, and the neighbour's scaffolding is thankfully still in tact however they have lost a lot of the plastic sheeting around it - wonder where it all is! 

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

It's quite exposed here, and Katie kept me awake all night! My neighbours trampoline blew over (it's only the 3rd time in about 5 years it's done that). Its strange, it seemed to calm down for a while, and then get stronger for a while. BBC Showing a squall-line like feature for tomorrow, passing over me at around 1700, so will keep my eye on that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Katie was noisy but nothing overly dramatic here, pretty indistinguishable from the numerous storms and squalls of the last few winters. Seems areas S and E of London copped it worse? Much less windy now though still gusty but with some welcome sunny spells.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
7 hours ago, leedsnowfan said:

Havent slept yet :( ....anyone notice ramp up in wind speed for SE from 8-9am??

Nope I was asleep ended up maxing out at 84. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, Essex Easterly said:

Crikey just woken up to a load bang! Looked outside and a bottle bank has arrived from God knows where, there's an almighty dent in a blue fiesta outside and my bedroom window is flexing like mad,  safe to say I'm no longer in bed next to said window :nea:

Feel sorry for the owner of the fiesta, what a thing to wake up to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Very windy here this morning, and pretty wet as well with some sleet, but I don't think we've had it as bad this far north as those in the SE corner.

Posted

Definitely the strongest storm IMBY we've seen for a number of years, some damage to my fence at least it is still upright. It sure did howl between 0600-0800.

car alarms going off adds to the trepidation. :D If the sting jet materialised it would have been a very nasty storm for this inland location.

Storm Katie has a beautiful structure bright and sunny now as she trundles across North Sea.

image.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Fair to say that this afternoon feels like a completely different day. Lots of sunshine and just a moderate westerly breeze now. 

Given the wild weather thrown at us, it is fair to say that we have got rather lucky with the main events occurring late on Saturday and early Monday morning with most of the time having usable weather as long as you avoided the showers on Sunday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful sunny afternoon- what a difference to the heavy wet snow falling earlier.

Storm Katie pretty unnoticed around this neck of the woods. No one talking about it and nothing that this windy country hasn't seen a million times over before. 

Looks like Kent had a few fence panels down though and some power outages 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Saw 10-12 trees down on my drive down to Winchelsea/Pett level where the sea had stripped the sea shingle wall down to it's concrete footings in places. One large tree down in Rye which had just scraped the side of a newly built house, just taking the corner of the roof down from what I saw. Lines down across the road in Wittersham, no one on scene to sort them out around lunchtime earlier. 

A nice hail shower here earlier as well :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Heavy showers passing through after a few hours of warm-ish sun. Wind has dropped to a regular breeze.