Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
33 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Those updates that Matt posts seem to have changed everyday for the last week. I know he is just quoting from a source so not dissing him but just saying. Should that source be looked upon as reliable?

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Those updates that Matt posts seem to have changed everyday for the last week. I know he is just quoting from a source so not dissing him but just saying. Should that source be looked upon as reliable?

Depends if you want a forecast or someone relaying the outputs...

The problem with twitter is that theres not much room for a decent long winded post so its just a short & sweet summary...

S

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Evening All- 

So x2 days off since the last post, however I may as well copy & paste what I wrote then on the last update- 

No change expected till post Christmas now im afraid :(

So with that in mind all the reference points are all the same - perhaps slightly enhanced ie...

Vortex- becoming even stronger - zonal wind heading up to a mean of about 50-52M/S

- the important context here is at the same time of 2015 the zonal wind speed was only 2-3 M/S faster so essentially in around 5-6 days time we are in the same mire as last winter...

IMG_0034.PNG

* the only difference is that the core of the vortex is displaced just slightly NW ( relative to the UK ) V where it was last year-

* Southern Scandi heights get the boost across from the UK at the weekend with core central thickness increasing from 560 DAM to ~ 574 - which makes it a very stable feature

* The reverse flow over Iberia all the way back to Eastern Europe *MAY* get some re-inforcement late next week highlighted by the JMA-

IMG_0036.PNG

so essentially the status quo of the 2 main players with the low heights over Iberia > Italy a sub plot in the main story line-

In terms of of the Uk the finer detail of the mid term & onto Xmas still remains illusive however with the anomalies mooching about in the same places -its all got a bit of +1 about it, a bit like watching a programme then watching it again..

I would say the 'potential' shown towards xmas in the shape of possible change in the atlantic has taken a step back in the last 24-48 in favour of more of the same ( no atlantic retrogression or amplification ) however it could re-emerge with just 12 days to the big day-

Will it be seasonal- well I think we might just scrape 'normality' in the form of faux cold from the SE but being such a fine line im inclined to think it might be faux 'faux' cold- ie not quite as cold as it could have been-

lastly- not mych silver lining - especially in the form of the context around Jan as at first glance it appears to be much the same- however zonal wind peak looks to be projected @ day 10 with moderation post that- & CFS continues to project a SSW in the new year - ( early Jan ) - with the usual 10 day propergation windows...

Not particularly great tonight but thats how it is....

S

Great to hear a realist review especially from a pro on here that i hold with high regard tells it how it is...

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, nick sussex said:

For newbies who might be confused with some of tonights comments. Just think of it this way, PV dark purples to the north trying to sink the high, that low pressure you can see in the Med is doing its best to stop that from happening.

In these situations something has to give, eventually one wins out, you either get the PV winning out or you'll see it slowly weaken or at least edge west , in that case you'll see some trough disruption with some energy heading se and in effect giving that low pressure a top up. At this point the high after being battered and bruised picks itself up and starts to ridge north again.

For this reason whenever you see a chart in winter which has low pressure in the northern Med then this is a big help, its very difficult for milder conditions to get in with that there and it can often deliver cold to the UK.

For those that have followed the thread over recent days you'll see I've been less than enthused by the outputs however because of that low pressure in the Med I'm willing to wait and see where we go from here. The PV may win out but theres a chance it won't.

Good post, yes we have opposing forces with the UK stuck in the middle somewhat, the block to the east, against quite a strong PV to our NW, its unclear how things may pan out, but lowering heights over the med, as you say will not make it an easy ride for the atlantic to steamroller in, trough disruption could occur, or the jet is forced on a very NE path ushering in cold continental air on a light SE/E feed. Not sure what to make of it all. Interesting to see very cold uppers digging into north mid atlantic behind the fronts - so if we did see the atlantic breaking through, we could see some potent cold PM air behind, sub 522 dam air very close to western UK shores shown in some of the outputs.

If the block can hold the atlantic back early next week - when we really do see it getting up to fourth gear, then prospects longer term of it holding it bay through into christmas will be significant, but we have a number of days to go yet..

