Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 06z 04/11/16

phil nw.

Posted

Chilly but nothing special late next week from the 06z, by Sunday's it's actually quite mild.

IMG_3496.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

After a build up similar to the  anticipation post Star Wars we end up with a bit of a dud aka The Phantom Menace!

The operational  outputs are less amplified today and less enthusiastic about removing low heights from the north. 

The pattern in the USA however is still expected to amplify more next week and the ECM strat still shows weak zonal winds which means we might still see more changes back towards a colder solution .

I think we best give it a few more runs to see whether that might be the case.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.
21 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

NW / N:cold-emoji:

ecmt850.192.png

ecmt850.216.png

th.jpg

Hi Frosty, love reading your posts everyday and the models you post to explain what the models show. I'm hoping the weather eventually comes from a n/ne rather than a Nw direction as I find this never delivers anything down here in the SE corner. Things do look great though for us collides . Thanks also I.F for your time on posting in this forum to keep us updated . ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Have to say pretty uninspiring GFS 06z run - seems to be getting flatter, where are the projected height rises to the west/north west in 9/10 days time?...only 1 run though but hope it's not a growing trend.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfsgwo_1.png
I've been watching the GEFS plot for GLAAM/GWO fail time and time again to capture the actual behaviour; if the model had been correct two weeks ago we'd now be down in phase 1/2. If it had been correct a week ago we'd be in or near phase 8. Instead we're still hanging out in phase 5/6 which represents an El Nino-like state (never mind the La Nina SST state!). 

As GP explained in his excellent post two days ago, convective forcing should see us in or near GWO phase 4 toward month's end, not 1 or 2. So I'm not expecting GFS/GEFS to be sniffing out the right configurations for blocking and troughs beyond about a week's range.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Have to say pretty uninspiring GFS 06z run - seems to be getting flatter, where are the projected height rises to the west/north west in 9/10 days time?...only 1 run though but hope it's not a growing trend.

It's a question of whether you trust the Gfs 6z more than the Ecm 00z..i don't ! 

P.S...thanks Siberian Xpress for your kind comments:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

It's a question of whether you trust the Ecm 00z more than the Gfs 6z.To quote Alan partridge..Ahhhaaa:D

P.S...thanks Siberian Xpress for your kind comments:)

Two runs a day vs 4 runs a day, I guess? I generally prefer the 0z. I forget which of the two out of 4 GFS runs contain most data thought.

The 6z has gone against recent GFS ensemble trends and slightly backtracked on how many members are keeping Eastern Europe below average in the more unreliable time frame. It will be interesting to see if the 12z goes back to the 0z thoughts, backs the 06z or even goes in a different direction :-)

Certainly not boring though, is it?

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Two runs a day vs 4 runs a day, I guess? I generally prefer the 0z. I forget which of the two out of 4 GFS runs contain most data thought.

The 6z has gone against recent GFS ensemble trends and slightly backtracked on how many members are keeping Eastern Europe below average in the more unreliable time frame. It will be interesting to see if the 12z goes back to the 0z thoughts, backs the 06z or even goes in a different direction :-)

Certainly not boring though, is it?

I agree, it's certainly not boring, coldies are definitely in the game according to the latest models and longer range CFS & EC32..GloSea5..Mogreps etc:santa-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Carbon copy run from CFS today for December

cfs-4-12-2016.png?12

Some tasty uppers too coming in 4-6C below LTA

cfs-1-12-2016.png?12

Yes - consistency from the comedy model... but consistency is nevertheless consistency. The potential for a proper cold shot in December is growing. Still need luck to get the finer details right, but I'd say the Scottish Ski Centres are going to have a lot of ploughing to do in December with the projected trough sat over us.

