Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Nice way to start the weekend. Strong block NE and hints of blocking to the NW as well...

image.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Nice way to start the weekend. Strong block NE and hints of blocking to the NW as well...

image.png

I was just going to post that, it'll be interesting to see where the GFS take it from there, especially that low over Greenland. Overall it's better than the GFS 6z at the same time frame I'd say.

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
13 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

it'll be interesting to see where the GFS take it from there, especially that low over Greenland.

Basically it ends up to the north of the UK, going nowhere fast against the block to the East. Be nicer if it managed to dive south.

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
23 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Nice looking UKMO 144 as far as Polar heights go and chilly NW flow

UN144-21.GIF?11-17

Wouldn't take much tweaking to develop a cold pattern.

Yes, the 17th November once again showing up as the key timeframe for start of another nationwide chilly interlude, perhaps? The 528DAM line is as far south as the North Midlands by then as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 12z op run shows fleeting mild interludes, generally associated with spells of wet and windy weather but it's mainly on the chilly side and feeling more like winter at times, particularly for scotland with reloads of polar maritime air from the northwest, especially later next week with night frosts and occasionally wintry showers with snow on northern hills, especially across the NW.

ukmaxtemp.png

hgt500-1000.png

hgt500-1000 (1).png

hgt500-1000 (2).png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

hgt500-1000 (4).png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Some very tasty looking output tonight especially the ukmo at 144. Gfs none too shabby either. And with the updates we are getting from Ian f and the signs from the models we don't get too see I think we could be looking at some very nice fi charts in the not too distant future. Exciting times ahead if you like the cold. 

• Like 7

Posted

Broadly speaking, the modelling in fi carves out a decent European upper trough. however the scecuro blocking (supported from Russian block) needs to become cut off (becoming a scrussian one) to provide a proper wintry solution. otherwise the best we likely see is a cold continental surface feed.

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Broadly speaking, the modelling in fi carves out a decent European upper trough. however the scecuro blocking (supported from Russian block) needs to become cut off (becoming a scrussian one) to provide a proper wintry solution. otherwise the best we likely see is a cold continental surface feed.

I get the feeling the longer range models are suggesting the jet travelling on a SE axis and eventually that huge block moves westwards blue.

I'm not detecting any slowdown of the Atlantic now to be honest - any potential north/north wester at the end of next week looks transitory as it stands..:)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
27 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I get the feeling the longer range models are suggesting the jet travelling on a SE axis and eventually that huge block moves westwards blue.

I'm not detecting any slowdown of the Atlantic now to be honest - any potential north/north wester at the end of next week looks transitory as it stands..:)

I think it'll be at least a three-day spell as things stand and being as by then it'd be the 20th November (darkest FI after that, basically unforecastable), I do not see any reason to be getting worried about the return of Southwesterlies for instance. Bring it on! I won't be up to much NWP output watching this weekend as they'll probably be all over the place as per usual.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I can see where you're coming from after reviewing this afternoon's model output, but we've also got to remember the more positive news about the background signals and the "bigger picture". 

Im just glad it's only 11th November and winter hasn't even started yet! Plenty of time :-)

• Like 6

Hi all great model watching so far this autumn.. and i know we all look for trends at T240 and most cold spells are seen coming so was wondering has there been a cold snap or cold spell that just popped up out of know where....say T72 i know we had the infamous Ian Brown What The F**k moment in 2013 but other than that and if so would be interesting to see how it evolved and set up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

There are for sure 'pointers' ahead but I think we are a way yet from seeing detail.  I have a feeling over next 5 days we will see some swings of outcomes.....with a theme in common.  Blocking, potential and some screamers.

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

There are for sure 'pointers' ahead but I think we are a way yet from seeing detail.  I have a feeling over next 5 days we will see some swings of outcomes.....with a theme in common.  Blocking, potential and some screamers.

BFTP

I'm just pleased for now that we will have a generally NW / SE jet axis with regular incursions of polar maritime airmass and all being well this will be followed by height rises to the w / nw with lowering heights transferring to the NE..I must say, things are looking much better for coldies longer term than last year when we were faced with a rampant polar vortex throwing low after low our way for months on end.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
On 08/11/2016 at 22:21, Ali1977 said:
Just now, Frosty. said:

I'm just pleased for now that we will have a NW / SE jet axis with regular incursions of polar maritime airmass and all being well this will be followed by height rises to the w / nw with lowering heights transferring to the NE.

ECM is a banker @144

ECH1-144.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Little change from the start of the week, where the models were showing a period of mobility within the background of the omnipresent quasi-blocks of a Russian & Azores Highs. They are bunching the lower heights to the NW and this meanders towards the UK, directed by the upper flow. So slow moving mobility from a general NW-W direction with frontal systems the main threat of precipitation within that vortex as it warms out on its slow crossing.

Therefore the next 10 days or so showing a milder flow preceding the cooler uppers that roll in as the vortex moves towards the UK. Then, after around D10 the GEFS have been playing around with height rises, as the PV relaxes as a driver in our quadrant; all to varying degrees: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=360

Not much instruction from FI on the GEFS, and with other variables that have been pinpointed by the more knowledgeable on here, little point in getting too hung up on current output at that range, but reasonably confidence this upcoming unsettled spell will be short lived.

Dr Cohen's update earlier this week also suggesting even the experts feel this setup is unprecedented, so anything is possible going forward: https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Little change from the start of the week, where the models were showing a period of mobility within the background of the omnipresent quasi-blocks of a Russian & Azores Highs. They are bunching the lower heights to the NW and this meanders towards the UK, directed by the upper flow. So slow moving mobility from a general NW-W direction with frontal systems the main threat of precipitation within that vortex as it warms out on its slow crossing.

Therefore the next 10 days or so showing a milder flow preceding the cooler uppers that roll in as the vortex moves towards the UK. Then, after around D10 the GEFS have been playing around with height rises, as the PV relaxes as a driver in our quadrant; all to varying degrees: http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=360

Not much instruction from FI on the GEFS, and with other variables that have been pinpointed by the more knowledgeable on here, little point in getting too hung up on current output at that range, but reasonably confidence this upcoming unsettled spell will be short lived.

Dr Cohen's update earlier this week also suggesting even the experts feel this setup is unprecedented, so anything is possible going forward: https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation

Erm basing your forecasts on the gfs one then yes fair enough but you can see how the ecm even at t144 thinks quite differently. In fact going by the update earlier today this time next wk we could well be looking down the barrel of a long cold spell with cyclonic weather systems sitting on the UK... cold uppers/low pressure= zonal westerly? No 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Erm basing your forecasts on the gfs one then yes fair enough but you can see how the ecm even at t144 thinks quite differently. In fact going by the update earlier today this time next wk we could well be looking down the barrel of a long cold spell with cyclonic weather systems sitting on the UK... cold uppers/low pressure= zonal westerly? No 

Reading IDO's post, I don't think he was suggesting a lengthy zonal westerly dominated period. Rather, a brief transitional pattern of unsettled weather before the outputs suggest a move towards a cool/cold NW flow towards the end of next week, which is 7-10 days away.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just a quick one from me...have guest's

"UNDERCUT ALERT" on the ecm @ 240.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The Ecm 12z isn't as cold as the 00z from next midweek looking at the 850 upper profile.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Pretty good backing for the ECM from JMA, interesting.

JN192-21.GIF?11-12

Edit.

Just to elaborate.

Jet digging Southeast increased upstream amplification. Will be interesting to see if it can force some undercut of the Atlantic ridge in the extended run later.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4