• Like 5

Posted

The PV from hell desperately trying to demolish the block but its not going down without a fight. The block is better orientated this time and the colder air further west. We really want to see that colder air develop the Genoa Low but its not that far fetched to think we might see more trough disruption closer to the time. At this range do the outputs have the jet modelled correctly?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Kentish Snowman said:

When they finally see the light

The 850s are to warm

But there's still ten days to go

Till it snows till it snows till it snows

Altogether now!.....

Sorry mods!  :oops:

too warm

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

There is no snow in the air yet but I  do think gfs looks ok going forward we  have lower pressure in  Southern Europe and the westerly flow hitting a brick wall to north and east of uk be patient the cold and snow will come . Well hope so.:D

IMG_0004.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

There is no snow in the air yet but I  do think gfs looks ok going forward we  have lower pressure in  Southern Europe and the westerly flow hitting a brick wall to north and east of uk be patient the cold and snow will come . Well hope so.:D

IMG_0004.PNG

Tbh I can just see the intense low just spinning nne, ne. We need more negative tilt further sw tbh.

Gonna take a while for cold.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Snow on Christmas day for the Scottish mountains..boom!:santa-emoji::yahoo:

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

GFS 18z operational continues the theme really of High pressure either too far East or pulsing up from the Azores and stretching back into Europe again. There is a tendency to try to bring in more unsettled weather closer from the W/NW later in the run towards Xmas.

A blocked pattern it certainly has been, but it just hasn't worked out for the UK whatsoever yet apart from our cold snap late November. I'm probably not the only one getting a bit tired now of mostly grey skies day in day out with occasional fragments of rain. I know flooding is not what anyone wants, but quite frankly I would prefer a more unsettled flow from the W/NW because at least then we often get PM air as fronts move through and more sunny skies than this. My interest in weather is tested by these "grey" blocked patterns, because I like variety of weather at the surface. (although those with more interest in actual modelling of weather may find it more intriguing to understand the factors that are causing it)

Still hoping for more interest towards the New Year, but really that is just hope right now.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 4

Posted

but when all hope we think has gone

tomorrows pub run goes off on one

and there is still ten days to go

till it snows till it snows till it snows

couldnt resist  forgive me

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The 18z GEFS have trended very zonal by the look of things to me although I haven't delved too deep, I have only picked out a few and looked at the mean.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It was the only bit of interest the 18z had to offer..The Scottish ski industry will be praying for this :reindeer-emoji::D

18_288_preciptype.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The 18z GEFS have trended very zonal by the look of things to me although I haven't delved to deep, I have only picked out a few and looked at the mean.

Maybe in the medium term but not really in the longer term

gens-21-1-384.png

There are some very nice ones but much more variability though with a big swathe of yellows at or slightly higher than our latitudes.

gens-7-1-384.pnggens-22-1-384.png

Problem is it keeps staying at the +300 mark so nothing definite or you could say is trend. However it does show what is possible and if the majority showed raging zonality then we could be sure that would happen so this preferable.

gens-15-1-384.png

Edited by swilliam

Posted
6 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The 18z GEFS have trended very zonal by the look of things to me although I haven't delved too deep, I have only picked out a few and looked at the mean.

You're spot on there. The ensembles started the day with promise for the easterly and have gradually backed off.

Well have you ever seen such a stuck pattern. The Atlantic is to strong to let the block in. The block is too strong to let the Atlantic in. It's a complete stalemate. On the 18Z, even after a period where it seems the Atlantic is getting the upper hand, back comes the block later on. Oh the frustration! Cold runs are so close, you can smell them at times but just forever out of reach. 

Net result are winds between SW and SE for the most part.

Well one side or the other has to give at one point, but we aren't in a position to judge just yet.

• Like 2

Posted

As per normal the GEFS following the ECM eps into a more zonal outlook (the GEFS generally about a day behind in smelling the coffee). Why people put their faith in the GFS and GEFS, God only knows.

gensnh-21-1-240.png

I'm hoping today is the nadir and that things get better from a NWP perspective going forward.  Tell will tell as ever...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And the Booker prize goes to pert's 14

a good easterly flow of snow flurries :D

and the pv smashed to bits

gensnh-14-1-384.pnggensnh-14-0-384.png

second prize goes to pert's 20

gensnh-20-1-384.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3