Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
59 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Glosea for me - its modelling of the strat is second to none and been faultless for a few years since its inception. mild to very mild winter overall for me.

Didn't Glosea indicate a cold loaded first half to Winter?

Edited by Abyss
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
16 minutes ago, Nick F said:

With the potential for the trop PV retreating west over Canada because of the +EPO / break down of Aleutian high I mentioned in my last post, certainly feasible for a high to the west as per 18z GFS FI, though equally the high may ridge north over or east of the UK, depending how the wavelengths adjust.

Everything is feasible two weeks out including Santa riding in on an Easterly, I'm just of the opinion the only aid blocking to our East will be is to help back up the Atlantic enough to get a little amplification upstream.

That could be a bad call but I just don't see an Easterly with a Scandi/Russian block even with a fairly favourable turnaround upstream, in that instance I would expect the high to retrogress NW with only a brief Se/E/NE flow as it attempted to retrogress either ending in a failed attempt and UK high or better attempt and trough dropping through Scandi which would be the opposite of Scandi high/Easterly scenario.

The undercut necessary does not seem possible but a negatively tilted trough and retrogressing high seems more plausible - I just don't favour as I think the the Atlantic pattern will be too fast and flat meaning high pressure will likely be further East and accordingly the trough and by way of logic any amplification upstream would be Atlantic sector in such a scenario.

I will admit the current anomalies don't suggest any of this, they are just the possibilities I see in my minds eye having watched the output slowly evolve toward a new pattern somewhere around Christmas.

Not often I stick my neck out but someone has to be the Xmas pudding.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
35 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

BA the JMA later output ties in with your earlier post re the Siberian high giving the Euro high a helping hand nw and troughing digging se.

Desperate times when we start wheeling out the JMA, though I suppose that model has more cred than NOGAPS. 

The short to medium range we will just have to make the most out of the potential for increasingly colder/drier surface air arriving from near continent late week and next weekend as still advertised by 18z GFS, with return of frosty nights. But there are increasing signs we may see sufficient changes in the upper flow around Xmas to perhaps bring something more interesting ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Desperate times when we start wheeling out the JMA, though I suppose that model has more cred than NOGAPS.

The short to medium range we will just have to make the most out of the potential for increasingly colder/drier surface air arriving from near continent late week and next weekend as still advertised by 18z GFS, with return of frosty nights. But there are increasing signs we may see sufficient changes in the upper flow around Xmas to perhaps bring something more interesting ...

Lol! Yes and I think the current situation does qualify as desperate times! The last few weeks of tedium would be forgotten if we could somehow get something interesting over Christmas.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 hours ago, Weathervane said:

That would be a great call. One of my favourites from the archives is December 1938 when a high migrates from  around Nova Zemyla to Scandinavia over a week or so. Unforeseen then and I wonder how well it would have been forecasted today?

IMG_0289.PNG

IMG_0290.PNG

Oh what I would give for a chart like that on 20th Dec....:ball-santa-emoji:

But GFS 18z London ENS are having none of it, Yuk!

graphe_ens3.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Positives from the 00z. The euroslug is on the move again at the end of the run. Seems to be a growing trend. 18z parallel for comparison.

gfs-0-384 (5).png

gfs-0-384 (7).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

If that T384 GFS 0z Op chart is the best the GFS has to offer this morning then I think I'll go back to sleep for another 2 weeks.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
10 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Positives from the 00z. The euroslug is on the move again at the end of the run. Seems to be a growing trend. 18z parallel for comparison.

gfs-0-384 (5).png

gfs-0-384 (7).png

We have seen the retrogressing high scenario played out many times already in FI over the last few weeks but it has never made it inside day10.

We can but hope.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The only thing on my mind here is 'drought'.  ah well at least my pre Xmas visits to Wales will not be affected by the weather 

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

Today

Cool with fog in some central southern areas but clearing fairly quickly. Sporadic light rain, already into the south west, will track north east during the day. Becoming drier over night but the next frontal systems soon arriving late Tuesday/early Wednesday.Remaining quite mild today particularly in parts of the south west.

