Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

Let's call a spade a spade, it's looking poor for coldies.Im seeing nothing in the NWP to suggest high lat blocking to force the jet South.In my opinion it's going to get quite stormy as we move closer to Christmas,  if anything the (absolutely useless) block to the east could actually cause flooding potential as the lows coming in slow down against the euro high.

Hopefully the jet will be far enough north to deflect systems away..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 minutes ago, mulzy said:

I'm hoping today is the nadir and that things get better from a NWP perspective going forward.  Time will tell as ever...

I don't think this is the nadir:)

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

And the EPS have gone very mild now as well.

No surprise there,we are going to need something to rattle that polar vortex or im fearing a very wet zonal spell over Christmas, oh joy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

No surprise there,we are going to need something to rattle that polar vortex or im fearing a very wet zonal spell over Christmas, oh joy.

For me xmas was gone a good while ago, I'm looking more towards Jan 5th-10th onwards wrt strat playing ball.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Let's call a spade a spade, it's looking poor for coldies.Im seeing nothing in the NWP to suggest high lat blocking to force the jet South.In my opinion it's going to get quite stormy as we move closer to Christmas,  if anything the (absolutely useless) block to the east could actually cause flooding potential as the lows coming in slow down against the euro high.

Hopefully the jet will be far enough north to deflect systems away..

That is spot on right there been saying this for ages that high is useless to the east, south east the quicker people learn that the better we need rid of this pattern asap hopefully to reset and unlock a better pattern were we can maybe get HLB.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
26 minutes ago, swilliam said:

Maybe in the medium term but not really in the longer term

gens-21-1-384.png

There are some very nice ones but much more variability though with a big swathe of yellows at or slightly higher than our latitudes.

gens-7-1-384.pnggens-22-1-384.png

Problem is it keeps staying at the +300 mark so nothing definite or you could say is trend. However it does show what is possible and if the majority showed raging zonality then we could be sure that would happen so this preferable.

gens-15-1-384.png

The mean 384 chart is pretty zonal, yes I know its a mean so you are not going to see a mean easterly at that range, but the ridge still needs to be further west and North to even start to get excited.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'm sorry, but one should not call one a pro that is not a pro. I can play football,to a pretty high standard and I understand the game more than most, but a professional I am not....people work extremely hard for that label. Knowledgeable or very knowledgeable enthusiast perhaps. Respect on the other hand must be mutual, or it doesn't work, regardless of opinion!

To my very unprofessional eyes, it looks like we are going to need to wait at least 10 days before we might get a sniff of any decent cold opportunities, GFS ensembles still giving us some hope in fl, ECM ensembles not looking so good 

IMG_4075.GIFIMG_4076.GIF

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'm sorry, but one should not call one a pro that is not a pro. I can play football,to a pretty high standard and I understand the game more than most, but a professional I am not....people work extremely hard for that label. Knowledgeable or very knowledgeable enthusiast perhaps 

To my very unprofessional eyes, it looks like we are going to need to wait at least 10 days before we might get a sniff of any decent cold opportunities, GFS ensembles still giving us some hope in fl, ECM ensembles not looking so good 

IMG_4075.GIFIMG_4076.GIF

Is the top part of the post meant for me as pro is a slang word for somebody who is very good  in the modern day social english phrase if you think im having a dig at any professional in the industry your well off the mark?

• Like 2

Posted

One of the dullest weather patterns I've seen in a long time

gfsnh-0-234.png

On the plus side, I've never seen.a weather pattern last for 3 months....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
29 minutes ago, booferking said:

That is spot on right there been saying this for ages that high is useless to the east, south east the quicker people learn that the better we need rid of this pattern asap hopefully to reset and unlock a better pattern were we can maybe get HLB.

Just having a quick look through the archives and can't really see any winter with such a high that registered a dramatic turnaround,suggesting it's a hard pattern to get out from. I'm wondering if we are stuck in a pattern of early 70s winters? Is it still the case that there are very rare things happening in the atmosphere that meteorologists couldn't recall having seen before....such as seemed to be the case a few weeks ago? If that is the case it would not be impossible for the sudden flip to take place and swamp Europe and then us with some decent cold

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, booferking said:

Is the top part of the post meant for me as pro is a slang word for somebody who is very good  in the modern day social english phrase if you think im having a dig at any professional in the industry your well off the mark?

Nope don't think your having a dig at any pro booferking, not at all. That's all I have to say about that. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Oh Hello what is the GFS Up to in FI -5 Isotherm down to south coast and snow showers for Scotland,NI,NW England

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

LOL GFS finishes with a countrywide snow event,its so far away I not going to post a chart.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
56 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

LOL GFS finishes with a countrywide snow event,its so far away I not going to post a chart.

C.S

The op is a massive outlier compared to its mean: gfs-0-384.pnggens-21-1-384.png

The GEFS mean is sinking the heights a bit more than they were a few days ago, but the overall pattern is similar, just the UK becoming more unsettled as the jet fires closer to the UK.

Looking at the GEFS very little sign of cold and the London ensemble 2m temps promoting average at worse temps:  

graphe6_1000_306_141___Londres (1).gif

No change to my thoughts that December is over for any real cold or snow.

Edited by IDO
I
  • Like 2

Posted

Today

A mainly fine day in England and Wales with quite a bit of sunshine, the exception being the far south west of both. Ireland with some patchy rain, perhaps clearing later. Scotland cloudy and wet a quite breezy in the north west. Temps again od the mild side. The next front due to arrive in the west before faltering.

1hourprecip_d02_9.png1hourprecip_d02_21.pngtemperature_d02_28.png

There are indications of some changes upstream vis the upper pattern this morning which have some knock on effect downstream and which result in the high pressure to the east perhaps being not quite so influential. The upstream changes involve losing the GOA ridge, the trough down the spine  N. America and the configuration of the vortex. Thus a much flatter flow across the States.

Back to the det. run and Friday still the Atlantic trough deconstructing against the block initiating a cut off upper low in the western Mediterranean and another surge NE of the Azores high pressure. The latter successfully thwarts the first attack from the complex upper trough but it has spread itself a bit thin and the next attack at T144 is more successful

gfs_uv250_natl_25.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_28.png

From here the trough is in charge until T240 and it generates quite a nasty looking  low in the process

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_36.png

So in a nutshell the weather for the UK Dry with high pressure in charge, apart from NW Scotland, until around the middle of next week when the trough takes over and the Atlantic swans in.and brings with some very wet and windy weather especially in the north.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

C.S

I will for fun! Although we both know any kind of meaningful analysis compared to the ensembles that far out is foolish. Just one outcome of many.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

GFS is absolutely dire this morning. Increasingly looking like the rest of this month is consigned to the dustbin.

Rhavn1801.gif

A message from the vortex : 'You can run, but you can't hide!'

• Like 3

Posted

Some   impressive examples of warm air being pumped north into the Arctic on both the gfs and ECM day 5 charts, high pressure also emerging from the Arctic to the north east forcing some frigid -30 uppers south towards Russia...be interesting to see how this develops over future runs..

Recm1441-1.gif

Rtavn1441-1.gif

Recm1682.gif

Edited by KTtom

Posted

That's one serious cold finger of air heading into Europe on the ECM, not helping us though unfortunately !!

IMG_3786.PNG

IMG_3787.PNG

• Like 2

Posted

As I mentioned last night models are firming up on a very unsettled run in to Christmas, particularly out West.

The Euro high is evaporating over time which is the good news this morning. Also bitter cold building out East. Anything could happen Christmas day so the jury is out for now

• Like 1