Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Well ECM. This is different. Look at the uppers into Europe at 192 and compare to GFS. Would happily take this!

ECM1-192 (1).gif

ECM0-192 (2).gif

gfs-0-192 (3).png

gfs-1-192 (1).png

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 3

Posted

Can't be often that the Ukraine is the home of the vortex  - a real chunk of vortex, not a old bit having floated about and been modified up to 12c!

anyway, perfect timing from the jet streak as many of the models seem content to open up Europe to that cold but alas, it won't get much further than the Black Sea ! (Unless the strength of the jet is mis modelled) 

that ecm post day 8 is open to quite a few questions anyway. IMO, there is a window of opportunity opening up for a post Xmas easterly. not that this is news but that cold Russian ridge seems happy to bide its time. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

People of Scotland, look away now!

Recm2161.gif

Vicious 940mb low giving the Shetlanders and far north a pasting. Wet and windy in the lead up to Xmas for all on the ECM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

People of Scotland, look away now!

Recm2161.gif

Vicious 940mb low giving the Shetlanders and far north a pasting. Wet and windy in the lead up to Xmas for all on the ECM.

Blizzards for Scotland as well looking at that chart.....

• Like 1

Posted

Xmas snow back on for the uk.:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

ECM1-240 (1).gif

ECM0-240 (3).gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can't be often that the Ukraine is the home of the vortex  - a real chunk of vortex, not a old bit having floated about and been modified up to 12c!

anyway, perfect timing from the jet streak as many of the models seem content to open up Europe to that cold but alas, it won't get much further than the Black Sea ! (Unless the strength of the jet is mis modelled) 

that ecm post day 8 is open to quite a few questions anyway. IMO, there is a window of opportunity opening up for a post Xmas easterly. not that this is news but that cold Russian ridge seems happy to bide its time. 

Yeah it amplifies to our North.. Hopefully the Atlantic ridge can link up to the Russian one..:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Wow, more like it!  ECM hinted the other day and I said that the way forward-ish would likely be the ECM and not GFS.  The slug is getting squished....long live the slug.  The Euro HP really has / is dominating and Pete Tonged outlooks for this part of Dec, but this is not a singular run where where deep trough gets over us to bring pM air to flood the UK around Xmas time.   It is for me the next 'watch' period and the 00z are bringing some interest.  I hope it builds momentum so that we have a chance of wintry weather 

Turnedoutniceagain......you forgot WALL OF SNOW!!! Lol

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Ick, that would bring me -20 on the 23rd if it were to verify.

Yep, -25 uppers for Chisinau?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Seasonality said:

Yep, -25 uppers for Chisinau?

Around that. Between -20 to -22 at 2m. A short lived affair by the looks of it though, luckily. At that temperature the elderly and animals will start dying.

None of the GEFS buying it though and you would have thought at just T216 a few would be showing it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
1 hour ago, Seasonality said:

Well ECM. This is different. Look at the uppers into Europe at 192 and compare to GFS. Would happily take this!

ECM1-192 (1).gif

ECM0-192 (2).gif

gfs-0-192 (3).png

gfs-1-192 (1).png

Why?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM finally rocks the boat and try's to break us out of the Euro slug type pattern.

That cold pool coming down to the east is phenomenal, coupled with the huge trough cutting through into Europe and we could potentially see a way better pattern evolve as we go forward.

only one run though so let's hope we see this type of pattern repeat in the models.

IMG_1555.PNG

IMG_1556.PNG

Edited by chris55
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
58 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Xmas snow back on for the uk.:santa-emoji::cold-emoji:

ECM1-240 (1).gif

ECM0-240 (3).gif

That would bring wet and windy weather, with some snow at elevation.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
39 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Wow, more like it!  ECM hinted the other day and I said that the way forward-ish would likely be the ECM and not GFS.  The slug is getting squished....long live the slug.  The Euro HP really has / is dominating and Pete Tonged outlooks for this part of Dec, but this is not a singular run where where deep trough gets over us to bring pM air to flood the UK around Xmas time.   It is for me the next 'watch' period and the 00z are bringing some interest.  I hope it builds momentum so that we have a chance of wintry weather 

Turnedoutniceagain......you forgot WALL OF SNOW!!! Lol

BFTP

So December MAY not be written off as previously thought by many.The vagaries off following every run X times a day

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ECH1-240.gif

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-0-384.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Around that. Between -20 to -22 at 2m. A short lived affair by the looks of it though, luckily. At that temperature the elderly and animals will start dying.

None of the GEFS buying it though and you would have thought at just T216 a few would be showing it. 

Yr.no showing -24 for Warsaw. Not good for the vulnerable you're right, just bitter painful vold. Doubtful whether it will verify, I don't think I need to see pack ice on the River Vistula to feel Christmassy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, Snow Grain said:

That would bring wet and windy weather, with some snow at elevation.

Yes,quite a bit of snow too anywhere from Peak District north.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Yr.no showing -24 for Warsaw. Not good for the vulnerable you're right, just bitter painful vold. Doubtful whether it will verify, I don't think I need to see pack ice on the River Vistula to feel Christmassy.

I'll send you a PM, but it looks like Warsaw will get some light snow out of it as well.

Posted

It's at t240 and won't come off but folks need to understand the differences in air types. Dam figures are between 515-520 on the t240 chart for 90% of the uk. Easily cold enough for snow. Also you need to couple that with the more unstable air and the higher cloud base of the showers. 

An easterly has a very different airmass far more shallow and far more affected by 850,s and surface temps. 

If anybody wants to give an metreologocial reason why the f240 chart wouldn't be mainly snow showers then fine but the figures don't back that up. 

• Like 8

Posted
6 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

It's at t240 and won't come off but folks need to understand the differences in air types. Dam figures are between 515-520 on the t240 chart for 90% of the uk. Easily cold enough for snow. Also you need to couple that with the more unstable air and the higher cloud base of the showers. 

An easterly has a very different airmass far more shallow and far more affected by 850,s and surface temps. 

If anybody wants to give an metreologocial reason why the f240 chart wouldn't be mainly snow showers then fine but the figures don't back that up. 

Well said, a good 240h chart and a wintry one at that, as I stated previously.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The interesting feature on the 240 ecm is both the Russian high and drop iof large 'once' Canadian vortex.

Its slams the block to the east infiltrating a Russian waa scenario. Correct alignment would begin to 'possibly show heights build to the NW further on' creating a decently placed trough over ourselves allowing perhaps a blocky situation and attacks of deep polar air inflow. ..one possibility atm..However with the wild swings of late' evolution of blocking to the north north east are still on the table...though weakening with signal with time.

Certainly interesting! 

5850fc97c8fd0_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_ECH1-240.thumb.gif.a88706f44d6abdf3158aeabaff482ada.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Well said, a good 240h chart and a wintry one at that, as I stated previously.

Hmm, not sure. Scotland and the north west of England will get some snow from it, but the surface temperatures for anything other than parts of Scotland mean the chances of it accumulating are slim. That's based on 2m min temperatures and snowfall totals from the ECM from behind a pay wall, so I can't post it, sorry.

Edited by jvenge
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Hmm, not sure. Scotland and the north west of England will get some snow from it, but the surface temperatures for anything other than parts of Scotland mean the chances of it accumulating are slim. That's based on 2m min temperatures and snowfall totals from the ECM from behind a pay wall, so I can't post it, sorry.

Ok, I'm not suggesting any widespread accumulation. But many will see falling wintry precipitation and for the UK that will be welcome indeed after the last few winters. .

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 2