1hourprecip_d02_9.png1hourprecip_d02_24.pngtemperature_d02_28.png

Yesterday evening the were indications of a change in the long wave patter upstream in the latter stages of the run which could well influence proceedings downstream with the tough in the NW Atlantic becoming less influential but how that effect the evolution in the eastern isn't yet clear, well to me anyway. So as usual just sticking to the next ten days where the pattern has as yet not changed hugely so it remains the day to day interaction between the energy emitted upstream and the Azores ridging which just needs sorting.

As mentioned above the next frontal systems arrive Wednesday morning but the upper trough deconstructs against the ridge so quickly on to a repeat on Friday

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_18.png

From here until day ten the HP sets it's stall out to the east/south east replenished by the Azores feeder whilst the trough(s) run east/north east on the strong thermal gradient that this interaction produces.

gfs_z500a_natl_32.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_32.png

By day ten the large, complex, trough to the north has has depressed the high pressure somewhat thus allowing systems to track further south and and impact the top half of the country.

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_41.png

A quick synopsis of the weather. With high pressure being in mainly in charge the period will be quite dry, especially so in the south east. with just some sporadic rain in the west. The exception being Scotland which may well cop some fronts as systems track further south. Temps generally around average.

gfs_tprecip_uk2_41.png

The GEFS anomalies this morning confirm the pattern change and the decline of the Atlantic trough but no indication of height rises to the east, more a return to zonality

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, Nick F said:

My memory maybe failing here but I'm sure some reputable person in the past said JMA model is regarded by the Met Office. This raised some surprise. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Recm2401.gif

ECM-day10....wet.and..windy..christmas..incoming?

it would be a welcome site for some after near drought conditions for the past 2 months but dont underestimate the euro slug its hanging on for dear life

Edited by igloo

Posted
48 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

My memory maybe failing here but I'm sure some reputable person in the past said JMA model is regarded by the Met Office. This raised some surprise. 

I think they are well-regarded for tropical forecasting

7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Recm2401.gif

ECM-day10....wet.and..windy..christmas..incoming?

Thank goodness it's day 10! Though all models seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet this morning. Still think we may see changes to the wavelengths around Xmas due to tropical forcing / changes over the NE Pacific.

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I think they are well-regarded for tropical forecasting

Thank goodness it's day 10! Though all models seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet this morning. Still think we may see changes to the wavelengths around Xmas due to tropical forcing / changes over the NE Pacific.

Hopeso.Nick...'winter'..fast..turning..into,,another.horror.show..:wallbash:

WAA..into..the...arctic?uppers..+5.into..the..Barents.sea.

Recm2402.gif

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

Posted

The ecm is not dissimilar to the GFS up to around T180 when the vortex and the trough make their move. This latter period is still to be resolved.

ecm_z500_anom_natl_10.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The only thing on my mind here is 'drought'.  ah well at least my pre Xmas visits to Wales will not be affected by the weather 

BFTP

Thinking exactly the same BFTP not much change in the models at the moment

Posted

Interesting feature headed into the Atlantic day 10 on ec op. The cold high started its life as part of the Siberian vortex ridge (its there at T0) . not sure we have seen one of these work its way around the NH, given the fairly neutral/neg AO that has been persistent thus far. 

If it were to verify, it might be an interesting  addition to the equation .

Posted

Heights dominating to the south and east but nothing in the way of cold, by that I mean in the way of sub minus 5 uppers, being forecast for the uk. Whilst we continue to dream about an '87 or '91 I feel winter will slowly ebb away and we'll remain in nomans land. Hopefully the Vortex will move from the north west to the north east sooner rather than later, probably have to wait until new year for that though, then we may have a better chance of something more interesting 

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well that's a good update for a Monday morning. No way way was I expecting that. Thought it would be the EC flipping back. Look forward to updates tonight/ tomorrow 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Firstly sorry mods if this is wrong thread (strat thread maybe?) but do the models take into account the effects of space weather?  I only ask as where this thread has been quieter of late, I've been attempting to understand the connections between solar winds,polar stratospheric  clouds sunspot numbers etc and the effects on our weather (or more importantly our winters!) could someone please point me in the right direction to learn more? thank you