For us soft southerners I'm still looking longer term than that for a retrogression of the Siberian high and the jet dropping far enough south to allow channel bumpers. Timescale difficult to pin down, but I think the wave 2 forecast of GP's is key in this regard as it maintaining the pacific ENSO disconnect between atmosphere and ocean. I'm guessing a bit here, but I'd go for a cold trough through until approximately the last third of December when perhaps retrogression may feature. Battleground snow ala Feb 1996 is what we want down here. :-)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
6 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yes - consistency from the comedy model... but consistency is nevertheless consistency. The potential for a proper cold shot in December is growing. Still need luck to get the finer details right, but I'd say the Scottish Ski Centres are going to have a lot of ploughing to do in December with the projected trough sat over us.

For us soft southerners I'm still looking longer term than that for a retrogression of the Siberian high and the jet dropping far enough south to allow channel bumpers. Timescale difficult to pin down, but I think the wave 2 forecast of GP's is key in this regard as it maintaining the pacific ENSO disconnect between atmosphere and ocean. I'm guessing a bit here, but I'd go for a cold trough through until approximately the last third of December when perhaps retrogression may feature. Battleground snow ala Feb 1996 is what we want down here. :-)

a guess... no no no no no :nonono:Sounds spot on to me, particularly your last couple of lines. If it comes off, I'll send a bottle of thank you very much to you :drunk-emoji:

Things still look good to me, no change in the theme, PV having a little rest back at base camp, then it's off on its travels again. We would have to consider ourselves extremely unlucky IMO, if we don't benefit from this setup at some point in the next 4 weeks from a coldies perspective. We've got a ticket, we just have to hope our seat isn't behind a pillar! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

gfsnh-12-96.png?6gfsnh-12-144.png?6gfsnh-12-186.png?6gfsnh-12-240.png?6gfsnh-12-288.png?6

Im finding it quite difficult to spot any trends in the output recently. Although blocking in the atlantic is set to weaken, there is a signal that it will start to reassert itself at day 8. 

It looks like we are going to see a week or so of atlantic weather, before blocking in the atlantic may well take over again.

gfsnh-12-276.png?6gfsnh-12-384.png?6

In the later frames of the GFS, there is a tendency for the low heights over Greenland to drop into southern central europe, and the siberian and atlantic blocks are set to merge, creating significantly blocked conditions for the UK.

gfsnh-12-360.pnggfsnh-12-324.png?12

The 00z an yesterday's 12z also showed this.

gfsnh-12-336.png?18gfsnh-5-336.png?18 

However the 18z had the block form too far east, leaving us in  a very mild and wet pattern.

It looks like the AO is going to dive negative after a short uptick, hopefully the block will setup in a favourable position for the UK

Capture.PNG

Edited by Zakos
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Perhaps slightly less good news on those AO forecasts - a few days ago, they were pretty much all showing negatives going forward, and there are a few there staying in positive territory...new trend? Or barking up the wrong tree?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
39 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

That last graphic,bottom right. OH MY :shok: BANK! @Catacol you've nailed it LOL

• Like 2

Posted

Last 7 days 2m temp anomaly

last7daysanom.png

Crazy to see how cold Scandinavia was.

Next 7 days 2m temp anomaly

next7dayscorrect.png

next 7 days.png

Edited by jvenge
delete duplicate image

Posted

Hopefully we'll soon start seeing some cold charts in FI. Ensembles from 6z leave a lot to be desired.  :) Too bad that the Scandinavia will warm up but I guess that was to be expected.

MT8_Prag_ens.png

Posted

I don't agree that the GEFS 06Z ensembles were poor. By the end (T384), more than 50% of the members had clear heights to our NW, N or NE and minor troughing to our S or SE. That's a recipe for cold and possibly snow - just a matter of time once we get to that position.

One has to bear in mind that, in recent winters, the ensembles have been almost unanimous in going against northern blocking in their latter stages (and correctly so).

Noteworthy that ECM ensemble solution of heights to the NE appears in quite a few GEFS members too.

• Like 4

Posted

Looking ahead, the GEFS 6z perturbations show lots of encouragement for those of us who like it cold!:cold-emoji:

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

4_192_850tmp.png

6_216_850tmp.png

15_192_850tmp.png

19_192_850tmp.png

2_384_850tmp.png

7_384_850tmp.png

8_384_850tmp.png

10_330_850tmp.png

11_360_850tmp.png