Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Was just about to post that image, Ravelin. Looks a lot different to the same time from this mornings 06z.

GFSOPEU06_240_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 minute ago, marksiwnc said:

Ian f did say that there could be a few windy spells before the transition. this could be what he had in mind maybe?? 

I'm no expert, but it could be possible. Experience says though that when the GFS blows a low up that quickly then more often than not it tempers it down quite a bit on the next model run.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

The general theme is okay though with the pattern becoming increasingly amplified in line with some of our resident experts expectations.

Yep, the detail will change but for now theme is great. Look at the block to the NE on this run!!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Massive Siberian / Scandy high in FI maybe!!! Can't post pics sorry.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But should it swing SE, it might turn into a 'snow hurricane'? What's more it might end up in the North Sea...So, on balance, a good outlook still...:cc_confused:

"swinging" into these mild uppers I doubt even Scotland would manage snow .....

22 nov.png

23 nov.png

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

The TD/possible hurricane still showing around day 10 on ecm op and para heading n through Cuba. 

If that were to verify and eject into the n Atlantic, I wonder how much it would affect the ec46 run from today for weeks 3 and 4.   Would guess it will hang over any output from the suite as being questionable until it can take the input on board which could be next Tuesdays output. 

The GFS Greenland tip dartboard low was on both the ecm op and para 00z to some degree.  The Atlantic profile not too different on gfs 12z v ecm 00z for T228

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, That ECM said:

Yep, the detail will change but for now theme is great. Look at the block to the NE on this run!!!!

Yup perfect opportunity for retrograde pattern to set up if we got something like this. 

Let's hope we see the blocking theme continues.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Very decent polar stratospheric profile as well.

EDIT : already pointed in the genius's post directly above!

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

"swinging" into these mild uppers I doubt even Scotland would manage snow .....

22 nov.png

Sorry, my bad...I mean, once it's passed to through North Scotty, it'll do two things: it'll pull-down cold northerlies on its western flank, and it'll get mixed up with whatever air is on the near-Continent...?

But, assuming it'll end-up wherever it's needed least - don't they all? - it doesn't matter, anyway: winter is still only ten days' old!:good:

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

I will gladly take this run over the 6z which blew all the cold air from the western Russia away.

Great for your country but not the UK unfortunately.  This is a perfect example of how blocking and a disturbed PV doesn't always = cold.   This scenario has us mild and dry.  We would be seriously unlucky if this happened though ie the block is over us.    Ultimately the cold from eastern Europe could back west with time but it would require a trigger.  Glad to see the disturbed vortex still showing. As has been said many times this week... its a lottery,    but at least this year we have a ticket!

25 nov.png26nov.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Great for your country but not the UK unfortunately.  This is a perfect example of how blocking and a disturbed PV doesn't always = cold.   This scenario has us mild and dry.  We would be seriously unlucky if this happened though ie the block is over us.    Ultimately the cold from eastern Europe could back west with time but it would require a trigger.  Glad to see the disturbed vortex still showing. As has been said many times this week... its a lottery,    but at least this year we have a ticket!

25 nov.png26nov.png

I would take that as a starting point for winter as from there the opportunities are plentiful.

• Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

To add that I dont recall one gfs op having this feature so we can't even see what a run might do with the extra energy coming into the basin. 

Its on the gem 12z

I don't think GFS has, but I haven't checked ENS. EC toyed with it; e.g. as per the low probs shown in the 00z tropical cyclone activity prognosis further into the month:

Capture.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Doesn't look 'mild' to me from those Theta-W's and an inevitably quite chilly E/SE boundary layer flow...?

Yes, I think though some people on here wrongly (including myself) refer to anything other than a setup that can bring snow (ie, surface cold with a front moving over it or convective setup with circa -10c uppers) as mild!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, I think though some people on here wrongly (including myself) refer to anything other than a setup that can bring snow (ie, surface cold with a front moving over it or convective setup with circa -10c uppers) as mild!

Gotcha. Yup, admittedly not 'cold' as many on here might define the word. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

To add that I dont recall one gfs op having this feature so we can't even see what a run might do with the extra energy coming into the basin. 

Its on the gem 12z

Of course it's all about timing and phasing regarding potential mT mixing with the mP flow so no way to know. As far as I can make out it could just as easily aid blocking attempts to our NW as inhibit them.

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Of course it's all about timing and phasing regarding potential mT mixing with the mP flow so no way to know. As far as I can make out it could just as easily aid blocking attempts to our NW as inhibit them.

When did BA ever mention it would lead to mild? He said it would add uncertainty!! Haha! Very defensive strange comment

Posted
4 hours ago, bluearmy said:

The bias corrected gefs is continually building heights to our ne in comparison to the non BC mean later week 2

Do I detect (all be it very slightly) a movement towards this solution on the standard GEFS (12z) and how does this tie in (or not) with Stewart's (albeit later) theory of a Mid Atlantic /Greenland ridge?