Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Some support from the parallel for this evolution too.

gfsnh-0-384_zml7.png

Are you feeling ok? You just suggested a cold outcome had support... :rofl: Must be the festive season!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

-10C uppers to within 100 miles of the SE - at the very end of the run - eh? What's the betting that, by the time that date arrives, there'll be +15C uppers coming all the way from Africa? That said, I wouldn't mind them either!:laugh:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Seasonality said:

Are you feeling ok? You just suggested a cold outcome had support... :rofl: Must be the festive season!

because it has!!!   -   funny how ive been told I'm the biggest cold ramper on here in seasons past! -  If you go through all the threads of years gone by, you will see that I predict cold and mild, I'm still calling this odds against btw, it will need more than 50% of ens members across all suites showing a potent protracted Easterly as being the favourite before I call it that way - whats wrong with that?

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Unfair. I think it is pretty clear what was meant.

We likely would not even get a frost out of the chart you posted with daytime temps around 6C to 8C

It is actually more disingenuous for you to call me out and say we will get an Easterly that I didn't predict based on a single chart that shows a slack continental flow that was actually in charts when I posted!

I even mentioned temporary slack S/SE flow. 

If we get a genuine Easterly I will be the first to hold my hands up.

Sorry Mucka, I thought you were having just a bit of fun, so I thought I would join in!! Some on here may recall I said I would run down the street naked if we didn't get a heatwave during a part of August ... I got a lot stick on here when it was clear it wasn't going to happen!! 

Certainly if the UKMO is closer to the mark tonight, we'll be less likely to get an easterly. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

-10C uppers to within 100 miles of the SE - at the very end of the run - eh? What's the betting that, by the time that date arrives, there'll be +15C uppers coming all the way from Africa? That said, I wouldn't mind them either!:laugh:

Streuth what Knocker......how cold Egypt and Arabic states are? :cold:

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The later frames of the GFS op are certainly full of Christmas cheer although of course just for fun at that range.

What it does show though is the way to get an easterly from the current setup.Not perfect ,we could with the high a tad further north and more trough disruption underneath but a step towards a really cold pattern with sub zero uppers about to land in the se.

One consistent trend does continue though and that is signal for a Euro/Scandi block so that the Atlantic can't make any head way into Europe or indeed much of the UK.

• Like 6

Posted

The ending of the gfs ops is now getting interesting - not because it's the far end of an ops run which is usually worth little or no attention but because given the current gefs/eps theme, I think it's the only feasible way we could get deep cold to our shores pre new year. It fits the ext ens in broad terms but it relies on a few things going our way

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Streuth what Knocker......how cold Egypt and Arabic states are? :cold:

BFTP

Have you changed my name, Fred?:D

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

GFS still keen on cold continent flow around Christmas with Scandinavia block in place.  Looks like Atlantic now wants to undercut  rather than going over the top. Will be cold in that surface flow with DP well below zero across England and Wales. C

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The ending of the gfs ops is now getting interesting - not because it's the far end of an ops run which is usually worth little or no attention but because given the current gefs/eps theme, I

The GFS MJO forecasts are keener on Phases 7/8 if I recall which is maybe why we are getting these scenarios from the GEFS. The ECM ens keep the MJO in the COD and therefore and not offering these solutions.

Time will tell who will be right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Those charts while looking good are way too far out in FI as usual and has often been the case this winter. If these charts verify within a week then that`s reason to start getting more enthusiastic IMHO. 

How many times have we all got excited by FI charts only to be let down time and time again.  Ignore them at those distances as too much can change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Finally some interest right at the end of the run! Let's see if this kind of evolution can move forward into the 200's over the next few days. Got to start somewhere on our next road to find that pot of gold. I'll post that chart again like everybody else has to keep up the spirits as it's nice to look at.

gfsnh-0-384.png

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The ending of the gfs ops is now getting interesting - not because it's the far end of an ops run which is usually worth little or no attention but because given the current gefs/eps theme, I think it's the only feasible way we could get deep cold to our shores pre new year. It fits the ext ens in broad terms but it relies on a few things going our way

Yes this scenario has come up before as you know but  i take it you noticed the transformation upstrem in just a couple of days. Rapid amplification, doing away with the vortex (neatly), ridging from the Caribbean connecting to the European HP, etc, etc, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

gfs_z500a_nh_65.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
17 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Sorry Mucka, I thought you were having just a bit of fun, so I thought I would join in!! Some on here may recall I said I would run down the street naked if we didn't get a heatwave during a part of August ... I got a lot stick on here when it was clear it wasn't going to happen!! 

Certainly if the UKMO is closer to the mark tonight, we'll be less likely to get an easterly. 

No worries mate.

I'm all for the banter of your first post, it was the second post that I thought was misleading readers because you appeared to be serious about the idea I was backtracking.

The trouble is that it is a perpetual struggle not to have posts misconstrued or misrepresented or taken out of context so while I took your first post as tongue in cheek the second suggested you were more serious than I thought so I felt further clarification was needed because we are in a public forum not PM.

It's just forum life. :diablo::friends:

I honestly would rather get a nice cold Easterly and snow for Xmas than be right.

I'm just hoping GFS will eventually bring one of these retrogressing high scenarios forward instead of continually pushing them back into deepest reaches of fI.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
9 minutes ago, carinthian said:

GFS still keen on cold continent flow around Christmas with Scandinavia block in place.  Looks like Atlantic now wants to undercut  rather than going over the top. Will be cold in that surface flow with DP well below zero across England and Wales. C

GFSOPEU12_384_1.png

Further to the above post Looks like the main Atlantic jet wants to dive SE into Iberia and Morocco. Big shift between Christmas and New Year . Maybe the models are finding another route to dislodge the block. An undercut could produce the winter goods many want to see on here. More runs yet, hopefully GFS is on to something.

C

hgt300.png

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, offerman said:

Those charts while looking good are way too far out in FI as usual and has often been the case this winter. If these charts verify within a week then that`s reason to start getting more enthusiastic IMHO. 

How many times have we all got excited by FI charts only to be let down time and time again.  Ignore them at those distances as too much can change.

Who is getting carried away? Or who is showing to much enthusiasm?

It would be nice if we could read this thread without having to read stuff like this that only serves to stop the poster in question getting disappointed. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

Yes this scenario has come up before as you know but  i take it you noticed the transformation upstrem in just a couple of days. Rapid amplification, doing away with the vortex (neatly), ridging from the Caribbean connecting to the European HP, etc, etc, I'll believe it when I see it. :)

gfs_z500a_nh_65.png

I think the retrogression probably overdone on that run as well as the potential undercutting. However, as you are aware, even the extended eps have sharpened the Atlantic trough and dropped the low anomoly further south over the past couple runs in conjunction with the uppper ridge persisting over s scandi. It's not an evolution that is inconceivable although it's likely the cold end of the envelope 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at the GFS ens and the high isn't over as much of the UK for Christmas as it was on the 06z                                                            

gens-21-1-336.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Looking at the GFS ens and the high isn't over as much of the UK for Christmas as it was on the 06z

12z                                                                 06z

gens-21-1-336.pnggens-21-1-348.png?6

I only see two 12z charts should there be an 06z to compare?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

I only see two 12z charts should there be an 06z to compare?

Yep for some reason It didn't put the 06z one over I have now removed it

Anyway, the GFS ens doesn't support the Op with its SE'ly

Op                                                               Ens

gfs-0-360.png?12gens-21-1-360.png?12

Edited by Summer Sun