Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
21 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

I don't think GFS has, but I haven't checked ENS. EC toyed with it; e.g. as per the low probs shown in the 00z tropical cyclone activity prognosis further into the month:

Capture.JPG

For the likes of us with no access to the suites you have, the NOAA TC genesis site can help. There's a looping facility to check and compare the models on a day to day basis. Runs only as far as +168 but there's big divergence with what they forecast for this.

The UKMO along with CMC show a strongish system by day seven.

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

ukm2.2016111700.168.lant.troplant.prp.fc

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Do I detect (all be it very slightly) a movement towards this solution on the standard GEFS (12z) and how does this tie in (or not) with Stewart's (albeit later) theory of a Mid Atlantic /Greenland ridge?

I think it just adds to the likely more amplified solutions that have now indeed begun to appear in the fi gfs ops. whether the Siberian ridge extension becomes the driver or indeed a mid Atlantic ridge would currently be uncertain. trying to pin down the pattern for weeks 2 and 3 currently looks very tough apart from the amplified trend which could easily begin to reduce over the next couple days output. just good for coldies that we are chasing solutions like this before winter actually begins. you wont actually see a gfs op winter chart modelled until next tuesday !

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

One post being argumentative has been removed.Please use the pm system if you wish to continue-not in here,Thanks. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Bias corrected gefs for the end of the run

IMG_4591.PNG

I actually think I would prefer the Greenland route to cold (normally prefer the Easterly), ive just been through the first 10 of the BC perbs and only p5 offers any high chance of a route to deep cold in the near future after that, yes I know its about the bigger picture but at some point we need to start firing something other than blanks before the Gun is taken off us and we go back to zonality, you would think (given the synoptical chart) that we would have at least seen some ens on the graph flatlining somewhere near to -10 850hpa temps by now.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I actually think I would prefer the Greenland route to cold (normally prefer the Easterly), ive just been through the first 10 of the BC perbs and only p5 offers any high chance of a route to deep cold in the near future after that, yes I know its about the bigger picture but at some point we need to start firing something other than blanks before the Gun is taken off us and we go back to zonality, you would think (given the synoptical chart) that we would have at least seen some ens on the graph flatlining somewhere near to -10 850hpa temps by now.

I don't believe the individual perturbs shown are bias corrected  - the correction is made on the mean at then end

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Is that not a wave 3 with the heights into Greenland also?

It's still joined to the vortex in scandi quadrant.If it detaches I'd have said 3 way.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, joggs said:

It's still joined to the vortex in scandi quadrant.If it detaches I'd have said 3 way.

It is still a wave though, this is subjective really dependent on what height and horizontal size you actually call a wave.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, Nouska said:

For the likes of us with no access to the suites you have, the NOAA TC genesis site can help. There's a looping facility to check and compare the models on a day to day basis. Runs only as far as +168 but there's big divergence with what they forecast for this.

The UKMO along with CMC show a strongish system by day seven.

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/

ukm2.2016111700.168.lant.troplant.prp.fc

Reference to the possible TD development, not in reply to Nouska's post.

Well with that track, *if it develops*, interacting with Cuba's mountains may well pick the storm to pieces. Not even up for discussion at NHC from what I can see. Incredible to even be talking of sorm development so late on. 

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Bias corrected gefs for the end of the run

IMG_4591.PNG

That is a remarkable chart, BA. A serious punt for a Scandi High there. Will be interesting to see the ECM ens later as I don't believe it showed anything like this earlier.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I even found a GEFS 12z perturbation with a Scandinavian high and cold air spreading across the uk..so, all sorts of possibilities which very much include polar / arctic maritime and easterlies too..potential is bubbling up nicely as we can almost sniff winter before us.:santa-emoji:

11_330_850tmp.png

11_330_500mb.png

14_384_850tmp.png

• Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

That is a remarkable chart, BA. A serious punt for a Scandi High there. Will be interesting to see the ECM ens later as I don't believe it showed anything like this earlier.

With 51 members, the extended eps won't show a mean like that!

ian might be able to advise if there are any such clusters though

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

There is a very very slight indication of a scandi high way down the line on the ECM mean 240 chart.

Posted
35 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There is a very very slight indication of a scandi high way down the line on the ECM mean 240 chart.

Looking at the extended, I suspect there must be a scrussian ridge cluster. Also, this run brings back the w European upper trough which drifts slowly east and finally offers a split jet off the eastern seaboard late on. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean indicates a colder trend later next week from the NW with showers turning to snow on northern hills.

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

With the NAO set to go negative again shortly, a very disrupted PV, Most longer ranges cold and stratospheric warming, I see cold potential right the way through December and possibly the end of November.  exciting times indeed.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Fergie - any word on latest EC monthly?! 

After 10 I think, possibly around 10.30, ive never heard an update before 10pm.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

The Arctic High sniffing around in the later stages of the GFS Ens at 12z is of particular interest, as far as model thread drama goes you cannot ask for much more than the original pantomime villain rearing his head for winter...

• Like 9